Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 513919 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #7275 on: March 19, 2018, 06:39:02 PM »
We went mattress shopping at John Lewis yesterday and I was thinking of you Margo. Luckily, the mattress we both liked was the second cheapest.  I can't remember if it had buttons.
The original mattress that caused this drama because it needed to be replaced was from John Lewis, one of the cheaper ones. It didn't even last 3 years! It was in such bad shape, and all the online reviews for it now are one star. So make sure you check those! I was shocked that it had absolutely no guarantee for how long it should last. My husband basically got all the cheapest furniture possible when he moved into his previous flat, and it was all falling apart by the time I moved over.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7276 on: March 19, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »
At least he made it home though!

Yeah we were up until well after midnight. We went to this buffet place called Cosmo (it's a chain but not sure what cities have them and which don't) and my husband ate so much he actually made himself ill (thinking he got food poisoning but he was just WAY WAY WAY too full lol).

We've got one in Derby. 😁
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #7277 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »
Bad Customer Service can make one crazy. ::)

My current beef is with Amazon Warehouse Deals. Who once again sent me something that had to have been broken before it was boxed up, as it was in a cardboard box that was ripped and packed inside a heat-sealed plastic bag, which was packed loose in a larger box with a heavier item. (It was a box of glass microscope slides and covers vs a thingy of bug spray. I am surprised more of them were not broken on arrival, actually.) This comes on the heels of the broken hamster chateau fiasco, and some kitchen gadgets ordered a couple of months prior to that. Seriously, it's been obvious when the items have arrived that they were broken before they were wrapped up to be sent - but they were still advertised as "like new". Riiiight.  Took a week for them to refund my money. Actually, it's still not refunded but they had someone come pick up the slides (all 7 pounds' worth) and return them to Fife and have acknowledged receipt of same after a week. No more orders from Amazon Warehouse, that was the third strike, and they are out.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7278 on: March 20, 2018, 09:41:18 AM »
Haha!  That's probably not what I meant!  Ha!  Sorry!  I just meant we ... ah, nevermind.  :P

keyword being "probably"....because it very well still might be! :p
We've got one in Derby. 😁

haha it was literally the first time I had had an all you can eat buffet here in the UK and I wasn't disappointed! haha came to literally £20pp for fountain drinks and food. Perfect for when you are in the mood to eat loads of different types of food!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7279 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »
haha came to literally £20pp for fountain drinks and food.

Per person or for two?

« Reply #7280 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »

My current beef is with Amazon Warehouse Deals. Who once again sent me something that had to have been broken before it was boxed up, as it was in a cardboard box that was ripped and packed inside a heat-sealed plastic bag, which was packed loose in a larger box with a heavier item. (It was a box of glass microscope slides and covers vs a thingy of bug spray. I am surprised more of them were not broken on arrival, actually.) This comes on the heels of the broken hamster chateau fiasco, and some kitchen gadgets ordered a couple of months prior to that. Seriously, it's been obvious when the items have arrived that they were broken before they were wrapped up to be sent - but they were still advertised as "like new". Riiiight.  Took a week for them to refund my money. Actually, it's still not refunded but they had someone come pick up the slides (all 7 pounds' worth) and return them to Fife and have acknowledged receipt of same after a week. No more orders from Amazon Warehouse, that was the third strike, and they are out.

I'm sorry Nan, that sucks :( I've only ever had positive experiences with Amazon and we use Amazon almost daily I swear so have been really lucky. I usually tend to avoid Amazon Warehouse because of the risk that even "like new" might be damaged but found this boardgame that's usually £35+ on sale for £23 after 20% discount. Think there is likely some box damage but that's it (and it might be the German version but there's no reading in the game so should be totally fine). It's meant to be coming today so we'll see....
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #7281 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »
Per person or for two?

per person but that was including a few quid for tip as well. Dinner is £15.50 or something like that pp and then the refillable drinks are another £2 or thereabouts.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7282 on: March 20, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »
per person but that was including a few quid for tip as well. Dinner is £15.50 or something like that pp and then the refillable drinks are another £2 or thereabouts.

I went to the Cosmo in Bristol once, but it's been closed for a while now and I haven't seen any others around. Hmm, should have done a Google search first... apparently it's still open. Weird because I walk past the area often and I haven't noticed it being there for years :P.

The only problem I have with all-you-can-eat buffets is that I don't have a very big appetite... one plate of food and I'm done... so it's not really worth the money for me :P.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:58:25 AM by ksand24 »

« Reply #7283 on: March 20, 2018, 10:18:11 AM »
I went to the Cosmo in Bristol once, but it's been closed for a while now and I haven't seen any others around. Hmm, should have done a Google search first... apparently it's still open. Weird because I walk past the area often and I haven't noticed it being there for years :P.

The only problem I have with all-you-can-eat buffets is that I don't have a very big appetite... one plate of food and I'm done... so it's not really worth the money for me :P.

So I am similar to you in that respect. Although I can eat more than one plate, I have to pace myself (and they only give you an hour and a half or something). I made the mistake of getting lots of carb-y things (dumplings, steamed buns, etc.) first because I can't resist Japanese food which was a mistake. I should've done that last.... I ate smaller plates and sampled a bit of almost everything but then LOADED up on the puds hahahah It was borderline sad.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7284 on: March 20, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »
The original mattress that caused this drama because it needed to be replaced was from John Lewis, one of the cheaper ones. It didn't even last 3 years! It was in such bad shape, and all the online reviews for it now are one star. So make sure you check those! I was shocked that it had absolutely no guarantee for how long it should last. My husband basically got all the cheapest furniture possible when he moved into his previous flat, and it was all falling apart by the time I moved over.

Uh oh

« Reply #7285 on: March 20, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »

Aw man, that's awful. Is amazon warehouse second hand items? I'm guessing it depends on the seller, and over here so many are crap :(

« Reply #7286 on: March 20, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »
Aw man, that's awful. Is amazon warehouse second hand items? I'm guessing it depends on the seller, and over here so many are crap :(

Yeah so Amazon Warehouse is all the items that have been returned (I imagine they won't sell something they *know* is defective. You can read the description. For example, the game that's arriving today says "Used - Like New" for condition and says that the box may have a bit of damage. Might have been damaged in shipping. Others have said In original packaging but might have damage to packaging. Might say re-packaged as a person opened it, decided it wasn't right, then returned it. They will often times offer additional discount %. A lot of the games in the games section of the Warehouse appeared to be German so I was wondering if maybe there was a bad shipment of German-language games or people buying the games without actually reading the description and then returning the game when they realised they couldn't read German or - like with the one I'm getting - didn't look to know that there is no reading required. Bargains can be had but I imagine it's also risky, depending on what you order.

I think with Nan's case, you can plan for a potentially damaged item, but you expect that Amazon will give you good customer service and it sounds like this wasn't the case for her :( They have always been excellent with us either on the phone or via the chat, so I feel bad that other people like Nan aren't getting that same good service! Makes getting a damaged product even more irritating
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 676
« Reply #7287 on: March 20, 2018, 05:11:59 PM »

Amazon Warehouse is Amazon.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #7288 on: March 20, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »
I've decided to go to the A&E tomorrow after work.  I would go in the morning but I really can't miss my shift. We are already very short staffed.

My feet tonight.  They are getting worse. My toes turned purple for a few minutes when I was in the shower.

I'm swollen from my breast bone down to my toes. And the swelling in my pubic bone area is out of control!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #7289 on: March 20, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
I've decided to go to the A&E tomorrow after work.  I would go in the morning but I really can't miss my shift. We are already very short staffed.

My feet tonight.  They are getting worse. My toes turned purple for a few minutes when I was in the shower.

I'm swollen from my breast bone down to my toes. And the swelling in my pubic bone area is out of control!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Oh my :( are you short of breath at all? I'd be there tonight honestly if my legs had that much edema and toes changed color. I'm sorry this has continued and I really hope you get some quick help tomorrow!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links