Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job Seekers Allowance  (Read 2539 times)

Job Seekers Allowance
« on: December 05, 2010, 01:40:15 AM »
Hmm, several stupid questions here please bare with me :) and just FYI I'm a UKC.

I was made redundant a week ago (sob!) and my last day was the 30th November, there was no issue with my termination (i.e it wasn't a constructive dismissal) my job just doesn't exist anymore.

Can I claim Job Seeker's Allowance? Is there any time limit on when I can apply? Like do I have to be unemployed a certain time?

According to direct.gov I qualify under these rules -

To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must be:
available for, capable and actively seeking work
aged 18 or over but below State Pension age
working less than 16 hours per week on average
in Great Britain

I'm not really sure what I'm doing so I'm planning on calling on Monday but does anyone know if being made redundant "counts" for a benefit claim?

Thanks!

• Liked: 6
Re: Job Seekers Allowance
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 03:18:23 AM »
You should have no problems applying for JSA.  My husband was made redundant last year, and had no issue getting it.  If I remember correctly, he was getting contribution-based JSA, and when that was exhausted, they automatically switched him to income-based.

You don't have to be unemployed for any period of time before applying.  In fact, during my DH's last week of employment (the company he worked for had lost a big contract so a lot of people were losing their jobs) they had a benefits advice person on-site and the employees were all advised to make the application ASAP.  DH had his initial appointment 2 or 3 days after he was done with work.

The only thing that might affect your ability to apply would be how much redundancy pay you received or will receive.  The benefits office should be able to tell you what the threshold is for that.

Sorry to hear about your job loss :(
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:29:50 AM »
Yep, what she said. My ex claimed it every time he could (i.e. after he graduated, after his job contract was up, etc.). Actually, I may be wrong, but I think he was even able to claim it when he was in school part time but don't hold me to that. I can't recall the details.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
Yup - go ahead and claim now.  As Petunia pointed out, if you received a redundancy payout - that will be taken into account with regard to how much benefit you receive and/or when you would start receiving benefit.  IIRC, Contribution-Based JSA (full benefit) for a single person right now is about £65 weekly.

Also - not sure what your DB's visa situation is presently (I think he's on ILR, isn't he? if not, then take this advice accordingly as you can only claim the single person benefit), you should be able to apply for some Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit as well - because you may be eligible for some of that assistance too while you are not in work.  Oh & I'm sure you know that you don't have to pay for prescriptions while you are unemployed.

New job good vibes sent your way!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:18:56 AM by Mrs Robinson »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:35:41 PM »
Yup - go ahead and claim now.  As Petunia pointed out, if you received a redundancy payout - that will be taken into account with regard to how much benefit you receive and/or when you would start receiving benefit.  IIRC, Contribution-Based JSA (full benefit) for a single person right now is about £65 weekly.

Also - not sure what your DB's visa situation is presently (I think he's on ILR, isn't he? if not, then take this advice accordingly as you can only claim the single person benefit), you should be able to apply for some Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit as well - because you may be eligible for some of that assistance too while you are not in work.  Oh & I'm sure you know that you don't have to pay for prescriptions while you are unemployed.

New job good vibes sent your way!

He's still on his original student visa, I was going to apply online and they ask about having a partner, but it doesn't let you enter that he's only working part time because he's a full time student AND under immigration control so I thought it would be better if I called them on Monday. I also want to make sure I don't miss a month of pension contributions etc.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone, it was a shock and I was really sad but I'm feeling bright and good about my prospects now but to be fair £240 a month is a fair whack of money and if I'm eligible for it, I might as well claim.

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
Apply ASAP - for me, I didn't realize you had to phone in to make your application, so I waited to go in person, which meant they didn't count that week as part of the claim (I was jobless as of Monday, went in on Friday, and my claim was effective Friday, not Monday.)

Not that they ever fully processed my claim anyway, so I never got any money.  ::) But FYI anyway. :)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:11:13 PM »
Sorry about the redundancy dear. 
Exchange student visa 08/02 | Bunac visa 05/03 | Student visa 08/03 | Work visa 07/07  |  Married Stateside 27/09/09 | Spousal visa 04/11/09 | Returned to UK 5/12/09 | Settlement Visa (ILR) via post 05/12 | British Citizenship Checking Appointment 13/06/13 | Payment/Process notification 18/06/13 | British Citizenship approved 28/06/13 | Ceremony 21/08/2013 BRITISH CITIZEN!

• Banned

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:01:05 AM »
He's still on his original student visa, I was going to apply online and they ask about having a partner, but it doesn't let you enter that he's only working part time because he's a full time student AND under immigration control so I thought it would be better if I called them on Monday. I also want to make sure I don't miss a month of pension contributions etc.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone, it was a shock and I was really sad but I'm feeling bright and good about my prospects now but to be fair £240 a month is a fair whack of money and if I'm eligible for it, I might as well claim.

If you have paid enough contributions for the previous 2 tax years 2008/9 and 2009/10, you will get contribution based JSA for a maximum of 6 months, although they will take your redundancy pay into account before starting your 6 months.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:05:00 AM by Peter36 »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab