Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Desperate about Car Insurance Q! Rephrasing..  (Read 1798 times)

• Liked: 0
Desperate about Car Insurance Q! Rephrasing..
« on: March 20, 2003, 04:44:47 PM »
I don't think I phrased the other question properly...

All those out there driving an Automatic vechicle and still using your US license for the 1yr grace period, who insures you?  Are you still with the US insurance company or a UK one?  

Thanks.  

Re: Desperate about Car Insurance Q! Rephrasing..
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 10:36:54 PM »
Hi Kate,

Our car insurance is through Zurich (UK company.)  We got my car having been in the UK for one month.  My DH can't remember exactly why he chose them, but they had no problems with insuring us, both US citizens, newly arrived to the UK.  We pay about 79 pounds a month for both of us -- it's a bit higher than might be otherwise, but that's because my car is in a higher insurance rate category -- bigger engine, etc.  They didn't seem to have a problem with us having US licenses.

Hope this helps,
Stephanie
« Last Edit: March 20, 2003, 10:38:06 PM by stephanielathrop »

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 11:18:54 PM »
Give Direct Line a try

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 08:53:45 AM »
US insurance companies with no locations here won't insure you for driving over here. I was quite happy with Allstate in the US and one of the "getting ready to move" things on my checklist was talking with them to see if they would continue to cover me and my car when we both came over. Answer was "no" and when the date came, I was automatically cut off the insurance. I joined on to my husband's, and insured my US car through Norwich Union...not having a problem with me being US, nor it being a US car, even during that 1-year 'grace' period.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 09:01:36 AM »
I also used Norwich Union.
I was with them while driving on a provisional UK licence... my US licence had expired many years previously, so i don't think i even mentioned it to them.  ???
The car i was driving was not automatic.
Seemed the only condition to the insurance was that i must have a full UK licence within 12 months.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 09:02:20 AM by Badger »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab