Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US: Senate blocks Dream Act  (Read 769 times)

• Liked: 1
US: Senate blocks Dream Act
« on: December 18, 2010, 05:17:11 PM »
Looks like the Senate wasn't able to pass the Dream Act today, which would allow young illegal immigrants who entered the country as children a path to legalization and citizenship if they attended college or joined the military.  The bill actually had majority support of 55-41 but we all know that that's not enough to get anything done these days.  *eye roll*

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/us/politics/19immig.html?hp

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: US: Senate blocks Dream Act
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 11:09:10 PM »
This just royally pisses me off. But at least DADT got repealed. That's something.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 05:00:48 AM »
It royally pisses me off, too.  It seems like an obvious thing to do, to me!  I mean, really, young adults who want to be productive members of society and who entered the country under age 16, when they had little to no choice in the matter, should be allowed to become legal.  Many of them barely spent any time in their "home" country and for all intents and purposes are American.  It seriously seems like a no brainer to support this.  But apparently not.  Arg.

At least there's DADT, which is long, LONG overdue. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:52:55 PM »
hooray obstructionism!  God, the senate acts like such a crowd of babies sometimes.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
This just royally pisses me off. But at least DADT got repealed. That's something.

Oooooh, really??   :o

About time!

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
Very happy about DADT and very disappointed about the Dream Act.  By all means let's take away hope from these young people who many are already in high needs areas.

Don't make them aim for doing well in school or serving the US --let them aim towards a life in limbo...
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
Very happy about DADT and very disappointed about the Dream Act.  By all means let's take away hope from these young people who many are already in high needs areas.

Don't make them aim for doing well in school or serving the US --let them aim towards a life in limbo...

I agree.  It's such a blow.  If I've read it correctly, they were aiming to help people who came over as children and probably didn't know what was going on or that they were entering a country illegally.  They did what they were told by people they trust and now they are stuck because the US may be the only home they remember.  Deeply unhappy about this bill being blocked.

Sponsored Links