Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Buying a puppy in the UK  (Read 4098 times)

• Liked: 0
Buying a puppy in the UK
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »
Does anyone know how to get a puppy here in the UK? I've been looking for a Yorkie or Maltese and it is really not the same as in the US so anyone know how to go about looking for one that isn't too terribly expensive? I really don't want to adopt one because after perusing a couple adoption websites I don't feel I want to go through all the "red tape" so to speak to pay £150 or so for a dog I might be able to get depending on how someone else feels about how good of a dog owner I might be. So any suggestions would be good! Thanks!

04 June 09 Met now DH in a bar in Georgia
13 July 09 First trip to Scotland (3 months)
1 March 10 Second trip to Scotland (6 months)
7 Oct 10 Got married!
29 Nov 10 Biometric appt and sent app to NY priority service
2 Dec 10 Per USPS tracking delivered in NY
8 Dec 10 E-mail from NY they are processing it
9 Dec 10 Got Email Visa was approved!
10 Dec 10 Got Visa in the mail
12 Dec 10 Going home!!

Re: Buying a puppy in the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
I don't want to preach but if you insist on buying instead of adopting it's better to pay more for a puppy from a reputable breeder rather than someone on Gumtree etc who breeds dogs for profit.  You might end up paying more on vet bills with a dog that has genetic defects or personality disorders due to shoddy breeding practices.  When it comes to a commitment like a dog it's better to wait and save more to be assured of getting a high quality dog. 

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:24:12 PM »
I don't want to preach but if you insist on buying instead of adopting it's better to pay more for a puppy from a reputable breeder rather than someone on Gumtree etc who breeds dogs for profit.  You might end up paying more on vet bills with a dog that has genetic defects or personality disorders due to shoddy breeding practices.  When it comes to a commitment like a dog it's better to wait and save more to be assured of getting a high quality dog. 
This times a thousand.   I recently got a puppy.  Since it had been a more than 17 years since I had a puppy, a friend gave me one of the "Dog Whisperer" books about selecting a puppy.  One of the things he stresses is that spending more, not just money...but time as well, researching the breed (so you know where some of the genetic challenges are) and breeders and asking all the right questions,  will save you money and heartache in the long run.  You will also end up with a quality puppy that will be a pleasure to have in your home.

Check out the UK Kennel Club.  They have links to reputable breeders and all kinds of advice about what kind of questions to ask to make sure you are getting a healthy and happy puppy.

A puppy is a great joy and I wish you good luck on your search!
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
I know it's not what you want to hear but I really wish you would reconsider adopting rather than buying a dog...maybe you could find a shelter nearby and just pop in and ask some questions face to face with someone there? There are so many unwanted animals in the world, that although it may be slightly more convenient to just purchase one - its well worth the effort to go through a little paperwork to save a dog's life!
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:05 PM »
I know it's not what you want to hear but I really wish you would reconsider adopting rather than buying a dog...maybe you could find a shelter nearby and just pop in and ask some questions face to face with someone there? There are so many unwanted animals in the world, that although it may be slightly more convenient to just purchase one - its well worth the effort to go through a little paperwork to save a dog's life!
I agree with this...I know everyone wants the perfect dog but there are lots of perfect dogs out there that needs homes.  I am sure a shelter would be happy to have you adopt if you had adequate housing and basic necessity's.  It cant hurt to research that options as well b/c all of my dogs in the past have all been rescue/found dogs and they were all the most loving dogs EVER. Heck all my cats were adoptions too.
I have convinced DH when we get a garden aka grass we can get a dog and we will adopt. 

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:51:40 PM »
I agree with the rescue recommendations. I've had 2 rescue dogs and 1 from a breeder (not purebred, so she was cheap, but still good quality bloodlines - at least on one side!). The one from the breeder thought of herself as special and deserving of our attention...we were her minions to do as she pleased. The two rescues LOVE people and are happy for ANY attention, and are seriously sweet, friendly dogs. The dog from the breeder wasn't unfriendly, or not sweet, but the rescues are just so grateful. My current dog is a rescue, and he was never abused so he doesn't have any issues, he's just happy to have "his" person, rather than sharing attention with lots of other rescue dogs.

I know there are more hoops to jump through here than in the US with adopting, but I still think it's worth it!
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 05:13:47 AM »
I know that the OP didn't post here for an evaluation of her choice to purchase a dog, but I want to throw my two cents in here. I must say, as a recent adopter of an older dog, I do understand why people want puppies. Older dogs from shelters can come with special challenges that puppies usually don't have. I adopted a two year old beagle from the pound, and he has severe separation anxiety issues. I have no idea what his previous life was like before I met him; I only know that he was picked up as a stray and was in the shelter a month before I got him. As a result of his emotional trauma, I cannot leave him alone without him panicking. Right now, I have to keep him in his crate when I am not home, otherwise he will destroy my apartment. He will tear apart anything I leave in the crate, so the only thing he can have in his crate with him is a Kong toy, which is indestructible. He whines and barks while he is in the crate; I can hear him in the parking lot!

I researched breed rescue groups, but almost none of them would adopt to someone without a fenced yard, which is ludicrous, because you simply cannot keep a beagle locked up alone in the backyard; they will dig and get loose. I finally made the decision to search the pounds, because those animals are most in need. Everyone said adopting an older dog would be easier than getting a puppy, especially for a first-time dog owner, but now, I disagree. Of course, I love him to bits and am committed to keeping him through thick and thin, and I don't regret my choice, but there are challenges that I wasn't necessarily aware of beforehand.

Of course, how a puppy is raised at a breeder is crucial, and I second the recommendation for Cesar Millan's books. Research, research, research, and don't base your purchase decision on the cost of the dog. Good luck with whatever you decide!
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

"Everyone, just...pretend to be normal, okay?" - Little Miss Sunshine

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »
Thank you so much for all of your advice!!! I have absolutely no problem with adopting a dog (and it would be my first choice to adopt a dog as that is how I got most of my animals in the US), however, my issue is that I have researched the "dog pounds" and it seems to me (and I could be completely wrong but this is what I got from their websites) that you have to go through all kinds of paperwork and they come out and visit your home and decide if you are suitable for a dog. However, I feel that if I am going to be paying them to take a dog they should let me decide which dog I want not them decide which dog I am suitable for. I know what breed of dog I want and I know how much I have to spend on one and I know that some breeders here are not exactly reputable and I really have done my research on all of that. I just can't seem to find the dog that I want for the price I want. They are either all outrageously priced or looks like a scam and I don't want to risk paying for a dog and it have some kind of genetic defect (as someone has pointed out). I will have to call the "dog pound" around here and see what exactly they want from me and if I feel that I can pick which dog I want I will go that route. Again, thank you everyone for your advice!!
7 Oct 10 Got married!
12 Dec 10 Going home!!

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:11:05 AM »
My co-worker was turned down by the only local adoption centre because she worked once a week.

She knew the woman who was giving the dog away through her vet and they eventually decided to do a private adoption because the giver realised the dog was just going to be put down since the place would never find anyone.

The adopter had a small enclosed farm, had other types of dogs of the same breed (although not any more), but they cited that she worked one day a week and the dog might get anxious since her husband was home that day and she wouldn't understand. 

Also, she had three grandkids all over the age of 9, who visit a few times a month and the children were considered too young.   

• Liked: 35
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:46:26 PM »
The local pet shops and the vet where I live both have notices of dogs up for adoption from private families, usually free as well. Might be worth checking out places like that.

Andy

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
First of all "dog pounds" are much more than places who house homeless animals.  They are charities that are saving the lives of thousands of animals each year and part of the reason their fees are higher than breeders is because of this.  Many animals in a shelter have been discarded or replaced once already, and the shelter's job is to find the RIGHT family for their dogs to ensure the homes in which they are places will be their home forever.  
Some of the fee you pay them is to help them care for other animals. They are paying for medical treatment and other services for animals who have been abused, rejected, neglected and sometimes injured by the people who previously agreed to care for them.

I certainly hope that if you care for animals enough to get a dog of your own, you also care about the millions and millions of animals who are euthanized every day in animal shelters around the world because people like you (and many others) dont want to put forth a bit more effort to save a life rather than to "buy" a dog.  

They know about dog breeds, the know about the specific dogs in their care and they are serious about finding the BEST homes for them, not just the first person who comes along.   Their rules are sometimes frustrating, but they are not out to scam you.

Oh and by the way - do some simple research and you will find that "genetic defects" are much more common in pure bred dogs, especially those you get from irresponsible breeders who are willing to hand their puppies over to pretty much anyone without any paperwork or checking to make a few bucks.   Also do some research on puppy mills and see if you really want to support people who treat animals this way.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »
Mirrajay I think you totally misunderstood what I was saying and it's ok because I'll rephrase it for you. I was not saying anything about how much the fee is I was saying if I'm going to pay a fee it will be for something that I want and (being a previous dog owner) I know what breed of dog is right for me I don't need someone else to tell me what dog is right for me. I appreciate that they take the time to take in the unwanted dogs out there and I definitely do not have a problem with the fee as I know how much it costs to take care of an animal. I can see the animal shelters wanting to make sure they get the right home for dogs, if that person is a first time dog owner, but since I'm not I know what I want and I know what sort of breed I want and what is right for me. I have done my research on these breeds and I know exactly what they need and I am prepared to give it to them.
I am also well aware of the genetic defects in purebred dogs. Again, this is NOT my first purebred (or crossbred, whichever the case may be) dog. I have done every bit of research I could possibly do beyond getting a degree in that particular dog breed. I believe I said in my first statement that I am well aware of the ill-reputable dog breeders out there and I will do my research on them before I buy any dog from them as I don't want to waste my hard earned money on an animal that will end up dying on me in a few months time.
I hope that clarify's my previous statement for you.
7 Oct 10 Got married!
12 Dec 10 Going home!!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »
And I will rephrase what I said as well - Animal shelters aren't as interested in what YOU want as they are in what the dog needs and deserves.  For once in these dog's lives someone is willing to put THEM first.  They dont care if you have had 500 dogs in the past - simply having "owned" a dog before doesnt make you the best person to care for a particular dog.  Reading about the breed does not make you an expert, it does not ensure you know everything about a specific dog's needs, and it does not make you the best person to adopt the dog.  Especially since you seem to be more concerned about your money than the dog.

I don't want to waste my hard earned money on an animal that will end up dying on me in a few months time.
If a dog I had brought into my home and made a part of my family died, the money certainly wouldnt be my first concern.

Since you are adverse to adopting from a shelter, my next best suggestion would be to look for breed specific rescue groups.  Try enquiring with the Maltese Club of Scotland or the Yorkshire Terrier Club of Scotland
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:54:33 PM by mirrajay »

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »
We adopted a rescue dog when we were in the UK (he's my avatar). 

We initially went to the RSPCA but were immediately denied because we worked full time. 

We researched other rescue facilities - there are a lot! - and we found one that was more than willing, in fact rather enthusiastic to rehome one of their dogs with us.  The owner of the shelter knew all of our issues and gave us really good advice (Just for Dogs in Derby).  We adopted an 18 month old dog who was found as a stray and had lived in the shelter for 4 months.  they did not perform a home visit.  Many private rescue shelters are much more flexible than the RSPCA.

I have also previously owned a pure-bred dog and although he was a great dog, I'd never go that route again.  It is now our family policy to only adopt rescues.  We now have our second rescue cat (first died in Oct after being with us for 13 years) and all three rescue adoptions have been great!  I love knowing that I have rescued an animal that had previously been thrown away - that somehow these animals whom I love so much were given a second chance and how lucky are we to have them.     

In our RSPCA, there were loads of little terriers up for adoption.  It takes some research but eventually you'll find the right place from which to adopt. 
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 07:57:39 AM »
Thank you for the information MrsPink and I will look into it.  ;D

I didn't mean for this post to be a debate between adopting or getting one from a breeder. Like I've said before, I have had dogs from a rescue and I have absolutely no problem with getting a dog from there, in fact I almost prefer it as well, but I know what breed of dog I want and how much I have to spend on it. If that makes me a horrible person for that then so be it, it's my money that is going towards it and my house that it will be living in so I think I should be able to pick what dog I want.

I just wanted to know the best place to go to get the kind of dog I want as I am new to the UK and my husband hasn't ever had a dog before so he doesn't know where to go either.
7 Oct 10 Got married!
12 Dec 10 Going home!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab