Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR(M) Cover Letter  (Read 10803 times)

• Liked: 0
FLR(M) Cover Letter
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »
I've gone through the FLR(M) application, which I thought was surprisingly easier and more straight forward than the fiance visa :) It didn't take me long to finish at all. So i've gathered my documents, and basically all my husband and I need to do is write our covering letters. What content should I include in it? Any examples would be much appreciated. Also, any ideas of how long it might take to get back? Thanks! :)

• Sashas Jewels
  • Liked: 1
Re: FLR(M) Cover Letter
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »
I've gone through the FLR(M) application, which I thought was surprisingly easier and more straight forward than the fiance visa :) It didn't take me long to finish at all. So i've gathered my documents, and basically all my husband and I need to do is write our covering letters. What content should I include in it? Any examples would be much appreciated. Also, any ideas of how long it might take to get back? Thanks! :)

We applied in person last week so not sure about your covering letters but just wanted to say I thought the FLR(M) form was wayyyyy easier too  :)

I think the postal applications can take up to 12 weeks, not 100% sure on a time scale right now but am sure I read somewhere on here that it's about 4 weeks at the moment.
Kicking around...looking for answers :)

Fiance's Online application completed Wed 30th June
Biometrics taken Tues 6th July
Application rec'd at Chicago Consulate Thurs 8th July
Thurs 22nd July VISA APPROVED! W00T!
Married 15th December 2010 <3
Spouse Visa Approved 20th Jan 2011 :D

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
Postal FLR(M) applications are taking about 14+ weeks from biometrics being done. I've not heard of anyone doing one recently to have any different time scales. As always with postal applications don't plan on going anywhere out of the country for 6 months (which is the maximum time UKBA can take with processing).

It's the SET(M) -- ILR-- applications that have been taking about 4-6 weeks.

• Sashas Jewels
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »
Postal FLR(M) applications are taking about 14+ weeks from biometrics being done. I've not heard of anyone doing one recently to have any different time scales. As always with postal applications don't plan on going anywhere out of the country for 6 months (which is the maximum time UKBA can take with processing).

It's the SET(M) -- ILR-- applications that have been taking about 4-6 weeks.

Dang, new I'd get it wrong...and this is why I would never post advice on here lol  ;D
Kicking around...looking for answers :)

Fiance's Online application completed Wed 30th June
Biometrics taken Tues 6th July
Application rec'd at Chicago Consulate Thurs 8th July
Thurs 22nd July VISA APPROVED! W00T!
Married 15th December 2010 <3
Spouse Visa Approved 20th Jan 2011 :D

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:27:42 AM »
14 weeks? :S my fiance visa expires on the 2nd of Feb so I'm sending it in early this week. I know, cutting it close aren't I? Another question about biometrics, will I need to get them done again? i got them done for the fiance visa, and I noticed on the application it asked if I've had biometrics done before, and i said yes for the fiance visa, and wrote down the place and date that I had them done. Will I need them taken again?

And I would have definitely opted for the in-person application, if only I had a spare £300! :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:31:04 AM by SaraBeez »

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 07:11:41 AM »
14 weeks? :S my fiance visa expires on the 2nd of Feb so I'm sending it in early this week. I know, cutting it close aren't I? Another question about biometrics, will I need to get them done again? i got them done for the fiance visa, and I noticed on the application it asked if I've had biometrics done before, and i said yes for the fiance visa, and wrote down the place and date that I had them done. Will I need them taken again?

Yes, you will need to get them taken again, even if they were taken for the fiance visa... this is to verify your identity and to make sure you are the same person who applied for the fiance visa.

If you are applying by post, I believe you will receive a letter from the UKBA after you have applied detailing how to get your biometrics taken.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
Oh ok, so I'll need to take my biometrics AFTER i send in my postal application? So i won't take them before and send them in with the application like I did with the fiance visa?

Yes, you will need to get them taken again, even if they were taken for the fiance visa... this is to verify your identity and to make sure you are the same person who applied for the fiance visa.

If you are applying by post, I believe you will receive a letter from the UKBA after you have applied detailing how to get your biometrics taken.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »
Oh ok, so I'll need to take my biometrics AFTER i send in my postal application? So i won't take them before and send them in with the application like I did with the fiance visa?

Applications in the UK are not the same as the ones made outside the UK. So basically forget everything about your previous visa process.

A few weeks after you post off your application you will get a letter from UKBA telling you to go do your biometrics. You have to make an appointment and go to that appointment with the letter from UKBA. Once that is done it's about 14 weeks before your visa will be processed.

This is all covered on the FLR(M) page you can find here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partnersandfamilies/partners/husbandswivescivilpartners/applying-inside-uk/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:16:22 PM by WebyJ »

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice WebyJ! :) I just have one more question, on the application form it asks for my full name which is printed in my passport, so I wrote just that. But under Surname I wrote my husbands surname, because obviously I have his surname now that we're married. For the passport size photos, they asks that I write my name on the back, and my partners name on the back of his. Should I write my maiden name or married name? Will they issue my visa with my married name or will they continue to issue me a visa with my maiden name? Thanks again :)

Applications in the UK are not the same as the ones made outside the UK. So basically forget everything about your previous visa process.

A few weeks after you post off your application you will get a letter from UKBA telling you to go do your biometrics. You have to make an appointment and go to that appointment with the letter from UKBA. Once that is done it's about 14 weeks before your visa will be processed.

This is all covered on the FLR(M) page you can find here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partnersandfamilies/partners/husbandswivescivilpartners/applying-inside-uk/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:32:01 PM by SaraBeez »

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 06:01:28 PM »
Your Last/Surname must match your Last/Surname as it is in your passport and it must be listed as such on your application and your photos.

Your visa will be issued in the name on your passport. Unless you've changed your name in your passport your Surname is not the same as your husbands.

Here is the page that tells you how to change the name on your passport through the US Embassy in London. It will take a minimum of 15 working days to process & issue the new passport: http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/passports/marriage_namechange.html

• i love cookies
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
i am in the same situation and about to send out my application too.

do i have to sign the application with the same name that is on my passport then?

it's quite confusing because when i got married, they told me that my name was now changed, so i assumed that i would sign with my new name, even though i've not changed it on my passport yet.

thanks!
July 13th 2010: Fiancé Visa application sent
Aug 4th 2010: Visa approved
Aug 29th 2010: Moved
Dec 5th 2010: Married
Jan 28th 2011: FLR(M) application sent
Feb 16th 2011: Biometrics completed
Mar 3rd 2011: FLR(M) Visa approved
Feb 26th 2013: SET(M) application sent
Apr 17th 2013: SET(M) Visa approved!

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »
do i have to sign the application with the same name that is on my passport then?

Yes.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »
Yep, application and photo need to be in the name in your passport so if passport is still in maiden name sign that one.
Maroon Passport Club!

• i love cookies
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
thank you!

...last question:

do i tick the box that says Mrs (because i am now) or Miss?

sorry!
July 13th 2010: Fiancé Visa application sent
Aug 4th 2010: Visa approved
Aug 29th 2010: Moved
Dec 5th 2010: Married
Jan 28th 2011: FLR(M) application sent
Feb 16th 2011: Biometrics completed
Mar 3rd 2011: FLR(M) Visa approved
Feb 26th 2013: SET(M) application sent
Apr 17th 2013: SET(M) Visa approved!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab