Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Would you recommend a British newspaper?  (Read 1969 times)

• Liked: 1
Would you recommend a British newspaper?
« on: March 15, 2011, 03:06:53 AM »
Our family newspaper was the Daily Mail and the Sunday Express but they seem to have fallen out of favor. Did the Daily Mail get taken over by the Sun and the Daily Mirror?

What newspaper do you take?

Do you get the newspaper daily at your home?

Re: Would you recommend a British newspaper?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:03:26 AM »
We read the Guardian on weekdays and the Observer on Sundays. We personally find the Mail to be far too trashy, stridently rightwing, anti-Muslim and xenophobic, and the Sunday Express likewise.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:25:48 AM »
I think the reccomendation would depend on the individuals political leanings...
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:53:52 AM »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »
If I buy a newspaper it's either The Guardian, The Independent or The Times.

I just usually check the websites though.

I'm not quite sure how the Daily Mail could have been taken over by both The Sun and the Daily Mirror!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:22:28 AM »
I think the reccomendation would depend on the individuals political leanings...

Yes. I tend to get my news off the internet and pick and choose different sources.

The Daily Mail is way too right wing (I like reading the comments for a laugh), but the Guardian tends to be biased in the other direction.

The Times and the Independent are OK, but I find it best to get different viewpoints which is why I prefer the internet - so I don't have to pay for so many different papers.

sonofasailor, I read New Statesman sometimes, but I consider it a magazine, not a newspaper

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
We usually read The Independent, although I also usually read online. Mr A sometimes picks up the i which is the Indy's commuter paper, although he sometimes just picks up the free ones.

The comments on the Guardian website are about as scary/biased as the Mail ones, although usually (not always) the opposite direction.  But you get that for everything online.  For instance, the Beeb's comment section is pretty much the Mail comment section mark 2.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
We usually read The Independent, although I also usually read online. Mr A sometimes picks up the i which is the Indy's commuter paper, although he sometimes just picks up the free ones.
Well done on seeing a copy of i! I've yet to see it and that includes Heathrow airport and last week in London. The now free London Evening Standard was ok.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
I don't buy a paper all that often (like others I get my news from the internet) but when I do it is either the Independent or the Telegraph.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
I buy the Times because it is a smaller format and I can read it on the bus.  But they put up a paywall, so it isn't free online.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
Well done on seeing a copy of i! I've yet to see it and that includes Heathrow airport and last week in London. The now free London Evening Standard was ok.

I think he gets his at a news agent, and that's why he doesn't bother every day.  We had problems when it first started because we had a lot of free vouchers, but no place sold it. Then when he did find a place, they wouldn't accept the voucher.

The Standard is okay, just a bit right wing and a bit yellow, so I like it when he springs for the 20p for the i.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 12:28:21 AM »
I really like Metro, the free newspaper on the train.  It's a fairly balanced view on what's happening.  And no tabloid trash.  I read it online now.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »
Many of the newspapers in the UK have a political bias. If your preference is leaning to the left, The Mirror or Financial Times may be your paper of choice. If you're leaning right, it would perhaps be The Times or The Sun.

Please don't buy the Daily Mail, it only encourages them. The popular Brit opinion of the mail is similar to the growing popular opinion in the US regarding Fox News. (The word "Muslim" is a byword for "Terrorist" in this newspaper and "immigrant" is a byword for "scum")

My personal preference is BBC News online, they at least try to be as non-biased as they can be and it's pretty reliable.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:55:13 PM by Kila_Bite »

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 08:58:56 AM »
Many of the newspapers in the UK have a political bias. If your preference is leaning to the left, The Mirror or Financial Times may be your paper of choice. If you're leaning right, it would perhaps be The Times or The Sun.

You consider the Financial Times as being "left leaning"? I also find The Times to be fairly central.....for "serious" newspapers I'd Say The Guardian as "left" and the Telegraph as "right"

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »
I agree.  Also, The Sun? 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab