Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: High fiber dog food suggestions?  (Read 4265 times)

• Liked: 0
High fiber dog food suggestions?
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:43:28 PM »
Before moving here 12/09, my dogs were on a holistic healthy dog food since they were little.  When we moved here, I heard that James Welllbeloved was a great and comparable product to what they had been using.

But ever since moving here, one of my dogs has had chronic anal gland obstructions, sometimes leading to absesses and of course medications, (££'s).  My vet here just says it happens sometimes but I'm convinced it is because she didn't have the problem for the first 2 1/2 years of her life because of the US dog food we used.  He said most dogs just sort it out by scooting on the floor (which mine doesn't and thankfully so) or with regular poos.

Just wondering if anyone on here has an knowledge of a better, high fiber (what the vet says can help) dog food, or any other suggestions to help it not be a problem anymore. I know I might have to start expressing them myself but really hoping it doesn't come down to that!

Re: High fiber dog food suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »
Not sure about what is considered high fiber for dogs, but you might find Lily's Kitchen a good place to check out. 
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
Anal gland obstrutions often arise when a dog's stool is soft.  Your vet is suggesting a high fibre diet b/c the fibre will make the stools firmer (and a firm stool with natural express the anal glands).

James Wellbeloved is an excellent brand. If I were you I'd stick with that and try mixing in some pumpkin puree (not the pie filling!) with the kibble.  Pumpkin is full of dietary fiber and perfectly safe for dogs to eat.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »
If I were you I'd stick with that and try mixing in some pumpkin puree (not the pie filling!) with the kibble.  Pumpkin is full of dietary fiber and perfectly safe for dogs to eat.

I find pimpkin difficult to get my hands on in the UK unless it is October. Is there some trick to finding it?

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »
Luckily, I work right by this place and get it from there (they ship too). 

I have also found it in a lot of garden centres (if they have an "international food" section).

Or you can get it on Amazon

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »
can i ask what type of dog food your dogs were on before moving here.......i have switched to lilys kitchen........wonderful food.........all organic.........chicken, herbs, and veggies.......plus they have some bedtime treats and vinison chews......i wont lie its a bit pricey and if i had huge dogs id have to find something else but its perfect for me and my lil ones

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »
can i ask what type of dog food your dogs were on before moving here.......i have switched to lilys kitchen........wonderful food.........all organic.........chicken, herbs, and veggies.......plus they have some bedtime treats and vinison chews......i wont lie its a bit pricey and if i had huge dogs id have to find something else but its perfect for me and my lil ones

I used Life's Abundance dog food back in the states.  I've looked into Lilys Kitchen - think I will give it a try.  Vet today said it's not so much about the food but the anal glands producing too thick a substance instead of thinner and easier to maintain.  Sorry - I know it's gross. 

I'm going to try a few things that have been suggested on here. 

Thanks UK Yankee friends :)

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petfood.htm

if you go down on the page it gives two good alternatives ..... one of which is lilys kitchen........i asked about your food because i did so much research when moving here on dog food.......was hoping i could find a supplier for you

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »
Thanks, Steffunny - looks like Lily's Kitchen is the most comparable product to my US dog food.  Going to be expensive, but my dogs deserve good food and good health.  I may use the kibble they sell and mix in my own additives like brown rice and broccoli like I've done in the past.   My US dog food company is going to look into shipping it here but will probably cost as much as the Lily's Kitchen food.

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »
the bedtime snacks are great.....very calming too

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab