Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Registering with a GP  (Read 22327 times)

• Liked: 3
Registering with a GP
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »
The majority of people entering the UK on a non-tourist visa are eligible to register with a GP immediately upon arrival. The two major exceptions to this are students coming to the UK for a course that is less than 6 months and, I believe, people entering on a Tier 1 (General) visa as they are typically not employed when they arrive and are given a 6 month waiting period.

Unfortunately, there's a good chance the receptionist at your GP doesn't know the ins and outs of who is eligible for NHS care, so knowledge is power when you go to register for the first time.

It's a good idea when you go to register for the first time to printout the appropriate webpage from the Department of Health to show to the receptionist:

If you have spouse visa: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074376

If you have a fiance visa: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074377

If you have a student visa (more than 6 months): http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074400

If you have sponsored employment visa (Tier 2): http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074381

You may find that you still have problems registering. In this instance you may need to contact your local NHS Patient Advice and Liaison Service aka PALS (http://www.pals.nhs.uk/officemapsearch.aspx) to help get you registered.

Remember, you do not need a NIN prior to registering with your GP. Also, once you register you may or may not get an NHS card. Even if you never receive a card, you can still use the NHS.

• Liked: 0
Re: Registering with a GP
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
Great job! There are so many people (including myself when I first came to the UK) that are unsure about their right to access healthcare.
www.move-to-england.com [nofollow]
Your complete guide to moving to England and the UK

• My other Man
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 02:00:54 AM »
what if u are in an EEA Family Permit?

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 02:37:50 AM »
Thank you.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »
Great job! There are so many people (including myself when I first came to the UK) that are unsure about their right to access healthcare.

Everyone living here legally has the right to access to healthcare. The question is whether you are entitled to obtain it "free" at the point of delivery or whether you wil have to pay for it up front. All EU citizens and those of New Zealand are automatically covered as Britons can use their health services when overseas. Everyone, therefore, has the right to register with a GP but some will have to pay for the doctor's services. The good news is that most British health insurance companies are mutuals and their premiums are generally affordable. In addition, there are schemes such as Simply Health (formerly the HSA) that can provide top-up income when you go into hospital. Most trade unions and professional associations also offer such schemes and most can provide convalescent facilities at very low cost, which nobody in the UK is entitled to on the NHS anyway. Another scheme that is worth knowing about is the Manor House hospital in London, which is owned by several trade unions and offers surgical treatment at low cost to its members.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:53:32 AM »
can we register our US born UK citizen 15 yr old (almost 16) Child when we visit in Dec. if we get his UK passport before we go? we will be staying with my husband's parents in Dec and when we first move back to the UK next year until we can find a house to buy. Our son wants to go over ahead of us and start school and I hate for him to have to deal with it himself.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
The majority of people entering the UK on a non-tourist visa are eligible to register with a GP immediately upon arrival. The two major exceptions to this are students coming to the UK for a course that is less than 6 months and, I believe, people entering on a Tier 1 (General) visa as they are typically not employed when they arrive and are given a 6 month waiting period.

Unfortunately, there's a good chance the receptionist at your GP doesn't know the ins and outs of who is eligible for NHS care, so knowledge is power when you go to register for the first time.

It's a good idea when you go to register for the first time to printout the appropriate webpage from the Department of Health to show to the receptionist:

If you have spouse visa: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074376

If you have a fiance visa: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074377

If you have a student visa (more than 6 months): http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074400

If you have sponsored employment visa (Tier 2): http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074381

You may find that you still have problems registering. In this instance you may need to contact your local NHS Patient Advice and Liaison Service aka PALS (http://www.pals.nhs.uk/officemapsearch.aspx) to help get you registered.

Remember, you do not need a NIN prior to registering with your GP. Also, once you register you may or may not get an NHS card. Even if you never receive a card, you can still use the NHS.

Awesome resources. Very very helpful! Thanks x

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »
I am in the UK on a "marriage visa" and have till 6 months to get marriage. I was told NHS won't accept this Visa. Anyone know what makes this different than a fiancé visa etc that is entitled to a get NHS right away?Thanks
Terri

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »
A marriage visit visa is meant for people who plan to marry in the UK and then return to their home country. You should have private insurance to cover medical needs during your stay. You are not a resident of the UK with this visa and thus are not entitled to use the NHS.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
Anyone know what makes this different than a fiancé visa etc that is entitled to a get NHS right away?

There will be no more of 'entitled to get NHS right away' from April anyway as the UK has now stopped that.

Those with UK visas of more than 6 months will be able to buy a cheap NHS levy to be able to use most NHS facilities for free. All the others will need to buy their own insurance to cover all their medical needs while in the UK and will be billed at 150% of the NHS cost for treatment and I assume, full cost of any medication.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:17:16 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 06:12:45 PM »
A marriage visit visa is meant for people who plan to marry in the UK and then return to their home country. You should have private insurance to cover medical needs during your stay. You are not a resident of the UK with this visa and thus are not entitled to use the NHS.

Visitors don't need any insurance but ought to have travel insurance. But hey, my daughter-in-law visited for marriage some years ago, stayed long enough to marry, and then went back to California with my son.

A destination marriage! What's so wrong with that?

Or did I miss something?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »
Visitors don't need any insurance but ought to have travel insurance. But hey, my daughter-in-law visited for marriage some years ago, stayed long enough to marry, and then went back to California with my son.

A destination marriage! What's so wrong with that?

Or did I miss something?

I'm unclear why you quoted my post in your reply. Travel insurance is private insurance.

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 06:14:47 AM »
When I click the link for Spouse Visa the page no longer exists. I'm trying to figure out how to sign my daughter (1) and I up for a GP when we arrive. My husband will be employed in the UK for a year and will have a visa sponsored by his work.
Mom to 1 - Moving to Borehamwood, Herts - Traveling Film Industry Family

• Liked: 387
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 09:03:04 AM »
When I click the link for Spouse Visa the page no longer exists. I'm trying to figure out how to sign my daughter (1) and I up for a GP when we arrive. My husband will be employed in the UK for a year and will have a visa sponsored by his work.

Welcome to the forums.  :)

If your husband will be having a sponsored work visa, you'll be Tier 2 dependents.  A spouse visa is for someone moving to the UK as the spouse of a UK citizen.

When you arrive in the UK, you'll need to find a GP that covers the area you live in, and is currently accepting new patients.  Contact the practice and ask for registration paperwork.  Complete it, and return it to the practice - you'll probably be asked to also provide evidence you can use the NHS (your visa) and evidence of your UK residence (utility bill, lease agreement, etc).  You'll receive an NHS number (will probably take a few weeks to arrive by post) and you will be prompted to schedule a new patient appointment to review your medical history.  The process might vary slightly between different GP practices, but it should be relatively similar.  It's best to contact the practice directly that you wish to register with, and ask about exact requirements/procedures for new patient registration.

http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/GP/LocationSearch/4

• Liked: 20
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »
The GP practice I got assigned to just told me over the phone that even though I have a BRP, they'll only let me register if I can prove I'll be in the country for the next year, with a lease or a letter from council tax. My lease is only 6 months long, and I haven't heard anything from the council since I registered.

I'm concerned I'm going to have difficulty getting registered at my appointment next week. From what I've seen online, I shouldn't have to show proof of residence for a year- only that I have a BRP, proof of address, and will be here on a permanent basis (over 3 months). Is that correct? I've been trying to call PALS but haven't had any luck getting through.

Sponsored Links