Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London Area Book Club - 16 April 2011...and beyond!  (Read 2205 times)

• Liked: 0
London Area Book Club - 16 April 2011...and beyond!
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
The next meeting of the London Area Book Club will be 16 April at 3pm at the Cafe Rouge a Victoria Station.  We will be reading Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada.
Berlin, 1940, and the city is filled with fear. At the house on 55 Jablonski Strasse, its various occupants try to live under Nazi rule in their different ways: the bullying Hitler loyalists the Persickes, the retired judge Fromm and the unassuming couple Otto and Anna Quangel. Then the Quangels receive the news that their beloved son has been killed fighting in France. Shocked out of their quiet existence, they begin a silent campaign of defiance, and a deadly game of cat and mouse develops between the Quangels and the ambitious Gestapo inspector Escherich. When petty criminals Kluge and Borkhausen also become involved, deception, betrayal and murder ensue, tightening the noose around the Quangels’ necks …

It is available on Kindle as well. 

For those of you planning ahead, the book club will be meeting on the 3rd Saturday of each month. 

The May meeting will be 21 May. The meeting time and place will be announced shortly.   The book will be "After the Quake", a collection of short stories by Japanese writer Haruki Murakami, set one month after the 1995 Kobe earthquake. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_the_quake

Hopefully, the advance notice will make it easier for people to fit the group into their schedule, and (very importantly!) to source the books, especially if you use the library.

Hope to see you at a meeting!

“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

Re: London Area Book Club - 16 April 2011...and beyond!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:30:37 PM »
Details of the 21st May book club meeting here:

http://www.meetup.com/AmericanSocial/events/17041818/

If you are not a member of Meetup but plan to attend the book club meeting, that's not a problem at all, just RVSP to me here or by private message.  Despite what it may say elsewhere on Meetup, there is NO FEE to join the book club or to attend.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab