Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Prince William Won't be Wearing a Wedding Band  (Read 1802 times)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Re: Prince William Won't be Wearing a Wedding Band
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »
:D I know, I thought the same thing! Like, he doesn't want them to see it, because he doesn't want to talk to them much about our lives. That's how much he abhors them. And he doesn't want the ring to even enter the building, because it would almost be like taking me to that place, and he doesn't want to do that. I know, it's complicated, wierd and sweet all at the same time. He keeps the ring in its box, on our dressing table.
I understand.  A bit esoteric, a bit "Lord of the Rings", but I like that!

neither one of us wear a wedding ring..we exchanged egyptian cartouche necklaces at our wedding......suits us both so much better
Love it!  We did something very similar!  Our friend made us silver Ogham pendants.  They are identical.  My name is on one side and hubby's is on the other, written in the old Ogham alphabet.  We met in Ireland and both have a great love of Irish music (does anyone on UK-Y *not* know this?!  :D) so they suit us perfectly well.

At first we thought we'd eventually get rings, but now I don't think we need to.  Hubby wears his pendant most days unless he's going to the gym or going to be particularly active at work, just for safety's sake.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 04:30:22 PM »
I understand.  A bit esoteric, a bit "Lord of the Rings", but I like that!
Love it!  We did something very similar!  Our friend made us silver Ogham pendants.  They are identical.  My name is on one side and hubby's is on the other, written in the old Ogham alphabet.  We met in Ireland and both have a great love of Irish music (does anyone on UK-Y *not* know this?!  :D) so they suit us perfectly well.

At first we thought we'd eventually get rings, but now I don't think we need to.  Hubby wears his pendant most days unless he's going to the gym or going to be particularly active at work, just for safety's sake.

Yeah, it is quite LoR-ish. :D It's one of our mutal faves! :)
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
Yeah, it is quite LoR-ish. :D It's one of our mutal faves! :)
My precioussss.....  ;)
Married October 2007

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 04:40:42 PM »
My precioussss.....  ;)

*gasp!* Gollum! How that character manages to freak me out even though I'm not looking at it I'll never know! :D

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 04:43:12 PM »
*gasp!* Gollum! How that character manages to freak me out even though I'm not looking at it I'll never know! :D
Ah.  Because those characters, including Gollum are timeless, archetypal, and they hit a real chord deep within our unconscious minds.  They do for me anyway.
Married October 2007

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 06:40:18 PM »
Ah.  Because those characters, including Gollum are timeless, archetypal, and they hit a real chord deep within our unconscious minds.  They do for me anyway.

I agree! Oops; think we should stop hijacking the thread, though!  ;D

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
I understand.  A bit esoteric, a bit "Lord of the Rings", but I like that!
Love it!  We did something very similar!  Our friend made us silver Ogham pendants.  They are identical.  My name is on one side and hubby's is on the other, written in the old Ogham alphabet.  We met in Ireland and both have a great love of Irish music (does anyone on UK-Y *not* know this?!  :D) so they suit us perfectly well.

At first we thought we'd eventually get rings, but now I don't think we need to.  Hubby wears his pendant most days unless he's going to the gym or going to be particularly active at work, just for safety's sake.

yep ours are identical on one side and our names on the other side.......i love yalls idea too.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »

We are trying to find him a new one though, he seems to be having an allergic reaction to his ring. It's Tungsten and he's getting a rash under it. I thought Tungsten was hypoallergenic but I guess not. Anyone know of a better metal we could try?

It's either that or he's just allergic to marriage.  ::) In which case he will just have to suck it up!!!  ;D  

It may not be the metal. It could just be that dirt and allergens are getting trapped under the ring which is causing the rash. Even soap from washing your hands can do this. He should try letting his finger breathe a bit (i.e. not wear the ring at night) or make sure he cleans and dries his finger and the ring well if it gets wet or sweaty. A little hydrocortisone cream now and then can help the rash, too.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
It's funny how people are so different in their preferences.  My DH wears his wedding ring religiously, but there's no way in heck I'd ever get him to wear a necklace!  I love the idea though.  Basically, for me, it's about the symbolism, so rings, necklaces, tattoos, whatever, as long as you both agree and have something that is meaningful for you. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 2
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 08:31:10 PM »
It may not be the metal. It could just be that dirt and allergens are getting trapped under the ring which is causing the rash. Even soap from washing your hands can do this. He should try letting his finger breathe a bit (i.e. not wear the ring at night) or make sure he cleans and dries his finger and the ring well if it gets wet or sweaty. A little hydrocortisone cream now and then can help the rash, too.

That's what I told him, he does take it off at night. Since he works for a care center for Autistic people he does wash his hands quite often. I just feel bad for him since he really likes his ring. I looked around online and I learned that titanium is completely hypoallergenic, so I'm going to attempt to find a ring in that metal and see if it helps.
We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "What? We don't need a flag, this is our home, you bastards" "No flag, No Country, You can't have one! Those are the rules... that I just made up!...and I'm backing it up with this gun, that was lent to me from the National Rifle Association."

• Liked: 387
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »
Basically, for me, it's about the symbolism, so rings, necklaces, tattoos, whatever, as long as you both agree and have something that is meaningful for you. 

My thoughts exactly.   :)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
It's really important to me that he wears one, I don't have a logical reason, I just can't understand why he wouldn't want to.  I'm happy that he will!

I'm with you.  It's a symbolic token of our marriage and I'd take it the wrong way if he wouldn't want to wear it. Jon only takes his off when he has really bad eczema on his hands. I can't object to that.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »
BF and I are about to have this discussion. He popped it on me last Sunday over skype by bringing up the Prince William article and then indicating he didn't want to wear one. I can't explain why it bothers me that he won't (because I can already see he will win this one) but it does make me sad.
June 1989: 1st time we met.
June 2009: Reconnected... yes on FaceBook.
Jan 2010: he invited me to the UK by saying "get your ars* on a plane!"
May 2010: I arrive in UK for visit.
April 2011: ask him to marry me.
May 18 2

Sponsored Links