Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Nook Question...  (Read 2273 times)

• Liked: 3
Nook Question...
« on: May 09, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »
My mom has a brand new Nook Color and is now getting an iPad, she wants to give me her Nook, but I don't know enough about them to know whether or not I can use it in the UK.

Can I use it at all in the UK?? My sister seems to think she can give me her library details etc and I can use it etc....but I'm not sure.

Is it useless to me in Manchester??? TIA!!

• British by descent
Re: Nook Question...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 04:13:07 PM »
I haven't looked into it recently, but last time I checked, I believe the Nooks need a US IP address in order to connect to anything online. I think you can hack them (with a VPN) to get a US IP, but it sounded like a pain.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
My parents got me a Nook for my birthday last year. In summary, you have two options.

1) buy e-books from places online like WHSmith and then transfer the file to your Nook via USB. This is what I do.

2) It is possible to connect to the Barnes & Noble site on your computer via a proxy (to get a US IP address) and buy a book with a card that has a US address. You wouldn't be able to buy directly from the device, but once a purchase has been authorised you can download from anywhere in the world.

It's all a bit of a pain, to be honest (as much as I love my Nook!) If you're looking for a seamless book-buying experience, buy a Kindle.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:33:28 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »
Thanks for your input! I have no great desire to buy an ereader, but this was one going to be given to me. I have a netbook, so the USB thing is no problem. The thing that I love about the Nook is that you can borrow books from your US libraries.

What a conundrum!!

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:28:56 AM »
2) It is possible to connect to the Barnes & Noble site on your computer via a proxy (to get a US IP address) and buy a book with a card that has a US address. You wouldn't be able to buy directly from the device, but once a purchase has been authorised you can download from anywhere in the world.

My understanding is that the opposite is true - that you can buy an ebook (using a US credit card) from anywhere in the world on the B&N site, but you will only be able to dl them onto a device that is in the US, which is to say using a US IP address.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
My understanding is that the opposite is true - that you can buy an ebook (using a US credit card) from anywhere in the world on the B&N site, but you will only be able to dl them onto a device that is in the US, which is to say using a US IP address.

Nope. You have to have a US IP address to buy books from B&N (so either physically in the US or using a proxy, if you try to buy with a US card from a non-US IP address, it will initially look like it's gone through but then you get an email saying they've cancelled the order), but you can be anywhere in the world to download- I have tested this myself with my Nook.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:45:16 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Sponsored Links