Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to apply for your British passport after naturalising  (Read 25681 times)

Revised guide
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:23 PM »
Although relatively simple on the surface, the instructions for applying for your first passport can be vague.  That in itself can be a bit annoying, but because even the most minor mistake can mean redoing your application (including bothering your referee again) AND the internets seem to be rife with people giving bad advice on it, I decided to make this simple, UK-Y guide.  It can be used for people who are applying for their first passport as Brits by decent, but the requirements and the actual form filling will be slightly different.

What you need:
  • Passport appropriate photos (2 identical)*
  • Any current passports from other countries
  • Any expired passports from other countries which haven't been replaced by a current one. However, you must include the passport you used to enter the country even if it is not your current one.
  • Naturalisation certificate (the official one and not the ceremonial one that some councils give out.)
  • Marriage certificate or deed poll documenting your name change if your name has changed from your other passport
  • One professional referee (UK passport holder, professional or of standing in the community--can be retired, known you for at least 2 years)
  • Money for the fee
  • A black pen

The form:

General advice:
  • Use black ink
  • WRITE IN CAPITAL, BLOCK LETTERS (unless instructed otherwise)
  • If you make a mistake, totally black out the mistake
  • If your referee makes a mistake, have him or her black out and initial the mistakes
  • Make sure that any signatures are within the borders of the signature box and do not touch the edge.
  • Also make sure that the BLOCK CAPITALS in the other sections fall within the white boxes.  If you do not do this, the information might not get scanned correctly and it may delay your application.
  • If you are a naturalised citizen, you DO NOT need to fill out any information on your parents or grandparents (section 8 ).  This is for people who have citizenship by descent.  Do not sweat this section.(You need to fill this out regardless, confirmed by interviewer)
  • There are several sections that need to be dated.  Don't miss them.  If you're using check and send, it will probably be picked up, but postal applications might be delayed if you miss these.
  • Be sure to consider checking the box for secure document return. (I think this is only an option with check and send)
  • Make sure your referee writes the required blurb** on the back of one of the photos and uses your FULL name including TITLE.

I think the form itself is self explanatory otherwise.

Using Check and Send:
Many post office branches offer this service.  If you go to the Post Office website, you can find a branch near you where you can basically have someone look over your form, photos, and documents and send them off securely.  They cannot guarantee that your application does not have errors or your photos meet the requirements.

*Photo Requirements:

Most modern photo booths will take photos with the required background, of the proper size, and even give instructions on how to centre your face in the frame.  Photo shops will also usually know all the current regulations.  Some general advice:

• Remove your glasses, if possible
  • Pull your hair back from your face
  • Keep your face neutral (no smiling, frowning, raised brow, etc.)

The website actually goes into pretty specific advice on that, so it shouldn't be a problem for most people.

**The referee blurb on the back of one of your two photos

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:53:02 PM by Legs Akimbo »

• Liked: 6
Re: How to apply for your British passport after naturalising
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
Legs, thanks very much for the passport identity interview run down.  We have ours tomorrow at Victoria, as well.  I couldn't imagine what kinds of questions they would ask and your description is very helpful.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 01:53:33 PM »
Good luck.  I think they just break it down into categories: questions about your application, questions about info gained from the credit check (although they don't know things like transaction history, bank balances, but may include questions about anyone living with you, your accounts and history of those accounts), questions about your referee, and verifying that you're the person in the photo.

They now do interviews for everyone applying for a first time passport if you didn't have a British one as a child, so people should be prepared to be asked to do one when they apply.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 11:07:49 AM »
Just a little bump for this thread :) my wife is about to apply for her passport (ceremony on the 13th so we'll apply on the 14th).

Shame there's no fast-track service but that's understandable (though you'd think we'd have gone through enough identity checks by this stage!), my wife is obviously a little uneasy about handing her US passport(s) over for the application, does she get those back before knowing anything else about the application or does that all happen at once? Does it come back in the post or at the interview?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »
"Naturalisation certificate (the official one and not the ceremonial one that some councils give out.)"

How would you know what is an official and what is a ceremonial?

I received only one certificate. This should  be the one.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 09:34:02 AM »
Pedantic amendment:   The counter-signatory can alternatively have an Irish passport.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »
"Naturalisation certificate (the official one and not the ceremonial one that some councils give out.)"

How would you know what is an official and what is a ceremonial?

I received only one certificate. This should  be the one.

I did say only some councils give a souvenir one away.  Sort of like the birth certificates hospitals give to parents in the States (the ones with the footprints).  You can't use those to get a passport and you can't use the ceremonial citizenship certificates. If you received two (even if one came at a later date) certificates or the one you received was really fancy and in a frame, use the one that isn't in a frame and looks sort of boring or contact the council where you had your ceremony to let them know you never received your official certificate.

ETA: I would say that there was a raised seal or watermarks on the official one, but I have no clue if this is universal and I don't want to confuse people with any decorative seal on a ceremonial one.  My commemorative one looks like anyone could print it on a computer (although it is "pretty") and was given to me framed.  My official one just looks like a government document.  If someone has any doubts they can either post here or use the checking service.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:18:43 PM by Omphaloskepsis »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »
Has anyone applied online for a passport? How does that work with your referee and for sending in documents? Any difference in time to hear back if you do your application online?

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 01:25:07 AM »
Looks like you fill it out, IPS prints it out and sends it to you, you sign it (and probably have your referee sign), and send it back with your documents and pictures.  They also claim it's for people who need their passports within 4 weeks.

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »
Thanks for all your help!

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
I've just become a UK citizen, and am wondering what the rules are regarding travelling into the UK without a UK passport. I'm going to be leaving the country next week for about a month, then will be returning for a few weeks before leaving again. I can't apply for a UK passport before I leave, and I can't give up my US passport while I'm abroad for that month to apply for a UK passport, as I have a sick family member in the US and I may have to travel back to the US with little notice.

I found something online that mentions an endorsement required in my US passport to travel without a UK passport, but there was little information and I can't find a definite answer.

Can anyone clarify the rules regarding travelling into the UK without a UK passport if you're a UK citizen? Will my naturalisation certificate be sufficient?

• Liked: 31
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 02:51:11 PM »
There is no law stating that a UK citizen must enter on a UK passport like there is for the US. You can enter on your ILR in your US passport.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »
There is no law stating that a UK citizen must enter on a UK passport like there is for the US. You can enter on your ILR in your US passport.

Thanks! :)

• Liked: 31
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
Can I just ask, on the Directgov website it says you only need to send the naturalisation certificate and the passport with which you entered the UK, but the checklist here says all current passports as well. Are current passports definitely needed, and where does it say that in the instructions? Thanks!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Mouse Hunting
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
Can I just ask, on the Directgov website it says you only need to send the naturalisation certificate and the passport with which you entered the UK, but the checklist here says all current passports as well. Are current passports definitely needed, and where does it say that in the instructions? Thanks!

It's in the pamphlet supplied with your application. I received one when I requested a form be mailed to me, but I assume you can collect from the post office as well.

The PDF:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_184487.pdf

"Section 3 Have you had or been included on any sort of passport before?
In this section you must give details of your current passport (if you have one), andany previous, lost or stolen passports. This includes passports you are included on orwere included on (for example, as a child) and passports issued by other countries.With your application you must send us any passport which is current or which is no longer valid but has not been replaced. If you don’t, this will delay your application."
Dated long distance: 2000-2005
Married: May 2005
Both lived stateside: 2005-2008
Moved to the UK/FLR: May 2008
ILR: May 2010
British Citizenship: January 2012
British Passport: March 2012

Sponsored Links