Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Ultimate Gift Question  (Read 960 times)

• Liked: 0
The Ultimate Gift Question
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »
FH and myself are getting hitched on July 12th. We are having a small recpetion with apps and cake and drinks. Last night I offically finished hand writing our wedding invites and was talking about it with friends, when they asked....

"are you registered anywhere?"

we didn't intend to, as we were going to elope, but our day got a bit bigger. And now that we are having a formal reception for about 40-50 people, it seems like we should have.

The thing is, we are sharing a flat with a friend and would have zero room to put the things we need at the moment. However, you only get married once. I don't want to be greedy and just say "cash", because frankly, after all the visa fee's and wedding bills... building our savings back up would be grand.

how do i tackle ths question? Whats a polite way to say cash?

Re: The Ultimate Gift Question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »
FH and myself are getting hitched on July 12th. We are having a small recpetion with apps and cake and drinks. Last night I offically finished hand writing our wedding invites and was talking about it with friends, when they asked....

"are you registered anywhere?"

we didn't intend to, as we were going to elope, but our day got a bit bigger. And now that we are having a formal reception for about 40-50 people, it seems like we should have.

The thing is, we are sharing a flat with a friend and would have zero room to put the things we need at the moment. However, you only get married once. I don't want to be greedy and just say "cash", because frankly, after all the visa fee's and wedding bills... building our savings back up would be grand.

how do i tackle ths question? Whats a polite way to say cash?

We've used a honeyfund so that people can feel like they're "buying" you something when really they're just giving you cash :) You break it down into whatever bits and pieces you want, they don't have to be honeymoon related, so it could look like a normal registry but you can buy the items when you move to your own place for instance.

http://www.honeyfund.com/SampleRegistries

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
Ditto on Honeyfund.

Unlike the other DIY registry sites, they don't charge you a single pence in fees, and the money goes straight into your Paypal account. We used it for our wedding in September and no one had a problem with it, either on the US or UK sides.
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »
Ditto on Honeyfund.

Unlike the other DIY registry sites, they don't charge you a single pence in fees, and the money goes straight into your Paypal account. We used it for our wedding in September and no one had a problem with it, either on the US or UK sides.

I think you'e the one who recommended it to me! :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
Of the last two weddings I went to, one couple asked for Kuoni gift vouchers for their honeymoon, and one for John Lewis vouchers so they can buy furniture once they buy a house.  They both had a small registry too with just a few items (I guess in case people didn't like buying gift vouchers).

Sponsored Links