Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Asian culture in the UK  (Read 1386 times)

• Liked: 1
Asian culture in the UK
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:34:46 AM »
I just saw this news clip of the taxi drivers protesting to the police in Peterborough and I would like to hear your reaction because there seems to be a cultural issue that clashes with the British culture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-13782878
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:24:15 PM by Cheers »

• Liked: 533
Re: Arab culture in the UK
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:52:06 AM »
That was a bit of a muddled report. A nice bullet point thingy listing their concerns would have helped.

It is interesting that a group often accused of not assimilating with British culture is pointing out negative aspects of it (drinks/violence/general yobbishness). I have always felt it odd that immigrants - especially those with brown skin - are the brunt of so much concern, when it seems to me, at least anecdotally, that the vast majority of crime is committed by natives. 
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »
They aren't "Arabs" anyhow. And how does the OP define "British" culture?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
The people in this story aren't "arabs", they appear to mostly be pakistani.

Not that that matters, what they appear to be most of all is a resident's association who think they've been let down by their council.

• Liked: 3
Re: Asian culture in the UK
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »
Could you explain to me where the culture clash is? I didn't see any in that report, there were legitimate concerns over the attack on a taxi driver and the reaction of the police to it, and concerns about the number of licenced primises being allowed in residential areas which many people have concerns about.
It just so happened that the majority of peoplhe in the meeting were of Asian (not Arab) origin, but thats probably more to do wit the area having a high Asian population.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 10:46:05 PM »
Could you explain to me where the culture clash is?

He doesn't seem to 'do' answers.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 07:51:14 AM »
Could you explain to me where the culture clash is? I didn't see any in that report, there were legitimate concerns over the attack on a taxi driver and the reaction of the police to it, and concerns about the number of licenced primises being allowed in residential areas which many people have concerns about.
It just so happened that the majority of peoplhe in the meeting were of Asian (not Arab) origin, but thats probably more to do wit the area having a high Asian population.

I agree that these  were legitimate concerns. Someone did say, however, that they thought the police were ignoring their concerns due to racism.

This seems like the kind of discussion that would happen in any urban area with crime and a multi-ethnic population - so pretty much any large city anywhere. I could see the same things happening in Brooklyn, where I am from, and involving people of any ethnicity.  I don't see anything particularly British about it or particularly Asian (or Pakistani or whatever) about it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:53:16 AM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:39:11 PM »
I don't wish to take sides as I haven't watched that clip.

Not long ago, I read on BBC or big British newpaper site that in northern England Pakistani men (and I use the word men lightly) were taking young white girls off the street (not prostitutes) and using and/or selling for gang rape. The police knew who they were but were afraid to look anti-Pakistani. The Pakistani community leader of that area said it isn't about worrying about race/culture but that the issue is going after criminals who committed this terrible crime. It is sad that there was even a second of hesitancy over rounding up the criminals.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
Not long ago, I read on BBC or big British newpaper site that in northern England Pakistani men (and I use the word men lightly) were taking young white girls off the street (not prostitutes) and using and/or selling for gang rape. The police knew who they were but were afraid to look anti-Pakistani.

That sounds like the sort of thing the Daily Mail would write.  If that's where you read it, you should get a different newspaper.  (Ask yourself if it makes sense that there's a kidnap/prostitution ring anywhere in the UK that the police know about but aren't doing anything about because they're afraid of being accused of discrimination.)

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 10:47:37 PM »
That sounds like the sort of thing the Daily Mail would write.  If that's where you read it, you should get a different newspaper.  (Ask yourself if it makes sense that there's a kidnap/prostitution ring anywhere in the UK that the police know about but aren't doing anything about because they're afraid of being accused of discrimination.)

All I know is I saw the community leader saying the above.

I read all kinds of stuff.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 10:47:54 PM »
That sounds like the sort of thing the Daily Mail would write.

Indeed. Some Guardian stuff:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jun/29/child-exploitation-survey-26-asian

The first attempt at a nationwide assessment of patterns of child sexual exploitation reveals that 26% of those who engage in grooming of children in the street are young Asian men.

But Peter Davies, the director of the Child Exploitation and Online Protection centre (Ceop), which carried out the research, warned against jumping to conclusions on the ethnicity of offenders because the data gathered by his investigators was incomplete, not nationwide and of poor quality.

"I would send a note of caution about trying to extrapolate anything from this. Looking at this issue through the lens of ethnicity does not do the victims any favours," he said.

See also stories like this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/08/jack-straw-white-girls-easy-meat

The former home secretary Jack Straw has been accused of stereotyping Pakistani men in Britain after he accused some of them as regarding white girls as "easy meat" for sexual abuse.

and especially this one

article by Hugh Muir

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jan/12/police-reaction-asian-grooming

No reason for police to hold back on grooming investigations

The implication that police are hampered by a fear of being called racist if they highlight a crime trend is flawed

Here we go. Another year, another sighting of the hardy perennial. The police are being blamed for not having done enough to fully address the issue of young girls being groomed for sexual exploitation by Asian men. Mick Gradwell, a retired east Lancashire detective superintendent, tells the Daily Mail: "The main pressure police have is being called institutionally racist if they highlight a crime trend like this. There's a fantastic reluctance to be absolutely straight because some people may take such offence." Can this be true? If so, it would seem a serious dereliction of duty.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:50:35 PM by TrĂ©mula »

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 07:49:11 AM »
From the Guardian article:

The data was so poor that reliable details of ethnicity were available only in 940 of the 2,379 cases

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »
All I know is I saw the community leader saying the above.

Saying what?  Without a link or quotes it's hard to tell what part is information you're sharing and what part is your opinion.

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
Saying what?  Without a link or quotes it's hard to tell what part is information you're sharing and what part is your opinion.

I'm wasting my time I know but I said nothing wrong and I do not need to defend myself or my opinion or have exact quotes unless I am in a court of law.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
I'm wasting my time I know but I said nothing wrong and I do not need to defend myself or my opinion or have exact quotes unless I am in a court of law.

I suppose it depends on your goal.  If you want to have a discussion about the news, and you're going to make an inflammatory claim about roving gangs of Asian men running around kidnapping Caucasian girls and selling them into sexual slavery, and then add in a claim that the police aren't doing anything about it because they're afraid of racism claims, you ought to cite a source.

Or maybe you're just trying to stir up static on the internet, in which case you can make up whatever ridiculous claim you want and then act indignant about it when someone asks where your information comes from.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab