Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Doctors anger at news crew  (Read 1622 times)

Re: Doctors anger at news crew
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 08:17:06 PM »
I don't think people's reaction was about your politics, but how you broached the subject assuming that it was something to do with the system here (and it would be inappropriate for a doctor/surgeon to react that way that way in the US), and how you painted the doctor.  At least mine was.

This Cheers character seems to enjoy posting what I imagine he/she sees as "liberal baiting" posts... see his one about "Arabs" in Peterborough.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »
OK I learned that infection control is in place in both countries but I still have an issue with a pompass ass making a scene in front of the Prime Minister. I would of liked to have knocked his block off!

If he's my doctor and he's kicking people out of the ward because he's worried about me getting an infection, that's cool with me.  So don't you go punching him.  :)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 10:31:38 PM »
OK I learned that infection control is in place in both countries but I still have an issue with a pompass ass making a scene in front of the Prime Minister. I would of liked to have knocked his block off!

I think there are people who don't like Mr David Cameron and that's the basis for some of the comments.

Politics can bring out the worst in some people.
It's nothing to do with my feelings toward the PM, just because he's PM does not mean that either him or his entourage have the right to not follow regulations that others have to follow.
We don't hold quite the same reverance to our PM here that the US hold for their President. That's why we don't insist on them having their own private plane, or taking their own cars with them either.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:50 AM »
Well, I don't think Cheers posts things out of malice, even the bit in the other thread.  He's of an older generation that most if not all of us, and for the most part, when someone points him in a positive direction for things like terminology, he usually follows.

And I think he's been out of the country too long to judge what the NHS is like on almost any level.  If he ever returns home, he will see that the NHS not as horrible as some of the press makes it out to be.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 01:46:05 AM »
Agreed!  Half the problem with the U.S. medical system is that hospitals aren't run by doctors, but by business people.
I agree.  I would want all the staff on a surgical ward to be highly concerned about infection control.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:50:38 AM by mariposa »

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
Cameron did not come off badly in this at all.   I don't see how it turned into a Dr. vs. Cameron thing. Cameron acceded to the doctor's demands. There was no conflict at all.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 03:49:34 AM »

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2011, 07:11:58 AM »
Apparently the said consultant has been asked to go and nurse some plants.

This is a disgrace. The best knee and hip man in London. Who was in the right.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
Apparently the said consultant has been asked to go and nurse some plants.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/gardening-leave-for-surgeon-who-railed-at-clegg-and-cameron-2301353.html

This is ridiculous.  An immensely talented doctor is taken away from patients because he stood up for patients.  What utter nonsense.

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
We could always write letters/do a public petition.  It looks like the particulars are a bit hazy.

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
Well, my view is that the doctor (the senior orthopaedic surgeon in charge of the department being filmed, not a "spoilt child") was absolutely correct, and was doing his job as I would hope and expect. Somebody screwed up and he did his job protecting his patients.  He was not being "pompous" (spelling). Hospital hygiene rules exist for a very very important reason. If that senior doctor would be "out of a job" in the USA for daring to intervene because a crew filming a senior politician's visit flagrantly broke an important health-related hospital rule, (A firing which I don't believe would happen) then that's just one more reason to prefer being sick in the UK. I must say David Cameron was pretty nimble in responding appropriately. The public is already fed up with the NHS being used by politicians for headline fodder and seeing a politician grandstanding at patients bedsides while allowing a film crew to sport rolled down sleeves and presumably (or even possibly) unwashed arms, hands and equipment would have sent entirely the wrong message. My guess is that some shouting has been going on since.

I agree!

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
I work in the NHS.  Infection control is serious, serious business, expecially in a post-surgery ward.  If I were a doctor and a news crew came barging into my ward not following the protocol that every single other person has to follow, I'd be furious as well.

It's not pomposity, it's not acting like a spoilt child.  It's his job to keep these patients safe and well.  Bravo to him for doing it.

I agree!

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2011, 09:19:30 PM »
I absolutely agree with the other posts in this topic.  The surgeon was just following the hygiene standards in place and was angry that the film crew weren't doing the same.  I'd have a lot of respect for a doctor who stood up for his floor like that and would feel much more comfortable in his hands knowing he has a best practice of making sure everyone is up to standard.  Too bad there aren't more doctors and surgeons who are as stringent as he is!

I agree!

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2011, 09:24:47 PM »
Ok, just let me say that every one supporting the surgeon and infection control-I AGREE!

Sponsored Links