Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: lamps and ceiling lights  (Read 929 times)

lamps and ceiling lights
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:12:46 AM »
Please forgive me for not searching for answers. I am worn out from reading the layers of info on here and keep coming up with questions!

My lamps will make my UK place feel like home so does an electrician refit them for the bulbs/socket and flexes? Can ceiling lights be changed over too?

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: lamps and ceiling lights
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:15:52 AM »
It's really not worth the money IMHO. It would likely be cheaper to just buy new ones that are the same or similar to what you have at home.

I don't even know if it can be done... the UK has very strict electrical codes and my guess is your average electrician wouldn't even do the work.

But I might be wrong!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 36
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 02:11:51 PM »
Hi

If it's really important that you have those lamps, then yes, the wiring inside can all be changed to UK flex and depending on the actual lamp design, to have the fittings changed to 240V spec fittings and thus UK bulbs. No idea on the cost, you'd have to call local electricians to get quotes if you are not able to wanting to do this yourself.

Cheers, DtM!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:44:02 PM »
Unless your lamps have HUGE monetary or sentimental value, I'd agree that this plan doesn't really make sense. You'd be much better off just buying new ones.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
Check the cord of your lamps.  If it says that they can handle up to 240 volts, then they won't need rewiring.  I have two small lamps that I brought with me that work here with just a plug converter. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 05:01:29 PM »
Check the cord of your lamps.  If it says that they can handle up to 240 volts, then they won't need rewiring.  I have two small lamps that I brought with me that work here with just a plug converter. 

Ditto this for us.

Sponsored Links