Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Electric Griddle - anyone seen one?  (Read 1211 times)

• Liked: 0
Electric Griddle - anyone seen one?
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:35:56 PM »
I have a great big counter top plug in griddle that I brought from the US years ago when I first came.  It's just been sitting around all this time because we didn't have a way to plug it in and other things were more important at the time.  Well, my well-meaning DH just ordered a 240-120 AC adaptor for me from Ebay.  I could already smell the pancakes. I've just dug the thing out and plugged it. Good thing I didn't mix up the batter first.  Within a few seconds the adaptor started buzzing and smoking, so I quickly unplugged it, then decided to have a look at the packaging.  Turns out it converts up to 45W (less than a light bulb?) and my griddle is 1500W.  The cheapest adaptor for the load I need, that I could find, was $88.  The griddle itself was $20 from Penney's!  I'm pretty disappointed, but somehow I knew it wouldn't be that easy. 

I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen a similar item here.  I know the answer is probably no, because a griddle is one of those things everyone tells you to bring with you when you move.  But do you really spend all that money on the adaptor?  I saw a few people with griddle "pans", but I really wanted something like I already have, with enough room to make pancakes and a fry-up at the same time (plus all the fat drains out like a George Foreman grill). 

Oh well!  You can't have everything I guess!
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL
27 Oct 2006 - Married in US
23 Sep 2009 - Spouse and dependent visas issued
30 Sep 2009 - Arrived in the UK!
20 Oct 2011 - Sent ILR application
12 Jan 2012 - Discretionary Limited Leave to Remain issued

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
Re: Electric Griddle - anyone seen one?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »
I have this:

Which is both a griddle and a grill. Works really well and heats up quickly..

I also have a pancake pan that I got for £5 w/ shipping off eBay

I use this when I dont feel like plugging it in and cleaning it.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:17:02 PM »
Oh, thanks guys! :)
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL
27 Oct 2006 - Married in US
23 Sep 2009 - Spouse and dependent visas issued
30 Sep 2009 - Arrived in the UK!
20 Oct 2011 - Sent ILR application
12 Jan 2012 - Discretionary Limited Leave to Remain issued

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:30:22 PM »
If you haven't bought one yet and if you live near an Aldi they're going to have griddles on Special Buy for next Thursday (21 July) at £19.99. 

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week29Thursday11.htm?WT.z_src=main

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:15:31 AM »
Awww -- we are moving there in October and this was something I wanted to get as a must.  Would anyone be willing to pick one up and hold it till we arrive?? ;D

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
Awww -- we are moving there in October and this was something I wanted to get as a must.  Would anyone be willing to pick one up and hold it till we arrive?? ;D

Where abouts will you be moving to tmfigy?  It's not something that would easily be shipped, but if you'll be "local" I'd do it if my local Aldi has one.  Personally, I have no room for one in my house, otherwise I'd go for the offer.   :P

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:48:25 PM »
Aww- thanks.  We'll be moving to Manchester towards the of Sept/ beginning of Oct.  Just starting to look for housing so no idea about the space issues but we did live in Durham for 3 years before coming back to the US and I must say that was one thing I really did wish I had.  I have already decided if to "splurge" on one this time around.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab