Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Statue of Ronald Reagan unveiled in Grosvenor Square...  (Read 1859 times)

• Liked: 1
Statue of Ronald Reagan unveiled in Grosvenor Square...
« on: July 05, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »
...joining the FDR and Eisenhower statues, the 9/11 memorial and the memorial to the Americans who flew with the RAF in World War II.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2011/07/05/statue_of_reagan_unveiled_outside_us_embassy_in_london/

• Liked: 12
Re: Statue of Ronald Reagan unveiled in Grosvenor Square...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
But are they going to move all these American statues/monuments when the Embassy goes south [of the Thames]?
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »
But are they going to move all these American statues/monuments when the Embassy goes south [of the Thames]?

I saw it when I walked by yesterday afternoon and wondered that myself. 

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »

The statue of Reagan could conveniently fall in the Thames, then, right?  ;D

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »
the statue of Marx in Highgate cemetary needs to come to life and slap Reagan to the ground.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »
“Ronald Reagan ended the Cold War,’’ it reads, “without firing a single shot.’’ (Some British commentators suggested that oversimplifies the matter and ignores the contributions of Eastern European dissidents.)

It oversimplifies a lot more than that...

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
Maybe we should have statues of Chinese leaders in Washington DC honoring them for taking over the US without firing a shot. (over the top I know)

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 06:58:21 AM »
The statue of Reagan could conveniently fall in the Thames, then, right?  ;D

I'm sure I'm gonna catch flack from most of you on this particular response ..I know this is meant to be said in a "joking" manner, but I'm American and here in the US Ronald Reagan is looked at as one of the greatest presidents to have ever resided over my country. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is an insult if I ever heard one.  :-\\\\

Edited to add this thought: I feel that if we had a statue and/or monument erected here in the US of a UK diplomat/war hero/humanitarian etc.. I wouldn't be so quick to make judgements especially if that person served a great purpose. Statues are something to be admired not something to be always judged  :-\\\\ Just my opinion..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:04:22 AM by LittleMissSarcasm »
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• Liked: 163
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
... here in the US Ronald Reagan is looked at as one of the greatest presidents to have ever resided over my country.

Really?  All 300 million Americans are in agreement on Ronald Reagan's greatness?  I find that hard to believe when you consider the wide range of opinions on almost any other subject or person you'd care to mention.

In reality, as with most other things, there are people who think Reagan was great, people who think he was not great, and people who fall in the middle of those two extremes.  Just because you think he was great doesn't mean the whole country thinks he was great.

p.s. It's "presided", not "resided".  The first means "to be in charge of" and the second means "lived in".
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:39:42 AM by camoscato »

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:32 AM »
here in the US Ronald Reagan is looked at as one of the greatest presidents to have ever resided over my country.

Untrue. I lived in the US for nearly 30 years (through the Reagan years and beyond) and I can tell you without a doubt that many Americans think he was an appalling President.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »
I'm sure I'm gonna catch flack from most of you on this particular response ..I know this is meant to be said in a "joking" manner, but I'm American and here in the US Ronald Reagan is looked at as one of the greatest presidents to have ever resided over my country. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is an insult if I ever heard one.  :-\\\\

Edited to add this thought: I feel that if we had a statue and/or monument erected here in the US of a UK diplomat/war hero/humanitarian etc.. I wouldn't be so quick to make judgements especially if that person served a great purpose. Statues are something to be admired not something to be always judged  :-\\\\ Just my opinion..

I lived in America for close to 40 years, and was a teenager when he was first elected and voted against him when he was re-elected. I know that he was not one of the greatest presidents. If you found it insulting, oh well, but I have little respect for that man.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »
LittleMiss, you are of course entitled to your opinion but this american didn't think he was that great a president and as far as I know neither did the rest of my family.
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »
Lived through the Regan years as well. I think he should've stuck to acting. Oh, if only he did. :( Wonder if Ms Thatcher was at the unveiling.
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »
Lived through the Regan years as well. I think he should've stuck to acting. Oh, if only he did. :( Wonder if Ms Thatcher was at the unveiling.
No she wasn't, she was too ill to attend.

Many Americans consider Reagan to have been a great President, many Britons consider Thatcher to been a great PM but Thatcher followed policies that destroyed the industrial base of the country, she had a personal vendetta against the unions driven by ideology, and from what I've learnt Reagan followed similar polices in the US.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
No she wasn't, she was too ill to attend.

Many Americans consider Reagan to have been a great President, many Britons consider Thatcher to been a great PM but Thatcher followed policies that destroyed the industrial base of the country, she had a personal vendetta against the unions driven by ideology, and from what I've learnt Reagan followed similar polices in the US.

DH's told me about the Thatcher Years. Just as bad as the Reagan Years, I reckon. Selling off the railway systems and the Royal Mail. Summed it all up by letting me listen to Frank Turner's "Thatcher F'ed the Kids". Yup, got it completely.
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

Sponsored Links