Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Casey Anthony Acquitted of Murder  (Read 2608 times)

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
Re: Casey Anthony Acquitted of Murder
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
I gather from what I heard from TV commentary last night that the jury knew more than what we heard from Nancy Grace et al.  ::)

The entire trial was televised so anyone could have had as much info as the jury did (if they actually watched the entire thing...and I know people who did watch every single minute).

I do think that the justice system acted in accordance with the laws...it aggravates me when people say that the jury was stupid or justice didn't prevail, etc.  These people obviously have no concept of the fact that you have to PROVE someone is guilty...not just enter a verdict based on a 'gut feeling' or 'knowing'.  Think about it like this...during the Salem witch trials, people were burned at the stake based on the fact that another person 'said' they were a witch.  Some of the accusors even had 'evidence'...like scratches on their arm that came from the spirit of the witch while they were sleeping.  Throwing someone in jail for the rest of their life (or giving them the death penalty) based on the fact that they obviously were a horrible parent, lied to the police repeatedly, etc. is not much more 'civilized' than witch hangings.

After saying all that, it is very apparent that she is in no way 'innocent' and I wish there were some kind of harsher punishment for the things we know she did...like not reporting her daughter missing and continuously lying to the police.  I think that lying to the police about a murder or cover-up of an accidental death should carry a much stiffer sentence than 1 year.

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »
I know a driver who lied to the police about how fast he was going.

My point, people will try to cover up when they have screwed up. So lets put people in jail if they lie to the police or is it only going to count if it is an abuse case?

• Liked: 12
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 05:36:03 PM »
Didn't she get 4 years for the lying, etc.? And, having been inside for 3 years already, may get off with only one year? Or less!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
The entire trial was televised so anyone could have had as much info as the jury did (if they actually watched the entire thing...and I know people who did watch every single minute).

Not entirely true.  A lot of evidence could have been submitted in documentary form of one kind or another.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 07:26:36 PM »
I wish there were some kind of harsher punishment for the things we know she did...like not reporting her daughter missing and continuously lying to the police.  I think that lying to the police about a murder or cover-up of an accidental death should carry a much stiffer sentence than 1 year.

Because of the Casey Anthony case, there is a new law in the works that will make it a federal felony for a parent or legal guardian to fail to report a missing child. I hope it gets passed quickly.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/fl-legislator-files-caylees-law-20110706,0,6995057.story?track=rss

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
Isn't it disgusting to see the mobs camped out around the Casey home. Some people have a problem with the law and again want mob rule.

The problem I think is the media involvement (think Nancy Grace) and they should be held accountable. Could we have the addresses of the TV attorney wannabes so we could camp out at their homes.

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 08:24:35 PM »
The rule of law? Well, with the invasion of Iraq, those being held without trial in Cuba and Afghanistan, the extrajudicial killings commited daily by the US government, that train left the station a long time ago.

No, the problem I have with the jury is that they misapplied the law. No reasonable doubts doesn't mean the absence of any doubts at all. However, she indirectly admitted being present when the child died. her actions over the subsequent month indicated both a lack of guilt and an attempt at a coverup. Plus, how is dumping your kid's body in a swamp any less nuttier than killing him?

Sure, DNA evidence would have been nice. But a mountain of circumstantial evidence was there.

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 09:02:53 PM »
Isn't it disgusting to see the mobs camped out around the Casey home. Some people have a problem with the law and again want mob rule.

The problem I think is the media involvement (think Nancy Grace) and they should be held accountable. Could we have the addresses of the TV attorney wannabes so we could camp out at their homes.

Yes, lets focus on the media... Not on a woman who cared so little about her child that she ( at the very least ) lied about her daughter being missing for 31 days, and invented people to perhaps cover up a genuine accident.  She should have been charged with neglect, not just lying. The prosecution dropped the ball on this one. 
We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "What? We don't need a flag, this is our home, you bastards" "No flag, No Country, You can't have one! Those are the rules... that I just made up!...and I'm backing it up with this gun, that was lent to me from the National Rifle Association."

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 10:47:24 PM »
  Yes, lets focus on the media... Not on a woman who cared so little about her child that she ( at the very least ) lied about her daughter being missing for 31 days, and invented people to perhaps cover up a genuine accident.  She should have been charged with neglect, not just lying. The prosecution dropped the ball on this one. 

Agreed.
You know better than me because you have two young children and are responsible for them 24/7. but sometimes you make mistakes but hopefully nothing of this magnitude.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 02:02:54 AM »
No, the problem I have with the jury is that they misapplied the law. No reasonable doubts doesn't mean the absence of any doubts at all. However, she indirectly admitted being present when the child died. her actions over the subsequent month indicated both a lack of guilt and an attempt at a coverup. Plus, how is dumping your kid's body in a swamp any less nuttier than killing him?

They didn't misapply the law.  They just disagree with you on reasonable doubt.  Just because you don't believe there is reasonable doubt doesn't mean others don't have a differing opinion.  Based on the limited bits I saw (obviously skewed of course), I wouldn't convict her either and my understanding of the law is at least as much as the average person, if not better.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »
The rule of law? Well, with the invasion of Iraq, those being held without trial in Cuba and Afghanistan, the extrajudicial killings commited daily by the US government, that train left the station a long time ago.

Sure, DNA evidence would have been nice. But a mountain of circumstantial evidence was there.

The proverbial train left the station long before the American government decided to abuse any idea of POWs/protecting the States from "enemy combatants" after 9/11.  There have been abuses of citizens' and residents' constitutional rights, some even legislated into law throughout American history.  Thing is, the justice system (and every other system created under the US Constitution) was meant to be imperfect and improved upon.  And any justice system where we use the lowest common denominator as a judge of how we should expect to be treated and as an ideal sounds like a pretty crappy system.

Of course reasonable doubt does not mean beyond a shadow of a doubt.  However, just because a jury felt the defence created a reasonable doubt or the prosecution failed to prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt and you disagree does not mean that they misapplied the law.  What do you base that upon?  Did the judge give faulty instructions?  Was the jury tampered with?  Was this a case of mob mentality working the reverse of how it normally does?

This was not a hung jury.  This was a jury who returned a verdict after quick deliberation.  Do you really think a system is just where a person is given a death sentence (this was a capital case) because even if the no charge more serious than lying to the police was proven (the indictment included capital murder, aggravated manslaughter, child abuse, and lying to the police)? They were meant to return a verdict of abuse, manslaughter, or murder because dumping the body was "nutty"?

I am sure Florida has laws against improper disposal of a body.  I am sure they have charges against interfering with a criminal investigation (more serious than lying to the police). I am sure they have laws that would have covered her failure to protect her child from harm without having to prove out and out abuse.  She wasn't charged with any of these.  Maybe the prosecution was way too sure that their case was open and shut.

DNA and other physical evidence is usually circumstantial by the way.  For instance, my husband used to work in forensics and if they had tied say, someone's DNA to a case, unless someone saw the DNA get put there, there was always room to put doubt into how it got there.  Most criminal cases are built almost entirely on circumstantial evidence.  That doesn't mean that every case that is built entirely on circumstantial evidence is worthy of conviction.

The defence did their job; the prosecution failed to do theirs, at least to the extent where they were able to convince a jury.  Maybe they had no way of ever proving the case to a jury, but it's obvious that the case wasn't as open and shut as you were led to believe.

Yes, lets focus on the media... Not on a woman who cared so little about her child that she ( at the very least ) lied about her daughter being missing for 31 days, and invented people to perhaps cover up a genuine accident.  She should have been charged with neglect, not just lying. The prosecution dropped the ball on this one.  

The media did their job, but people shouldn't mistake them doing their jobs with the justice system doing its job.  

Perhaps people would rather we have cases tried on telly with people like Nancy Grace hammering images and easy prejudicial phrases into our heads.  Then maybe we could create a straw-man with Geraldo arguing the case for the defence.  Nancy can then swoop in and easily dismantle it.

Perhaps how you present evidence, the frequency something is hammered into your head has something to do with the perceptions of just how good the case is against someone?

As someone with the freedom to say I think she was likely a murderer, I think that it's a shame that the prosecution didn't do a better job. Yes, there are times when there simply isn't enough evidence to convict someone of something, but I think they could have managed a more serious charge than lying based upon the evidence they presented. I am surprised that so many people's ire is aimed at an actual functioning aspect of the American justice system and not the prosecutors.  Well, not really surprised, but disappointed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:01:19 AM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
BTW, if anyone who is outside the States is interested in knowing what the jury may have been thinking, here's an interview with one of the jurors.  It should play in your browser without any IP manipulation:

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 11:58:16 AM »
Thanks LA

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
Yeah, I guess it's a bit of a mystery. You're the last one to see your child, she disappears, you try to cover up that fact and she's found dead in a swamp a month later, her eyes and mouth bound with duct tape. How did she die? Who knows? It's confusing. Maybe she just dropped dead. Kids do that.

Good luck with those nursing studies, Susan Ford.

So, to sum up... In the American system of justice, better that one "likely" murderer goes free and a whole bunch of innocent people get jailed/executed/executed without trial than... uh... we question the decision of one jury? (Except, of course, for OJ, who obviously is guiltier than sin.)

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 01:17:40 PM »
No one is getting executed without a trial under the American justice system, and anyone jailed even before a trial has rights to due process of law.  Gitmo is/was operating outside the criminal justice system.  Whether it should or not is a totally different discussion and not really related to what we're talking about here.  Even if it comes to be resolved that Gitmo detainees were always entitled to US Constitutional protections, and the US government failed to protect those rights, it does not follow that we should suddenly follow that standard within the US for criminal cases.  The government were wrong in their treatment of detainees while waging the "War on Terror", so it's okay for the states to not follow the US Constitution when trying criminal cases or we should redefine what reasonable doubt means when a cute child is the alleged victim?

People aren't meant to be prosecuted under what seems to be a possible or a likely scenario that is set forth and then not proven by the state.  Yes, that sort of system would mean that people like Anthony who likely had some involvement in her child's death or in the very least the cover up of that death would be either jailed or killed by the state, and pretty easily.  It would also mean that a lot of innocent people would be too.  

But I suppose you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, amirite?

ETA: If you watch the interview with the alternative juror, even he wouldn't have voted to convict.  I am pretty sure (but anyone with more knowledge about Florida law can correct me) they don't sit in on deliberations but are usually sequestered if the main jury is sequestered.  So if he wasn't in on deliberations, what made him decide that the state didn't prove its case either?  Or, as I've been saying, how things are presented in the media is totally different than how they are presented in a functioning, fair justice system.

Also, from watching the grandfather, there's no question in my mind where Casey learned to lie.  She just perfected the craft a bit more.  That guy was lying about something and seemed well creepy.  Incest accusations aside, he knew more than he was letting on, even if it was that Casey murdered her child before the body was found.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:06:13 PM by Legs Akimbo »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab