Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: SIM Cards?  (Read 783 times)

• BARGALARG!!
  • Liked: 0
SIM Cards?
« on: August 31, 2004, 06:53:05 PM »
I am thinking about bringing my cell phone to the UK with me because I have read that you can replace something called the SIM card with a pre-paid SIM card in a European country?

Has anybody any experience with this? Can anyone tell me how much I can expect to pay for a pre-paid SIM Card?
ouchy

Re: SIM Cards?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 07:16:40 PM »
Make sure you have a tri-band phone, otherwise it won't work here.  If it is, also make sure it is unlocked, otherwise, i'm not sure if retailers here will unlock here, though i'm not sure about that.

I have a tri-band phone in the States, but gave it to my dad to use until my annual contract is up early next year.  I then plan on having him ship it to me and so that I can use it here.

bvamin

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 07:39:52 PM »
A friend of mine did that--she had T-Mobile in the States, so it was an easy switch--she just had to buy the new SIMS card and starter package.  It worked for a while, but the converter was more than a new phone would have been...then, she forgot the converter (she had plug adapters) and plugged it straight in to the wall...talk about melt down!!

On the return trip home, she kept the UK phone, and just used her dryer outlet in the States, because it is 220v.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 09:17:44 AM »
There's no problem doing that as long as your phone is tri-band. Most are nowadays, but older ones or cheaper ones may not be. Also, you run into the problem of charging it up. Not a problem unless you have lots of converters, but as Frances said - that can sometimes be a pain.  ::)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 09:25:40 AM »
We were with T-Mobile in the US and are now with T-Mobile in the UK.  No problems though we now have more phones than we need.  If you plan on doing pay as you go here then by all means bring your triband phone.  In our case we got a contract here instead of pay as you go so we got new phones anyways.   It all depends on what you want to do.  I am not sure how much a SIM card will cost by itself though.  Try emailing a company like T-Mobile UK perhaps.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 12:23:22 PM »
Get your phone unlocked from your network before you bring it over if you can. It can be done here but it's hard to find someone to do it and they will charge you god knows what. Also even if your phone is Tri-band double and triple check it will work here before paying out anything. (My hubby was told his would, then paid to  get it unlocked and bought a sim card etc only to find out it didn't work here after all!!)  A "pay as you go" Sim card is about £10 from most networks and then you put as much money as you want onto it at a time.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 09:52:25 PM »
You can donate your used phones at The Body Shop.  The phones are reprogrammed to dial 999 and given to women who are trying to escape domestic violence.   :)  A worthy cause and an easy way to get rid of a phone you don't use or need!
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab