Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK equivalent to 24 Fitness Gyms (in the US)  (Read 3537 times)

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
UK equivalent to 24 Fitness Gyms (in the US)
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »
Does anybody know of a gym (chain or individual) that compare to the 24 Hour Fitness gyms here in America? Somewhere in the Nottingham area (unless once I move out there my boyfriend has moved somewhere else)? Any links or reccommendations are greatly appreciated ;)
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

Re: UK equivalent to 24 Fitness Gyms (in the US)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:59:05 AM »
Everyone is in the gym business now

you have
LA fitness
Local council run gyms
David Lloyd
Banatyne Gyms

Plus many more, hope this helps

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »
There are a couple in town that advertise 24 hour access. I haven't seen them anywhere else other than the city  centre, but I'll be honest I don't tend to look.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:28:30 AM »
The only 24 hour access gym that I'm aware of  is The Gym in Nottingham.  It's not staffed, so you have to enter your special PIN to get, and it's basically in the building's basement...I signed up when it opened because it was only 9.99/month, but I just couldn't quite get past how sketchy I thought it was.

It's worth a look around if you only care about the basics (cardio equipment/ weights), though.
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:23 AM »
Is that the one on Trinity Square? I could have sworn there was one down by the tesco in the leave market. But I don't look for gyms so I have no clue!

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
The Virgin Gyms are pricey, but from what I've seen come pretty close to 24hr.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:41:19 AM »
Is that the one on Trinity Square? I could have sworn there was one down by the tesco in the leave market. But I don't look for gyms so I have no clue!

Yes, it's on that street between TK Maxx and Waitrose. The Trinity Square student flats are just above it.

Virgin Active in Nottingham is open:
Mon. - Fri. 6.30am - 10.30pm;
Sat. & Sun. 8am - 8pm
..so not quite 24 hours, but it's open more often than not. It is pricey, but it's a really neat facility with all the latest equipment. I went in for a free trial, and really enjoyed it there.
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:14:38 AM »
My husband belonged to the Virgin gym in Sheffield and he loved it. I never went with him, but the way he described it reminded me of gyms in the US. I belonged to Fitness First in Bath/Bristol and I loved them. They offered great classes, there was a pool in the Bath gym, and they offered yoga and pilates at no extra cost. Again, it reminded me of a US gym.

If you get a job, you may find you're eligible for a discount based on your employer.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
There are two 24-hour chains for a gym like this, that I am aware of, in the UK.  The concept is basic, no frills, no contract.

One is The Gym which has been mentioned already.  A friend of mine belongs here in Leeds & she loves it - doesn't find it dodgy at all!

The other one is Pure Gym - don't think they have a Nottingham location though.  I have other friends who belong to that one & think it's fine too.

They have promoted themselves as 'no frills' - but Pure Gym does have a few classes, not sure about The Gym.  They don't have swimming pools, hot tubs or saunas.  It's gym equipment, locker rooms & showers - so basic that way.  Also, AFAIK, they don't have full staff around 24/7 - they are securely locked during off-hours & access is with a key card & there are (I think) CCTV cams & such as part of their security during the wee hours.  My friend that belongs to The Gym says there are staff around during the day & they multi-task as help with equipment and also cleaning up - no separate cleaning staff.  You can also book appointments with a trainer for additional cost.

It makes a nice, competitive, much cheaper alternative to the pricey chains such as Virgin, LA Fitness, David Lloyd, Esporta, etc...particularly if you don't routinely use all the facilities those offer such as swimming pools & so on - but just want a basic workout with the equipment & that's it.  It's also nice not being locked into a long term contract - so if you don't like it or you're just not into it, no worries, no hassles, no longterm commitment!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:36:24 AM »
Well ideally I would like to go to a gym that had classes (spinning, yoga, kickboxing etc..) and possibly a pool/hot tub/sauna. But it would most likely have to be in Nottingham since that's where we will be for a period of time :)
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab