Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US: Atheist Group Wants 9/11 Cross Removed from Museum  (Read 1303 times)

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
Re: US: Atheist Group Wants 9/11 Cross Removed from Museum
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:23 PM »
if there is a symbol representing atheist etc then simply add it to the memorial.....hopefully the outcome will be one of a peaceful nature.
The thing to remember though is this is not a memorial. This is a museum and therefore contains things that were present at the time. This is why I don't see it as a problem.

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »
if we all had the same opinion about things our world would be a rather dull and boring place...hopefully the outcome will be one that everyone will be satisfied with

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 09:19:33 AM »
Sorry, I am getting to this thread late. It is getting long so I thought it might be interesting.

The problem, as I see it, is that it really isn't a cross. It's just two beams from a building that got welded together.  Some Christians are saying that it is a miracle from God, proof that the God of Christianity is watching over everyone because the Christian God caused the cross to form.

It's like a piece of toast with a burnt bit in the middle that people say is the face of Jesus.

So it really depends on the wording on the museum display - if it implies that it was created by a miracle or if it points out that they are just two crossed beams from a very big building that was full of crossed beams, that some people think is a cross.

• Adventures in England
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 09:53:02 AM »
if we all had the same opinion about things our world would be a rather dull and boring place...hopefully the outcome will be one that everyone will be satisfied with

This is a nice sentiment, but the difference between a memorial and a museum isn't an opinion.

I agree sweetpeach, I wouldn't think with the way buildings are structured either that it would be very rare for two beams to intersect...
www.mylifeismediocre.wordpress.com
*ILR Granted!*

ILR Granted-23/02/2013

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 11:49:29 PM »
This is a nice sentiment, but the difference between a memorial and a museum isn't an opinion.

I agree sweetpeach, I wouldn't think with the way buildings are structured either that it would be very rare for two beams to intersect...

your feelings about the situation are important to you and mine are important to me..........people were killed.....lots of them......of different races, religions, etc etc.......i think its a sensitive situation.......i dont care weather its a memorial or museum......the point is that some people feel the cross is wrong and some people dont......there has been enough pain.....no need to cause anymore.....be fair to all involved.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 10:00:44 AM »
As an athiest, I'd say let them have their cross as a symbol of how "God is looking over them", and then point out the complete flaw in that opinion because he allowed 4,000+ people to be killed, but hey....look.....he created a cross out of the wreckage!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

Sponsored Links