Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fibre Optics...  (Read 2564 times)

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
Re: Fibre Optics...
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 07:57:05 AM »
Thanks guys!  This is really helpful, and makes me feel like I'm not totally crazy!  :) 

I think the wiring in our house is fine, because the landlord mentioned that the guy who used to live here did some pretty outlandish electrical projects, so they did a lot of work on that front when they renovated. 

They also had every room in the house wired for TV and phone (minus the kitchen, which is annoying because I like to keep my phone in the kitchen), so I know the stuff is only about 5 years old at the most, though I suppose it's possible some of it could be faulty.

I think I'll have to wait to sort it until I get back from the US, but I'm definitely going to make sure they get someone out here.

Thanks again!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 163
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:02:13 AM »
If still not fixed shoot me a PM. Partner works in systems there and he might be able to get you prioritised, if not look at it himself.

Thanks Kerri!  They eventually got there in the end and it's been working well for a while now.  I have to say I was impressed with PlusNet's level of customer service and the way they kept on top of the problem.

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »
Thanks Kerri!  They eventually got there in the end and it's been working well for a while now.  I have to say I was impressed with PlusNet's level of customer service and the way they kept on top of the problem.

Its good to hear and glad they fixed your issue.
Yeah they pay their CSRs quite well and (I think the highest in the city?) I think that helps with how the service is issued.

Again, if they arent on top of something let me know and Ill see what I can do :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
thanks Kerri for the heads up, I was going to sell all of our microfilters at our big yard sale before we move but I think I will hold on to them now.

We have FO here in Chattanooga and love it. Unlimited for $100 month including home phone service and it is AWESOME! Cable and DSL from phone providers here is CRAP.

download speed 31.4Mbps
upload speed  20.8Mbps

I would love to move to an area where FO was available since we are flexible. How do I find out where it is available.

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
I would love to move to an area where FO was available since we are flexible. How do I find out where it is available.

Virgin - currently provides UP[/i] to 50mb, though they are set to roll out 100mb to select areas and not everywhere can get their fibre optic broadband as they wont install new cable in areas that dont have it.
http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-100mb.html Enter your postcode to see if and when it will be available to you

BT - its called 'Infinity' and only being rolled out to available areas
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017 Again enter your post code to see if and when it is available

I can also recommend PlusNet, but as you know Im biased. Theyre owned by BT but not run by BT. Theyre prices are cheap and they have a strong customer focus (no overseas call centres - its all based out of Sheffield) They do throttle internet during peak times (to be fair almost all the big guys throttle in one way or another, its only the niche providers that dont) but, unless youre downloading 100s of gigs a month, you wont feel it.  They also dont restrict speeds during the hours of 12am to 8am. So if youre smart, you can time your large downloads so it wont affect your service.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband.shtml
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/isp_list/ISP_List_Fixed_Line_Broadband.php
Is a good site to start (though some of their users are a bit biased) for information on whats available and its quality.

Hope this helps with your move over.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
Just an update. After 4 months, someone at Virgin finally listened to us.  He somehow checked the connection, recognised that something wasn't right and had us go through a whole thing to reset the connection.  It worked!

We can use our computers wirelessly now and we've got a good connection (for being out in the middle of nowhere anyway!).  Though, that said, one of our telephone jacks is still absolute rubbish, but now we've separated out the problems and know that those problems have to do with the jack and not with the connection.

Thanks again everyone for the advice!  :)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab