Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Rioting in north London  (Read 7591 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: UK: Rioting in north London
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »
Oh hooray, now it's spread to Hackney, Bermondsey, and Lewisham.

Just heard our high street is on fire :(
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:23:22 PM by rynn_aka_rae »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• Liked: 387
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 06:52:51 PM »
Stay safe you guys in London!

Heard some of it got to Oxford Circus...

Everyone be careful!

• Liked: 24
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
The Bullring in Birmingham has been shut early, and there's talk that police are being mobilised in most large cities.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 07:07:02 PM »
Your post is a bit prophetic about history repeating.  Sort of, but not really.

It's only prophetic if it comes true....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
You guys/chaps are sounding so middle aged :D

It frequently happens that when the hoodies make off with the loot then we hear that the hoodies should be helped by providing them with jobs??? WDIK?

Apparently from what you have posted we can expect the celebration to spread to other large cities in the UK.

The activity may slow down because the big guys (retailers) will bring in guards to protect their premises and stock.

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
It's not political.  It's looting.  The first night they looted local businesses and burnt poor people out of their homes as well as clearing out chain shops.

SoS, it's history repeating because there's disturbances in Brixton and Streatham.  It's not because I wouldn't really call it a demonstration or a clash, but people pulling up to JD Sports and Curry's and running or driving off with gear.

I am not saying there isn't a reason to be angry and things to be addressed.  I am not even against protesting and standing up to the government, even if that means that the police and media paint you as thugs.  I do have something against stupid violence and destroying communities.

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 07:51:32 PM »
I totally agree. The first night you might be able to say people got caught up in the emotion, maybe.

But now they are just thugs.  I don't understand why they aren't just saying that other cities are closing the centres down.  It isn't as if people are going to get the idea to riot from that.  They already have the idea, it just shows that the police are on top of things.

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
I am not saying there isn't a reason to be angry and things to be addressed.  I am not even against protesting and standing up to the government, even if that means that the police and media paint you as thugs.  I do have something against stupid violence and destroying communities.

I totally agree. The first night you might be able to say people got caught up in the emotion, maybe.

But now they are just thugs.  I don't understand why they aren't just saying that other cities are closing the centres down.  It isn't as if people are going to get the idea to riot from that.  They already have the idea, it just shows that the police are on top of things.

Completely agree with both statements here.

The riots of the 80s, there was something behind it (the black community being targeted by the MET, racism and more) but this is just pure evil. Theres no reason for any of this to be happening. If the government actually came back home instead of sticking their heads in the sand of their holiday villas maybe some of this wouldnt be happening, or at least not be as bad as it is.. I mean, its taken at least 3 days for that boff Boris to get back. Not that, I think Labour would be any better, just it be nice for someone high ranking to come out and make a clear statement.

Rumours have it that its about to kick off in Leeds and Manchester.. *fingers crossed*

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
Birmingham has for sure.  A shooting in Leeds, but no idea if it has led to anything.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 09:28:39 PM »
I just don't even really know what to say about it.

Although, I'm fairly annoyed that people keep saying "Call your children and make them come home!"  Yes, because odds are these are all children who would listen to their parents.  ::)

It's a symptom of a much larger social problem.

ETA: The footage just makes me sick.  :(
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 09:40:40 PM »
Completely agree with both statements here.
 Not that, I think Labour would be any better, just it be nice for someone high ranking to come out and make a clear statement.

This isn't true. Nick Clegg has already 'condemned' the riots while Theresa May released a public statement also condemning the riots.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 09:48:14 PM »
I got the bus from work to the train station today. Shortly after I got on the driver announced that it would be the last bus of the evening as all buses were returning to the depot after their current run. On my short journey I lost count of all the riot vans driving past us.

It really saddens me to see this happening to London. And it makes me sick thinking of all the business owners who are going to wake up tomorrow to discover after all their work they're left with nothing. It's even worse that there are children running around thinking this is fun and that it's okay.
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
They're now in Ealing, about 5 minutes from me. They've set the Nandos on fire. Psht! Where will I get lunch on a quiet Sunday now?!

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »
This isn't true. Nick Clegg has already 'condemned' the riots while Theresa May released a public statement also condemning the riots.

Fair enough, statement stands corrected, but it still took two days for Clegg to get back from FRANCE, May said something yesterday(?) and only now are both Cameron & Johnson coming back from their holidays.

http://www.twitvid.com/4JTZH
(It might be overloaded, but its a woman in her late 50s having a go at the youth rioting)

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »
Croydon now. If they hit Lunar House, who's scrood?

Sponsored Links