Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US iPhone 4 in the UK  (Read 3253 times)

• Liked: 0
US iPhone 4 in the UK
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if an "unlocked" US iPhone 4 (from AT&T) will work in the UK with Vodafone or O2? I'm hesitant to unlock it if there's a chance it won't work with the UK providers... I'm a student, so I'd rather not spend the money on a new iphone over in the UK, but I also don't want to ruin a perfectly good phone if it won't work in the UK..

Thank you!!

Re: US iPhone 4 in the UK
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »
I use a jailbroken/unlocked US iPhone 4 on Three whenever I'm in town, it's great.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:13:00 PM by ianp »
NOTE  I am merely an educated layman.  My comments are not to be taken as professional advice.  I speak only for myself, and not my employer or any other organization.  Side-effects include headache, upset stomach, and the realization that advice found on the Internet should be taken with a grain of salt.

• I miss people no matter where I live
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:22:01 AM »
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if an "unlocked" US iPhone 4 (from AT&T) will work in the UK with Vodafone or O2? I'm hesitant to unlock it if there's a chance it won't work with the UK providers... I'm a student, so I'd rather not spend the money on a new iphone over in the UK, but I also don't want to ruin a perfectly good phone if it won't work in the UK..

Thank you!!

That's what unlocking does, lets you use it anywhere in the world on any network.
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 05:47:58 AM »
I use my unlocked (bought unlocked from Apple) iPhone 4S all over the world, with whatever pay as you go sim is the most economical.

If you aren't already aware, this site: http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/
is useful for deciding which sim is your best buy.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
An unlocked iphone should work in the UK

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »
Yes, absolutely.  I'm using my unlocked 4s with O2 right now.

All Apple products will work in any country.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:33:57 AM »
I have version 4.1. Do think it will work? I think unlocking is cheaper to do in the UK or is it?

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:55:16 AM »
Unlocking is free. It can only be done by AT&T. and you have to be finished with your contract. Apple won't release.the code otherwise. Letting anyone else unlock it is a risk.

I unlocked mine last year and use it just fine.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 10:07:51 AM »
I moved here last year and after I paid my contract break fee with ATT, they unlocked my phone 4.  I have been using it with vodaphone ever since and it works.  I just got a uk charger..which also works on a phone bought in the US.

Good Luck to you!

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
We have 2 unlocked iPhone 4s bought in the US and these have been successfully used in the UK on multiple networks using Pay as you Go sim cards. You are good to go, and I would recommend Giffgaff.com as you get a good allowance of minutes and unlimited texts and data for £12 a month.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »
We have 2 unlocked iPhone 4s bought in the US and these have been successfully used in the UK on multiple networks using Pay as you Go sim cards. You are good to go, and I would recommend Giffgaff.com as you get a good allowance of minutes and unlimited texts and data for £12 a month.

I paid £4 for a top up from Lebara which I bought from Tesco last week. It worked well with my iphone 3. Now I'm back in the US I have put my old chip in from Platinum and it works fine. The top in the US is $10 for 2 months. I may add that I very really need to use a cellphone.

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »
Yeap the use the O2 network, so if you want to see what cover will be like, just check your post code on O2s site

• I wear black socks with sneakers cause I'm a dad
    • PenguinSix.com
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:47:51 AM »
iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S will work in the UK if unlocked. However, the iPhone 5 LTE may not, depending on which variant of the iPhone 5 you are using. There are three different types of iPhone 5 on the market and the AT&T one uses an LTE band that is not used in the UK. You can still get 3G service, but for 4G/LTE service an AT&T iPhone 5 won't work.

I should also mention that iPhone's have country-specific warranties, unlike most Apple products that are worldwide. While this is what is on paper, many people have been able to obtain service in other countries. Might not matter if you are out of warranty on the phone.

• Adventures of our Expat Life Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »
I have the Iphone 4 and 5 and brought them with me unlocked from AT&T. I just got O2 service and have no problems using both here.

Sponsored Links