Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK to America: The riots are all your fault also involves American Slang  (Read 1815 times)

• Liked: 0
The BBC must have been so happy that kids were using American slang during the riots.

The best bits are in the comments where many British people point out the "experts" in the article are morons.   Shank-not a British word. Feds for people used since at least the 60s. 

Maybe this is the beginning of the end of these types of articles?  Nah, probably not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14506159

• Liked: 3
I did find it strange to hear people referring to the police as Feds. I commented to DW though that 20 years ago when my niece and nephew were playing with their toys they would often talk in American accents, because so much childrens television was being imported, similarly with Australian phrases that crept in from Neighbours and Home & Away.

P.S. I did not see anywhere where America was being blamed for the riots.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:46:55 AM by TykeMan »
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

I wonder if they spoke in Multi-cultural London Middle English during Wat Tyler's Rebellion.

• Liked: 533
How come southernese never makes it over here?

"Get the 'spensive stuff Britnee!"
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sorry I should have included a smiley in the headline. 

• Liked: 163
Speaking of US slang, I just learned "stack" = $1000

Target of Facebook hit fatally shot

Sorry for the hijack, but when you start hearing "stack" on the streets of east London, you know who to thank.  :)

• The Empire was built on a good cup of Tea
its eerily close to the riots of 1911 here, which started on August 17th 1911 which started when the army bayonet charged a picket line and then open fire on the crowd, killing two young men, one which only left his home to see what the commotion was about

• Liked: 1
Maybe I misread the posts but the term stack and feds, referring to the police, is not a American term in my neck of the woods.

Feds was in the US.  It refers to the FBI, or any federal gov't agent.

• Liked: 1
Feds was in the US.  It refers to the FBI, or any federal gov't agent.
That is the way I hear it used but not for policeman.

• Liked: 9
Re: UK to America: The riots are all your fault also involves American Slang
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
Shank-not a British word. Feds for people used since at least the 60s.

I thought shank was a prison term for the 'homemade' knives the prisoners fashion from whatever they can. I've also only heard 'Feds' to mean federal agents.

With the advent of cable and satellite tv, I think most slang words are slowly becoming used worldwide, because I'm also noticing more words I've always considered to be British starting to creep into American usage, and the same for some Australian.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
That is the way I hear it used but not for policeman.

Some of the young people interviewed about the riots used the term 'feds' and were directly referring to the police. Sort of like saying 'the man' when referring to those in a position of authority.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 06:41:34 PM »
With the advent of cable and satellite tv, I think most slang words are slowly becoming used worldwide

My UK born friend says that as a teenager in London in the 1960s it was quite common in his circle to jokingly call the Metropolitan Police "da Feds" and he thinks that Hollywood movies and a TV series called "The Untouchables" might have helped this along. The series ran from 1959 to 1963 and Robert Stack played Special Agent Eliot Ness.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 08:01:53 PM »
Maybe I misread the posts but the term stack and feds, referring to the police, is not a American term in my neck of the woods.

Stack isn't slang for police, it's slang for $1000.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 09:28:38 PM »
I thought Feds in the US was slang for FBI, not local police.(I wouldn't expect the distinction to carry over to the UK.)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab