Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK to America: The riots are all your fault also involves American Slang  (Read 1816 times)

Re: UK to America: The riots are all your fault also involves American Slang
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 11:26:24 PM »
It just means police/authorities here, from what I can tell.  Last week's "Trollied" had one of the butchers use it jokingly when the intern assistant manager (or whatever) was headed their way.

Of course, used seriously, it sounds to me like people playing cops and robbers.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 11:46:08 PM »
It just means police/authorities here, from what I can tell.  Last week's "Trollied" had one of the butchers use it jokingly when the intern assistant manager (or whatever) was headed their way.

Of course, used seriously, it sounds to me like people playing cops and robbers.

I googled and found it is a term for federal police in Mexico or authorities in Puerto Rico

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federales

http://www.google.com/search?q=federales&hl=en&biw=999&bih=515&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RpVNTtvDPM3PgAf35unlBg&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ

• Liked: 9
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 11:28:05 AM »
I googled and found it is a term for federal police in Mexico or authorities in Puerto Rico

I've always heard 'Feds' for American federal agents, whether it is FBI, ATF etc, and Federale used for Mexican/South American federal authorities, but I don't think I have ever heard it shortened to Fed.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »
I've always heard 'Feds' for American federal agents, whether it is FBI, ATF etc,

Me too so we are on the same page.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Me too so we are on the same page.
Oh yeah, the Feds are any Federal agents like FBI, ATF, DEA etc. Usually the term is used like, Sh** it's the Feds!
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

May you find hope in the darkest hours and focus on the brightest days free from bitterness that grows you may not judge the universe.

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »
Oh yeah, the Feds are any Federal agents like FBI, ATF, DEA etc. Usually the term is used like, Sh** it's the Feds!
depending on which side of the law you are on maybe?

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 01:12:46 AM »
Yes, "Feds" are American federal agents.  Is anyone saying that they aren't called that?  Since this isn't a federal system here and no agents/authorities are officially called "federal" anything here, when it's used to call British police (whose counterparts wouldn't be called "feds" in the US), it's got a different feel to it.  And it's come to mean any sort of authority here, police or otherwise, which again is different than its use in the US.  But it might cross over to the US and begin to mean more what it does here.

Sponsored Links