Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Heading to Edinburgh for a couple days for my 30th. Places to check out?  (Read 1040 times)

• Liked: 0
Hey all, 

So my 30th is coming up, and my loverly wife has decided to treat me to a little holiday in Edinburgh for a few days! Really excited because this is a city I've really wanted to check out and explore.

I'm trying to find some places to go (food/pub/site seeing) while I'm there. I've already got it in my head to go to the Oxford Bar (Anthony Bourdain says it's his fav pub in Scotland, and that's good enough for me), but what other places should I check out?

not really into the clubbing scene.

• Liked: 3
Mary King's Close on the Royal Mile. I find that place fascinating! I've been twice and enjoyed it both times! I also did a ghost tour of the vaults which was good, but I preferred MKC.

And the Castle, of course. You won't be disappointed! Make sure you get to the prison and don't spend all your time in the military museum, like my husband! It's a huge place with lots of cool things to see!

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
Just be careful of doing any of the underground vault tours...if you have any respiratory problems..ie..Asthma.. I would give it a miss.

We did a Mercat Tour of the vaults the first of July and I am still having issues with my breathing..as soon as we walked into them I started feeling the tightness.

• Pajama Enthusiast
Second for Mary King's Close!!!  I've been 3 or 4 times.  I love it!  If you're going this month, there will be loads to do because the festivals are all on at the moment.

As far as pubs/restaurants:  I love The Voodoo Rooms.  It's not far from the train station, so you don't have to trek too far to get to it.  Great atmosphere and sometimes they have music.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

LOVE that city and we are headed up next weekend for the bank holiday. I second the castle visit. The views are amazing from the top and its just a great great piece of history.

Climb the scott monument. It's a whole lot of stairs, but views are great the entire way up and you'll really get that blood flowing and boy, you'll feel alive :)

I've been on the meerkat tours as well. I loved it. Highly recomended.

One of our favorite places is the Grass Market district right under the castle. Its a nice side break from the royal mile traffic. I recomend the Beehive. Loved that place, roomy, and they had a beer garden last time i went.

Another one of our favorite places is the Malt Shovel just a skip away from the train station. I had my first pint after stepping off the plane here and it has a special memory.

I can also recomend Cafe Jacques down in the grass market a few stops down from the beehive. OMG the cakes there (as well as a tasty breakfast) were affordable and so so delicious.

Very good stuff, thanks guys :)

Trying to find some more ideas for food. Looking for a decent seafood restaurant at a reasonable price. Was thinking of checking out The Kitchen, but that's a bit high on the price range right now.

Really liking the tour ideas, will have to check that out  (And I'll check out the Malt Shovel Zip when I get off the train :)   )

• Liked: 1
How about Rosyln Chapel? Pretty cool if you like that sort of stuff which I do. Edinburgh is my second home I love it.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

May you find hope in the darkest hours and focus on the brightest days free from bitterness that grows you may not judge the universe.

seafood? we tried the Mussel Inn and weren't dissapointed, although it wasn't in this year......yet!

Re: Heading to Edinburgh for a couple days for my 30th. Places to check out?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »
Am I too late here? Went for my birthday at beginning of August.

Mary Kings Close was good.

Pubs - The Bow Bar, on Bow Street just off Grassmarket is excellent.

Pizza - Mamma's on Grassmarket, they do gluten free pizza which my wife wanted. They advertise as "tradistion American pizza" and DW said it was the best pizza she'd had over here.
Mexican - one on the Royal Mile that the name escapes me but this was very good.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

Sponsored Links