Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: giffgaff ?  (Read 2471 times)

• Liked: 7
giffgaff ?
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:50:20 AM »
Anybody using Giffgaff right now? Likes? Dislikes? Pros? Cons?

I first heard about it from DB's friend, and it seems like quite a steal-- 8p for UK calls (compared to the 25p I currently pay for the first (and...only) 3 minutes I talk each day).   

Also only 8p for calls to the US! I bet my Mom would be thrilled if I called her more often...
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Re: giffgaff ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve it. I'm on the £10 a month with unlimited internet, and it's fab. I don't use it to call the US (I have Skype), but it's great and so much cheaper than everything else!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
I just got this- on the 10£ a month plan as well.  It's fantastic.  What's nice too is that you can use your cell to call numbers on "free lines" that would normally charge you.  I'd say go for it. 
We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "What? We don't need a flag, this is our home, you bastards" "No flag, No Country, You can't have one! Those are the rules... that I just made up!...and I'm backing it up with this gun, that was lent to me from the National Rifle Association."

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
Cool, so nothing negative.. 

I got my PAC code from O2 yesterday, so I'll be switching to Giffgaff as soon as my credit on O2 runs out (which, at £1/day for internet, since I won't be topping up this month will be on Monday/Tuesday)   yay! :D
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »
Just make sure you really let O2 know your done with them.  I had to "cancel" my automatic top up with them 3 times before they actually cancelled it. Charged me all three times- Jerks
We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "What? We don't need a flag, this is our home, you bastards" "No flag, No Country, You can't have one! Those are the rules... that I just made up!...and I'm backing it up with this gun, that was lent to me from the National Rifle Association."

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »
Just make sure you really let O2 know your done with them.  I had to "cancel" my automatic top up with them 3 times before they actually cancelled it. Charged me all three times- Jerks

Thanks for the heads up, thankfully I'm not enrolled in auto-top ups

• Liked: 36
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »
Hi

I pay 1 pence/min for calls to USA numbers. The local access number is a 0121 geographic number so it's included in the minutes I get on my mobile tariff.

It's from yourcallworld.com and I have the account choice;

http://www.yourcallworld.com/cheap-international-calls-to-USA

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 05:55:19 PM »
18185 is only 0.5p/min to the US.  :)

Also if you use TopCashBack, there is a clicky for giffgaff.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• I miss people no matter where I live
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 08:47:58 PM »
Giffgaff is fabulous especially if people you know use it too (free unlimited texts +calls to other giffgaffers). I don't think you can use the £10 goodybag to call internationally. It wouldn't let me call out unless I actually topped up extra credit as well as the goody bag. I'm trying to get everyone on board  :P
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 08:29:29 PM »
Love giffgaff.  I just have a normal simple phone but hubby has a smart phone and get the data plan.  It is great for him as well. 

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »
I am considering trying GiffGaff when my credit with Orange expires so thanks for all the good comments. And also for the advice on cheap rates to the US!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 12:28:31 AM »
I'm actually planning to switch away from Giffgaff soon!

(With the Topcashback rebate, Three's basic plan works out £5 a month for me, with enough texts, minutes and data to cover everything I'd want - and I've had a few irritating outages with GG other networks don't have.)

There are a few minor downsides to GG: the voicemail greeting is locked on one identifying itself as Giffgaff, rather than a personal greeting like other networks, and no iPhone tethering allowed without a jailbreak and dodgy tricks.

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »

(With the Topcashback rebate, Three's basic plan works out £5 a month for me, with enough texts, minutes and data to cover everything I'd want - and I've had a few irritating outages with GG other networks don't have.)

Ha, I just swapped from Three to Giffgaff. I had no problem with Three's prices, but wherever I went - central London or across England - I had signal issues, which they were never able to resolve. And then I had to spend over 30 minutes on the phone (politely) yelling at them to just give me my PAC so I could leave, and not lie to me about how I'd be breaking my (12-month acquired 22 months ago) contract, etc.

I hope Three works better for you performance-wise! So far (only a week in) GG seems miles better for me as far as signal.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:47 PM »

There are a few minor downsides to GG: the voicemail greeting is locked on one identifying itself as Giffgaff, rather than a personal greeting like other networks, and no iPhone tethering allowed without a jailbreak and dodgy tricks.

The only outages I've had with GiffGaff were O2 related, as its an O2 product, not very surprising. The last few ones didnt affect me in Sheffield, but did my partner as the outages happened when he was in London. Which is odd.

I have a personal greeting for my voicemail (well for when callers leave a message, I dont think I've ever heard myself welcome me to my own mailbox) and the instructions after the greeting are the same as if I was with vodafone or O2.

I can tether on the £10 plan, but I dont have an iPhone and only use the teethering occasionally.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab