Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Red Arrows pilot killed in crash  (Read 733 times)

• Liked: 3595
Red Arrows pilot killed in crash
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »
Red Arrows pilot dies in Bournemouth Air Festival crash:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14602900

So sad :(.

It's hitting a bit close to home for me because I've been providing our helicopter pilots with weather forecasts for flying down to the Bournemouth Air Festival this week to support the Reds. I also briefed the CFS Group Captain Simon Blake a couple of days ago as well... and he's just been on TV talking about the crash.

Makes me realise how important my job can be though, because the first thing they do in a crash inquiry is request all the weather forecast documentation provided by the forecaster on duty at the time of the crash, to determine if the weather was a cause (and if so, an illogical or inaccurate forecast could mean a formal investigation!).

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
Re: Red Arrows pilot killed in crash
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:52:48 PM »
Read a couple of articles about this.. It's quite sad :( Ksand I didn't know what you did for a living, but I must say your job sounds interesting :) Were you working on the day this happened?
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »
Read a couple of articles about this.. It's quite sad :( Ksand I didn't know what you did for a living, but I must say your job sounds interesting :) Were you working on the day this happened?

It only happened a few hours ago actually - the news has only just been coming in this evening (first I heard of it, there was no news on whether the pilot was alive or not, just that one of the planes had crashed).

I wasn't working today though - the RAF base I currently work on is closed at the weekends - but I imagine it'll be a talking point on the base when I go back to work on Monday.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
It only happened a few hours ago actually - the news has only just been coming in this evening (first I heard of it, there was no news on whether the pilot was alive or not, just that one of the planes had crashed).

I wasn't working today though - the RAF base I currently work on is closed at the weekends - but I imagine it'll be a talking point on the base when I go back to work on Monday.

Oh I could of sworn I read that it happened yesterday (must have misread) :P Hopefully no one is severely injured or dead. Praying for all involved! I can only imagine how highly talked about it will be come the next work day for you.. :-\\\\
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »
It is unfortunate that the pilot died.
I remember seeing the RAs perform in Sidmouth and the first thing I said as they arrived fly low over the buildings was, that is dangerous. They are machines and things go wrong and all those people watching are at risk.
A few minutes later we saw one of the aircraft crash into the sea. Fortunately the pilot was rescued and taken to hospital.

33 yo with a wife.

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »
So sad. :( We were watching this on the news yesterday (before they confirmed his death), and it didn't look promising.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Proud US/UK citizen & Royal Marine Commando Wife!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 08:47:04 AM »
Devastating! We watched them land yesterday, and it was horribly sad!  Have no desire to finish watching the rest of the Air Fesitval today.  :( RIP Flt Lt Egging

• http://www.gasboiler-buyability.co.uk/buy-a-british-gas-boiler/
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:54:11 AM »
Considering they have been around since 1964 they have only had about dozen crashes from over 4,000 displays that's pretty amazing considering how close they fly.
newcomer link: http://www.gasboiler-buyability.co.uk/offers/british-gas-boilers/ [nonactive]

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
I just found out that at my new job posting in Lincolnshire, I will be briefing the Red Arrows when they do displays - well technically, I will be briefing the 'briefer' - i.e. one of the pilots does the brief, but I will be giving him the weather information over the phone beforehand.

Apparently, Flt Lt Egging was the most recent 'briefer' - so I would have actually been talking to him on the phone for briefings from next month had the crash not happened :(.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »
I just found out that at my new job posting in Lincolnshire, I will be briefing the Red Arrows when they do displays - well technically, I will be briefing the 'briefer' - i.e. one of the pilots does the brief, but I will be giving him the weather information over the phone beforehand.

Apparently, Flt Lt Egging was the most recent 'briefer' - so I would have actually been talking to him on the phone for briefings from next month had the crash not happened :(.

How sad :( I hope his family/friends/co workers are coping with the loss as best as they can.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab