Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK - Stagecoach to hand £340m to shareholders  (Read 637 times)

• Liked: 533
UK - Stagecoach to hand £340m to shareholders
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
"just days after rail passengers learned they face record fare increases of up to 13%"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/aug/19/stagecoach-hands-shareholders-payout
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1
Re: UK - Stagecoach to hand £340m to shareholders
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:06 PM »
"just days after rail passengers learned they face record fare increases of up to 13%"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/aug/19/stagecoach-hands-shareholders-payout

Not to mention cancelling discount fares for old age pensioners.
More riots

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:08:30 AM »
Another reason why the railways should be nationalised.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:24 AM »
What made me LOL when they were announcing the fare increases was one of the companies (or whatever) said that these fare increases in London wouldn't be a burden because affluent people commute.  WTF?  Really?  We aren't exactly affluent, and we're being priced out of the capital.  My husband could take a bus into his job, but it would take hours to go a couple of boroughs.  There is no tube service in our area (plus the tube isn't exactly cheap either).  He has to take the train in.  We're talking about moving outside the city entirely to save money, and we aren't alone.  It's becoming more and more the trend, and the idea that the less affluent live in the centres with the rich living in well heeled suburbs is a notion of a bygone era.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 04:58:25 PM »
What made me LOL when they were announcing the fare increases was one of the companies (or whatever) said that these fare increases in London wouldn't be a burden because affluent people commute.  WTF?  Really?  We aren't exactly affluent, and we're being priced out of the capital.  My husband could take a bus into his job, but it would take hours to go a couple of boroughs.  There is no tube service in our area (plus the tube isn't exactly cheap either).  He has to take the train in.  We're talking about moving outside the city entirely to save money, and we aren't alone.  It's becoming more and more the trend, and the idea that the less affluent live in the centres with the rich living in well heeled suburbs is a notion of a bygone era.

A lot of jobs in London could be relocated so I would like to see heavy property taxes on businesses who are in London and then use the tax money to pay for the employees fares. Fat chance.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »
A lot of jobs in London could be relocated so I would like to see heavy property taxes on businesses who are in London and then use the tax money to pay for the employees fares. Fat chance.

I doubt they could up and move the entire uni where my husband works.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »

I worked in London 25 years ago and argued then that there was no need for the data centre of the company to be based in London, even less of a need these days for head offices to be based in the capital.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
Now they can all be based in Cambridge where all the people who want to stay after going to Uni can drive down the wages.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab