Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: internet/computers  (Read 1046 times)

• Liked: 5
internet/computers
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:53:38 AM »
I know i seen this some where but i cannot remember where so sorry if this is a repost.

but I have a Mac Laptop and of course I will be taking it with me. I am wondering should I take my own stuff for wireless connection and what not. I am thinking it might be easier to take my equipment that is already set up for my computer than bother with stuff over there. I know i will have to get plugs but thats no problem

and two can someone explain the whole internet set up process. I heard it could take up to a month sometimes... Why so long?!?! geeze lol

thanks
live, love, laugh

Jan 2013 - Tier 4  Student Visa
Mar 2015 - Met Him
Dec 2015 - Engaged
April 8 2016- Wedding
April 11 2016- FLR (M) -Sheffield

• I miss people no matter where I live
  • Liked: 0
Re: internet/computers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:40:06 AM »
I wouldn't take the internet stuff with you because the companies that supply you with internet here give you a router, cables, and all the setup you need. Someone comes around to hook everything up so it's no trouble.

It took us 2 weeks to get internet and that was the longest it took. We keep moving around so they have to come out and hook things up all over again (or so they say). I have no idea why it takes so long sometimes. Someone else will come along and enlighten us!
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:56:14 AM »
Yeah, there's not really much point in bringing the internet stuff.  They send it to you, like GibbyGab said, plus you might not have the same kind of connection that you have in the US.  It's really easy to get it all going as well, at least with a MacBook.

The only reason it seems to take so long (from what I can tell) is that they're terrible at planning.  Some companies tell you that you can't call to set up until a week/2 weeks before you move and then when you call they can't set you up for another 2 or 3 weeks because they're booked up. 

Why don't you just let me call when I know I'm moving and we can have a better date set up ahead of time?!  They wouldn't have to change a single thing about their process, and people would be happy for being able to set up an appointment well in advance and would think it's great customer service for not having to wait ages.  I don't get it.  ???

That said, like GibbyGab, the longest I've had to wait is about 2 weeks.  I just got myself a library card and went to the library if I needed to check my e-mail or anything.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:13:06 PM »
The only reason it seems to take so long (from what I can tell) is that they're terrible at planning.  Some companies tell you that you can't call to set up until a week/2 weeks before you move and then when you call they can't set you up for another 2 or 3 weeks because they're booked up. 

And it's not just the UK that has problems - in the US, it took Comcast over a month to set up my internet (including an online agent booking an appointment for me that was not even available in the first place, plus two more cancelled appointments and one appointment where they couldn't get into the electrical cupboard so they had to leave without hooking the service up for me :().

In comparison, it's never taken me more than 2 weeks in the UK to get internet set up (at 3 different addresses over the last 4 years).

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:34:49 AM »
Thanks all! I didn't want to bring all that stuff so I thought i would ask.. lol usually i bring my belkin wireless thingy with me everywhere but for this i did not want to do it all... maybe i will try to sell it for cash lol lol.

And i have never had to wait longer than a few days for internet so i thought that month time frame was super long

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:36:22 AM by nmanda »
live, love, laugh

Mar 2015 - Met Him
Dec 2015 - Engaged
April 8 2016- Wedding

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:05:42 AM »
nmanda, I truly hope a month is all you'll have to wait! In the three occasions I have got internet installed in the UK, the least it's taken was six weeks. The most was five months.  :o
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:04 PM »
Getting our phone/internet hooked up has been a bit of a nightmare. We decided to go with Virgin as we wanted unlimited downloads. It took several days for the contract guy to come to our flat so we could sign the contract. Then it took about 8 business days before the tech could get here to hook us up. The tech got here, and had problems getting a dial tone. He said a diff person would need to come back and survey the line (or something like that). Then come to find out, we should have received the modem by courier before the tech got here. This was never told to us - we assumed the tech would have it. So eventually about 3days after the tech appt we had the phone and internet.

Fast forward two weeks later, and the internet and phone no longer works. OH calls Virgin, they investigate and come to find out they cancelled our service because we didn't reschedule some appt we were never even told we needed. So now we aren't going to have service back until Sept. 8th - and they are sending us a diff modem because apparently they can't just flick the switch and reactivate the one we have. We've been given the excuse that it's some problem between BT handing over the line to Virgin or something. Regardless, it's been a source of irritation for my OH and I. ::)

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:34:51 PM »
 I have heard so many more horror stories with getting internet that I am completely nervous lol. I do pretty much everything on the internet. I know it will be a bit different but right now i use it for tv, music, calls, etc. so the thought of being without for a long period of time is.... ummm scary? lol

i just dont understand why they seem to inept at getting internet in ppl homes. I know the explanation that was given... just still kinda shocks me
live, love, laugh

Mar 2015 - Met Him
Dec 2015 - Engaged
April 8 2016- Wedding

• Liked: 36
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »
Hi

My 'Backup' internet connection is a wireless device that creates a small wi-fi hotspot around itself that can be shared with up to 5 devices. Sometimes, when my power goes off, or my router has a fit or indeed there's a service outage, I just use that to stay online.

I use the 3 Mi-Fi device and as I've been a 3 customer for sometime now, I pay a reduced rate. However, for new customers there's a £16/month with 5GB of data plan available (15GB at £23/month) and a PAYG service so you'd need to buy the device at £72.

http://www.three.co.uk/Devices/Huawei/E585/Black?intid=3mainmbbwtclbru246

Caveats are of course you need to be in a good signal area for 3G service. If you are out in the sticks then it'll be hard luck there! I also use my device in the car and can then share the connection when out and about etc.

There's reports now some people use mobile broadband like this and don't have a home connection in the traditional way. Do check out similar from Vodafone, not sure if other networks offer something similar...

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

Sponsored Links