Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: After reading all of the posts...should I buy in UK or not?  (Read 1255 times)

After reading all of the posts...should I buy in UK or not?
« on: August 22, 2011, 03:55:23 AM »
I want to know if I should buy electronics in the UK or would it be best to bring over with converters. Products are super expensive there right? Converters aren't cheap and also heavy. Should I buy dual voltage substitutes if I can find them? I have some.

I wouldn't mind a few converters if they are safe and I am thinking they are?

• Liked: 5
Re: After reading all of the posts...should I buy in UK or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:04:29 AM »
It depends.

For the most part electronics are cheaper in the US.  If the equipment is already dual voltage than it probably makes sense to buy in the US.  If the equipment is single voltage, there are a lot of arguments for just purchasing in the UK. 

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:58:52 AM »
Are you talking about large appliances like stove and such?  Or small appliances like hair dryers?  I found that most of my small stuff could be used here with just an adapter.  If it says 110-240 V, then it is ok for use in this country.  If it only says 110-120 V, then you will need a convertor. 
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

• Liked: 36
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »
Hi blahblah

You'll need to be a little more specific as already mentioned! what kinds of electronics are you thinking about?

'Generally' speaking, electronics that are like for like and the same EXACT model number are cheaper in the US. If you look at the discount retailers here in the UK and the same in the US, you'll still find it cheaper in the US but perhaps at a lesser margin.

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
Are you talking about large appliances like stove and such?  Or small appliances like hair dryers?  I found that most of my small stuff could be used here with just an adapter.  If it says 110-240 V, then it is ok for use in this country.  If it only says 110-120 V, then you will need a convertor. 
I have tried my shaver with an adapter and it didn't work the same as in the US and I put that down to the different cycle in the UK. I'm not an electrician so I don't know for sure.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »
I have tried my shaver with an adapter and it didn't work the same as in the US and I put that down to the different cycle in the UK. I'm not an electrician so I don't know for sure.

I think you are right about that. I can't remember but I think it was the dual voltage hair dryer that would only do one speed and/heat setting.

This stuff is confusing.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
I have hauled over a "dual voltage" straightener, curling iron and hair dryer bought specifically to to keep at DF's house, thinking that its cheaper to buy in US rather than the UK. The straightener did not work, ended up buying one at tesco's, curling iron did not work, ended up buying one at tesco's, hair dryer works on the converter, but I find it annoying to have to use the converter, so will probably buy another hairdryer one of these days. So the lesson learned for me, anyway, buy once in the country intended for instead of paying twice the amount for the same thing! [smiley=dunce.gif]

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 11:27:43 PM »
Remember that you can convert the voltage, but wattage and frequency are also important.  Anything with a heating element is going to require upwards of 1000w, which requires a big heavy expensive converter.  Also, anything with a motor in it is going to run nearly 20% slower on 50hz (UK) power instead of 60hz American power.  That's why things like blenders and electric shavers don't work as well.

Generally, the only things that work well on either system are solid-state electronics like laptops, mobiles, and digital cameras.  And those just happen to be the kind of stuff that is dual-voltage out of the box, imagine that.  ;)

My rule of thumb is that if it requires a voltage converter, it stays on one side of the pond.
NOTE  I am merely an educated layman.  My comments are not to be taken as professional advice.  I speak only for myself, and not my employer or any other organization.  Side-effects include headache, upset stomach, and the realization that advice found on the Internet should be taken with a grain of salt.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:43:31 AM »
Remember that you can convert the voltage, but wattage and frequency are also important.  Anything with a heating element is going to require upwards of 1000w, which requires a big heavy expensive converter.  Also, anything with a motor in it is going to run nearly 20% slower on 50hz (UK) power instead of 60hz American power.  That's why things like blenders and electric shavers don't work as well.

Generally, the only things that work well on either system are solid-state electronics like laptops, mobiles, and digital cameras.  And those just happen to be the kind of stuff that is dual-voltage out of the box, imagine that.  ;)

My rule of thumb is that if it requires a voltage converter, it stays on one side of the pond.

This explains alot and I was beginning to think that only the items you mentioned (laptops, cameras etc.) would be the ones going.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 12:47:07 AM »
I have hauled over a "dual voltage" straightener, curling iron and hair dryer bought specifically to to keep at DF's house, thinking that its cheaper to buy in US rather than the UK. The straightener did not work, ended up buying one at tesco's, curling iron did not work, ended up buying one at tesco's, hair dryer works on the converter, but I find it annoying to have to use the converter, so will probably buy another hairdryer one of these days. So the lesson learned for me, anyway, buy once in the country intended for instead of paying twice the amount for the same thing! [smiley=dunce.gif]

This irritating so thanks for telling your experience! Seems that I will have to buy a few things as soon as possible. Love the dunce smiley, it looks just like me except I don't wear pointy hat!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »
I bought a converter for about 14GBP for my hair straightener. Works perfectly fine. It's obviously not something you leave on for very long  :P
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
Blah blah, the curling iron did actually turn on, but it barely got hot so it really didn't work so very good....I agree with Ianp, if it needs a converter it stays where it lives!
Oh and I feel like the dunce smiley more often then not when i am in the UK haha! :(

Sponsored Links