Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US: 5.8 earthquake hits Virginia  (Read 1321 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
US: 5.8 earthquake hits Virginia
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
Felt it here in Baltimore and reports of people feeling it all the way up to Boston!

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23/quake-hits-near-washington-d-c/?hpt=hp_t2
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
Re: US: 5.8 earthquake hits Virginia
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:20:21 PM »
I just called my mom when I saw all the posts on facebook.  Totally nuts!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
Wow! How bizarre!
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »
Seriously crazy! Highly unusual for this area. Not sure we've ever had such a big one. We thought our house was falling down!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »
Yup, we felt it in Cambridge, MA. I was in the stacks and noticed the shelving creaking and then my chair started juddering. Bet it was pretty scary further south.

And a hurricane on the way!?
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:41:11 PM »
It was crazy scary. I've never been in an earthquake before. I was sitting on the bed, reading, and the bed started to shake. I ran downstairs and we stood there trying to figure out what was going on (we live in the city, so lots of trucks, construction, etc). We went outside and chatted with neighbors after it was over and now I feel totally guilty because I forgot to grab the cat before I went downstairs.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »
People here in Boston are talking about it and what they felt.  I didn't feel it, but then again, I've been walking around this place like a madwoman today.  Crazy.

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »
I felt it here in the Philadelphia suburbs. I was talking to DF at the time. I said, "The whole house is shaking!"  He said, "Drinking so early in the day, luv? Tsk, tsk!"  ;D
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »
I felt it here at work in the Bronx, I thought I was getting heat stroke or something, ??? I have never felt anything like that before, so my mind couldn't rationalize what was happening I guess....... Earthquakes, hurricanes, whats next! This is crazy.

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 03:34:50 AM »
I'm not far from the epicenter.  It was pretty freaky.  We had an earthquake here in 2003 (I didn't really "experience" it as I was driving down the road in VA Beach) and I found out then that we live right on top of a major faultline.  Awesome. 

We had a 4.2 aftershock a few hours ago.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
There are usually a couple of earthquakes this size a decade in NYS, but they tend to be in the northern Adirondacks and rarely do they spread very far.  The regions of the country with moderate to high earthquake risk would probably surprise people, including smug westcoasters picking on easterners for being taken off guard by this:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/products/graphic2pct50.jpg

This series of quakes made church bells ring in Boston:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1811-1812.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
I read (in Crack at the Edge of the World by Simon Winchester*) that part of the problem with the "milder" risk of earthquakes across the midwest is that the ground is soft soil, as opposed to the hard rock on the west coast, so a relatively low magnitude earthquake could flatten hundreds of square miles as the ground just keeps rippling.

I felt validated reading that as I've long maintained that my midwestern relatives are crazy to live in brick buildings and the first earthquake would bring it all down on their heads. They keep laughing at me 'cause they "never have earthquakes" but science is on my side.

*he explains that the midwest isn't a fault region, but like the center of a pie crust - as the edges move and shift the middle sometimes buckles

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 11:49:34 AM »
I didn't mean west coast people who thought that people were making a bigger deal out of the earthquake than was necessary are smug, but my twitter feed is full of people saying, "Oh, we just experienced a 3.9 quake this morning in California.  What will we do?"  Well, yeah.  First of all, that's a lot smaller in intensity, probably covered an area a fraction of the size, and Californians are prepared.  East coast people aren't.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »
Yeah, I have some of that in my twitter feed as well  :) My comment was in reply to the map.  Personally I think little/harmless earthquakes like this one are fun - you get an adrenaline rush, something to bond with random strangers over, a few days of "so how about that earthquake, eh?" and everyone moves on. I think it's nice that more of the country to see this side of earthquakes.

(but I still hate spending time in brick buildings)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »
I'd like to see LA deal with 15 inches of snow.  When that happens they can get back to me about earthqueakes.  ;)

Sponsored Links