Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can you marry while in UK on tourist visa?  (Read 4505 times)

• Liked: 0
Can you marry while in UK on tourist visa?
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
Hello all,

I am hoping someone can answer this simple question with a simple answer: 

Can you get married in the UK while here on a tourist visa? 

I appreciate any and all answers, with as much detail as you can muster. 

Thanks!!!  ;D

Re: Can you marry while in UK on tourist visa?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:02:02 AM »
One of the conditions of a visitor is that the person does not intend during their visit to get married.  The person is supposed to get a Marriage Visit Visa instead.  So getting married (giving notice, etc) is a violation of terms and would put future applications at risk of refusal under Paragraph 320(11). 

That doesn't mean you can't do it, however.  All you need to get married is to convince the Registry Office to conduct the marriage.  If they buy into your rationale, they will do it; if they don't, they will call the police and and you get to be in the news.   

Once married, they don't allow switching out of visitor into settlement categories, and it gets them upset when people try to do it. 

So the MVV is usually the best aswer.  The wording of your question indicates that you're already 'here', so the MVV isn't an option for you.

I hope that's simple enough  :D

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 07:30:36 AM »
Thanks very much, Transpondia!  Very helpful!

I'm actually asking for a friend .. really, I am :)  I've gone through this process already, about a year ago and have a spousal visa.  My friend is in the beginning stages, and has been advised they can marry here while she is visiting on her 6 month visa. 

I thought that sounded odd, as it was definitely *NOT* an option for us a year ago.  So I came straight to the experts!  It seems as though the COA has been taken out of the equation, but it doesn't make it easier, right?

So basically, she must go back to the States for anything to happen, because she cannot change her status of tourist visa.  Even if they got married here, she would still have to go back to US to apply for Spousal Visa, and it would be more of a risky application.  Once in the States she can apply for MVV or Fiance Visa, OR they can get married in States and she can apply for Spousal Visa. 

Am I correct?

• I miss people no matter where I live
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:52:50 AM »
Yep you're correct. :)
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015