Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hurricane due to hit NYC Sunday  (Read 2822 times)

• Liked: 1
Hurricane due to hit NYC Sunday
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:23:36 AM »
We have to just wait and see if this happens.

• Smiley Gifts World
Re: Hurricane due to hit NYC Sunday
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:00:18 AM »
My parents live not too far from the coast in NJ. I just saw a message saying my mom is headed to my sister's in PA...my dad is staying behind as he is a red cross volunteer and will be helping out with shelters.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »
Best wishes to people along the coast dealing with evacuations and whatnot, but admittedly my worries are selfish - our big move to Northern Ireland (flying out of Newark) is this Thursday and all I can think about is hoping all the cancellations and flooding are all cleared up by then.

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »
Yeah, eye of the storm supposed to go straight over Long Island.
Calling my Dad in a bit to see how theyre holding up. Last big storm to hit straight was Gloria in 1985, which was between a Cat3/4 (Irene is only a 2 - at this moment in time)

Just spoke to my Mom whose on the East coast of Florida and said theyve only suffered tropical rainstorm like conditions...

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker
Is a good source of tracking the system.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 04:42:22 PM »
My mom lives right near the ocean. We'll have to see what happens.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »
This has totally ruined my wedding.  People are cancelling faster than we can pick up the phone. 

I'm sending them all bills for the money I've spent on them, or, when they send a gift I'm just going to return to sender, I don't want it. 

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 06:32:14 PM »
This has totally ruined my wedding.  People are cancelling faster than we can pick up the phone. 

I'm sending them all bills for the money I've spent on them, or, when they send a gift I'm just going to return to sender, I don't want it. 

That's terrible (that people are backing out)!

You'd think the Northeast had never had a hurricane warning before.  ::)

I'm sure your wedding will be great regardless. Congrats in advance.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »
Oh Sscarllet, I feel so bad for you, all your planning for your big day and now to have it ruined because of a hurricane of all things, I am sorry.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 06:40:55 PM »

Oh no!  :(

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »
Not that this is so much solace with the dreams and money invested in it, but the most important part of the wedding is you and your fiancée.  I hope it is a beautiful day for you regardless of complications.

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »

Oh at least keep the gifts!  ;D

I know, it's not a laughing matter. Just trying to make you smile.  What a terrible thing to happen. I am sorry. I do hope your wedding day is beautiful, regardless of the weather.

I have several family members who live or have property at the Jersey shore. We are all crossing our fingers.
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 7
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 02:08:14 AM »
there seems to be  lot of hype about this one.  Sorry it's ruining your wedding plans sscarlet :(

I am a bit worried though, everything ive seen said it's going to hit morehead city and atlantic beach, nc first...which is exactly where my parents live. Last i checked they already had >20mph winds. Tried calling, but couldn't get through :-\\\\

stay safe to all those on the east coast!

2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 02:35:53 AM »
Another good website to track the storm is Stormpulse:
http://www.stormpulse.com/

If you can't call someone, please try texting if possible.  Texting requires less bandwidth, and was my most reliable communication after Hurricane Ike.  A Sprint representative said today that they can process at least 30-50 text messages with the resources used to handle 1 voice transmission.   

Red Cross Safe and Well is where you can search for loved ones and they can register as safe and well.  I did after our power was restored post-Hurricane Ike. 
https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 07:10:25 AM »
My brother has been in NYC this week and was due to take a bus down to our relatives in Arkansas tonight, going right down the east coast! He managed to change his bus ticket and got on a different bus yesterday going via Pittsburgh instead (an extra 8 hours on the journey time) - I just hope he gets there without too many hassles. He's supposed to get the bus back to NYC to fly back to London in about 2 weeks, so I hope everything will be okay again by then.

Not sure he picked the best week to fly out to the East coast though - since he got there on Monday, there's been an earthquake and the hurricane!

When I was doing a meteorological briefing at work yesterday morning, one of the pilots asked me if the hurricane was going to affect us here in the UK at all - now, that's not unheard of because hurricanes can become extra-tropical storms and track across the Atlantic towards us, but it was only 8 a.m. and I'd spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out what was going to happen in Shropshire that day, not tracking hurricane Irene on the other side of the Atlantic :P.

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 09:31:07 AM »
The venue cancelled on us.  8 months of planning down the drain.  11 people from the UK are here, some of my family made it up from MD.  My officiant can't make it. 

My mom did work some magic and we managed to move it to a near by hotel.  My DF and my mom spent all afternoon replanning the whole thing so that I could get my nails done. 

We might be saying our vows via skype. 

I'm so appreciative of my mom and Edward.  Everyone who is here couldn't be more amazing.  I just can't believe that the nice event we planned is gone. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab