Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My Hurricane Wedding  (Read 4319 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: My Hurricane Wedding
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:17 AM »
Congrats!
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Patience is a virtue I do not have.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 04:02:23 AM »
Awww, that story actually bought tears to my eyes! It was so sweet!!!

Being an international couple you def have got to be prepared, as my fiance and I found out. We were suppose to get married last Feb but an accident caused him to miss his flight to the airport so we had to scramble and change the wedding date to this October (we didn't even get to see each other in Feb) and it's def reminded us that we don't always have a say in what goes on!

Congratulations!!!
Met Online: Jan 2010
Became a Couple: Feb 2010
Met in person: June 2010
Engaged: June 2010
Hubby's 2nd trip to the US: Oct 2010
Failed trip due to accident: Feb 2011
Married: 15th of October, 2011
Applying for Visa: Sept/Aug 2012

• I'm the Brit half...
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 04:10:14 AM »
Awwwwww proof indeed that love can conquer all!
 [smiley=love.gif]

Congrats :)
2nd April 2011 - married in MN, USA
7th April 2011 - Applied online for Spouse Visa
11th April 2011 - Spouse visa issued
12th May 2011 - Hubby home :)
22nd June 2013 - ILR :) :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 05:22:04 AM »
Glad you got it worked out in the end. Just goes to show you don't need an elaborate wedding- but just some love to make it happen.  Congratulations!!!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 05:24:57 AM »
This is such a great story. You should really document it! Your day will be forever remembered by not just you two, but everyone that was touched that day. I concur that if you made it through that marriage should be a breeze (no hurricane pun intended).

Congratulations!!
Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.  A. Lincoln

09/09: Met in San Diego
09/09-04/11: 9 trips, 1000 hours of Skype, a billion IMs
04/11-08/11: Successfully lived under the same roof in the UK
08/11: Engaged
02/11/12: Wedding in San Diego
03/12/12: Submitted online application
03/16/12: Biometrics appointment, documents sent
3/28/12: Spousal visa issued!
4/24/12: Moved to UK
6/24/14: Passed Life in the UK test
7/3/14: Submitted SET (M) in person via Premium Service
7/7/14: BRP received via courrier! I'

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
Congratulations!!! What a wonderful story!

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 12:15:42 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm still rather bitter about it and I keep posting snarky comments on articles about other people's hurricane weddings.  Sure hope that goes away soon. 

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »
Congratulations! Even if it wasn't the day you'd planned, you still ended up with a great days that's YOURS! Thanks for sharing the story.
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 01:45:24 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm still rather bitter about it and I keep posting snarky comments on articles about other people's hurricane weddings.  Sure hope that goes away soon. 

Bitter? You got to marry the man of your dreams! What is there to be bitter about?   ;D

• Liked: 4
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »
Bitter? You got to marry the man of your dreams! What is there to be bitter about?   ;D

Too right! Plus everyone pitched in and made sure you had a wedding despite a natural disaster!  It seems to me you have a lot of people who care about you very much.

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
Oh boy Sscarllet, I hope the bitterness goes away soon for your own sake, there was absolutely nothing you could do about the weather, all your loved ones, including your new husband went to spectacular lengths to give you the best wedding they could, even with a hurricane looming on the horizon- you got MARRIED! to the one you LOVE! It doesn't matter that it wasn't in a reception hall, or with perfect decorations or flowers or music, or any of that cookie cutter standard wedding "stuff"! You found out how great your family and friends and your new husband are when things get bad, you are a very lucky person with a wonderful new husband and have a wonderful new life ahead of you, with a great story about your wedding day! Appreciate all that was done for you instead of being so bitter, yeah it stinks that all your meticulous planning for your big day fell apart, but in the end your family and friends were still around you when you declared your love to your man. Now to be very blunt and I do mean this in the most helpful way, I really do, get over it!

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 02:27:36 PM »
Everyone else I know had the perfect wedding.  I'm allowed to be upset and bitter if I want.  Having the wedding of your dreams shouldn't be stolen from anyone.  Yes, its nice that everyone pulled together and I appreciate it.  But there will always be a feeling of loss as well. 

• Absolutely crazy. :)
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
Everyone else I know had the perfect wedding.  I'm allowed to be upset and bitter if I want.  Having the wedding of your dreams shouldn't be stolen from anyone.  Yes, its nice that everyone pulled together and I appreciate it.  But there will always be a feeling of loss as well. 

Congrats on your wedding!  :) I had the perfect wedding, absolutely beautiful...my marriage lasted two and half years.   ::)  This time around, I'm skipping all of that "stuff" and just eloping.  I'm sure it'll be more amazing and meaningful than my first one.  So yes, you're entitled to a beautiful wedding and there's nothing saying you still can't have one (renew your vows?).  But having been there, done that... it's the people that matter the most.  I realize that now. :)
"Once in awhile, in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairytale."
Met Online: 6 November 2010
Married <3: 29 September 2011
Overnighted docs: 18 October 2011
Visa issued!: 20 October 2011
Moved to the UK: 3 December 2011
ILR granted: 18 November 2013
UK Citizenship: 8 April 2015

• Adventures in England
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »
What an incredible story!  That's so wonderful that everyone pitched in to help make the wedding possible for you!  I hope you feel better about it in time that things didn't go the way you had hoped.
www.mylifeismediocre.wordpress.com
*ILR Granted!*

ILR Granted-23/02/2013

• Liked: 2
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »
Aw- I'm sorry you didnt get the day you worked so hard for.  If I remember correctly on some of your old posts you went through a lot to get the wedding you wanted, it's a bummer this got in the way.  My wedding last December was planned to be in Tahoe overlooking the lake with a sleigh ride and everything... Well, 3 days before it was to be, we got snowed out- there was no way up the mountain for a week. So my family did the same as yours, pulled a wedding out of their arses so I could have some remnate of the day I dreamed of. It was small, but I'll remember it always as the day my family supported me and my new husband and showed their incredible love to us in such a meaningful way.  Maybe in a few years we will renew our vows and do a big showy wedding, but I'm fat and happy so until then I won't worry too much about it.  Good luck in your new life together!
We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "What? We don't need a flag, this is our home, you bastards" "No flag, No Country, You can't have one! Those are the rules... that I just made up!...and I'm backing it up with this gun, that was lent to me from the National Rifle Association."

Sponsored Links