Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: "Married," Spouse Visa...now what?  (Read 2333 times)

• Liked: 0
"Married," Spouse Visa...now what?
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »
Hello all,

My fiance and I were legally married in June so that I could apply for a spousal visa, but we haven't told anyone like family or friends yet.  We are planning to have our proper wedding in the Church either next summer or the following winter.  We still don't know what country the real wedding will be in.

We've been holding off in changing our statuses on everything to "Married" until the church wedding happens, but I feel like we should be notfiying SOMEONE here of Richard's recent marriage.  We did everything legally in America with an American marriage license and a judge, so I think everything at home should be sorted until I file my taxes.  When I came to the UK I had an appointment for my NI Number and told them that I am married.  All of my GP paperwork, etc., has been filed over here as being married.

As far as Richard goes-- he hasn't told a soul about the "marriage" yet.  He doesn't think he should have to inform anyone until we have the church wedding, but I really think that's wrong.  lol.  Should we be taking our American wedding license somewhere to officially declare that we're married in the UK?  I know he'll have to file his taxes as married now, etc., but is that all, or will we have to also meet with a judge or something here?

Thanks for feedback-- I'm so confused and really was just too relieved when all of the meeting with officials, etc., was over!

xx Brittany

• Liked: 31
Re: "Married," Spouse Visa...now what?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »
So under what visa status did you come to the UK to get an NIN and register with the GP and stuff?
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »
You can't have another wedding. That would be illegal.

You can have a blessing ceremony in a church, which is what we did, but it sounds different from a wedding and you also can't sign the register.

People will know that it isn't a wedding.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:07:31 PM »
bookgrl: I was told by others who did it this route that the priest was able to make the wedding an actual, Catholic "wedding" as far as the ceremony goes.  I know that it would just be a convalidation ceremony but to the guests, it would look like a wedding.  I've ironed out these details already.  I'm just curious about what we legally need to do now that I'm in the UK.

DrSuperL99: I'm living in the UK now with a UK Spousal Visa, not a fiance visa.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
Yes, it's a convalidation, but there's nothing to do with the UK government, as far as I'm aware.  We were married in the US (not UK citizens, mind) and had a convalidation in Scotland.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:44 PM »
Do you sign a register in a Catholic church, or only CoE? It might only be CoE since they are the "official" church. 

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »
That's the kind of thing I'm curious about!  I know our marriage is legal and proper in the US, but is there anyone we need to notify here?  Any papers to sign?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »
At our convalidation, we did not sign anything, although there was a Catholic wedding certificate.  I really don't think there's anyone to notify in the UK.  You are already married, it was conducted legally in the US, and that's that!

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
Nope. You don't need to inform anyone.  :)

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Do you sign a register in a Catholic church, or only CoE? It might only be CoE since they are the "official" church. 

Well, people sign the register at registry office weddings and those are secular.

I believe Catholics sign the register as well, but this is done behind closed doors with the two witnesses at the end of the service.
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »
I know other people sign it, I just wasn't sure if other people sign it in the actual church. 

All the weddings I have been too (all four to be fair) have had the people sign the book in front of all the guests.  But if you are already married you don't sign. 

I wish we could have.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:55:13 PM »
That's the kind of thing I'm curious about!  I know our marriage is legal and proper in the US, but is there anyone we need to notify here?  Any papers to sign?

If it's legal and proper in the US, then it's legal and proper in the UK too - end of story (so you don't need to do anything in the UK) :).

• Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 10:38:33 AM »
If it's legal and proper in the US, then it's legal and proper in the UK too - end of story (so you don't need to do anything in the UK) :).

Exactly. Don't stress.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »

Getting your spousal visa to come over was when you informed the British government that you're married :)  You'll probably want to inform whomever would otherwise be your witnesses that it's not a legal wedding when you enter into the sacrament of marriage so they know they won't sign anything. 

You might want to stick to "legal" or not rather than "real" or not when describing multiple ceremonies as real can imply a value judgement and leads to confusion between people who understand "real" to mean "legally recognized by the government" and people who understand "real" to mean "the one with family and friends and a big party after".  Unsurprisingly, it comes up a lot on this board  :)

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 02:16:36 PM »
I totally haven't been on here in ages, so I didn't realize you were married!! Congratulations! :)

Sorry, I have no advice, since I have no idea about this yet. :P
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

Sponsored Links