Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Adopting a small dog - resources?  (Read 2260 times)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Adopting a small dog - resources?
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Hiya.

I am looking to adopt a small dog in the future (not quite right now, as I'm still getting settled, and DF would like a bit of time where we are footloose and fancy-free).

Anyway, we've been casually looking at some sites (RSPCA and Dog's Trust) and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of small dogs available.  Does anyone have any personal experience with any breed-specific rescues, specifically Cairn Terrier, Westie, Norfolk or Norwich Terrier, Maltese, Shih Tzu, Miniature Poodle or Bichon Frise?

I am so looking forward to getting a dog. I miss having one. I end up dog-stalking in the town center, asking people to pet their dogs and kiss them. LOL!

Thanks for any help/ideas.
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 0
Re: Adopting a small dog - resources?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:57:25 PM »
Most breeds will have a specific rescue if you google them. The other thing you may wish to try is fostering - i do it for a couple of rescues and it's very rewarding. The other good thing about it is you can usually opt to keep the dog if you wish so you could foster for a local rescue and just take small dogs. One might come up that you decide you want to keep, if not you've played a part in finding it a forever home - no lose situation !

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:14:48 PM »
I have pugs and when we were in the UK we were involved with the Pug Dog Welfare & Rescue Assoc.  We have a friend in the UK that is involved with the French Bulldog Welfare Trust.  I can tell you that both of these organizations have wait lists for people to adopt rescues.  I don't know about the specific breeds you mentioned, but it is highly likely to be a similar situation for those "more desirable" small breeds. 

It seems like the shelters are full of Staffordshore Bull Terriers but not much else.

You might try looking for a small, independent rescuer in your local area.  They probably wouldn't have a website and would most likely be found via word of mouth so you may want to ask in a local pet food store.  And you didn't mention Battersea (there are actually 3 locations) - you might try them.
http://www.battersea.org.uk/
Keep Calm And Carry On

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
Also keep an eye on Mayhew Animal Home's website.  They are much smaller than Battersea and the rest, but do have two small dogs at moment - an older yorkie and a 3 y/o Jack Russell cross.

http://www.mayhewanimalhome.org/dogs/index.php

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
Oooh, thanks everyone for these links and info. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, don't know how I missed the replies!
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
We have a staffy cross,  He is the most loyal loveable dog ever,  and he isn't too big, but maybe he is bigger than what you wanted.  Just thinking that, that is most likely what they will have in shelters and if treated properly they make wonderful pets.  He still comes under the category of small to medium dog lol x ;D

Love pads x

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab