Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London doesn't equal England!  (Read 9853 times)

• Liked: 388
Re: London doesn't equal England!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 10:56:53 PM »
"England? is that near New York?"

Maybe she was thinking of New England?   ;D

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 09:19:11 AM »
. Its like telling someone from Baltimore that they live in Philly or something similar.

LMAO!  So true!!  Thank you for the laugh :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 03:12:43 PM »
I've been here for four years and this still happens to me. A friend will say "Oh such and such happened in London, are you OK?" and I'd be like "Well such and such happened six hours away from where you are now, are you OK?"

This gets old, fast.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
Unfortunately for the rest of England, it is not London  ;)

Just be prepared to tell people all about LA when you are in the UK!

LLR Oct 2009, ILR Nov 2011, Citizen June 2013
DH's Greencard May 2013- back in the USA Aug 2013!

• 3 years and counting...
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 04:29:59 AM »
This anecdote isn't quite a London-equals-England thing... but it does show how thick some Americans can be!.....

I was working in a tutoring center and we have teaching assistants, generally who are in high school or early college, and generally are on the track to becoming educators themselves.  One of the teaching assistants and I stayed late one night and were chatting...  I found out she was a high school senior with a 3.8 GPA, taking lots of honors and college-prep courses.  I got onto the topic of my boyfriend being from England and such... and her reply was, "England?  What language do they speak there?"

I could have died....
Oct 17, 11 - Submitted online application
Oct 21, 11 - Biometrics
Oct 28, 11 - Mailed documents (no priority)
Oct 31, 11 - FedEx delivered
Nov 1, 11 - Email saying documents opened and organized
Nov 4, 11 - Email saying needs further processing
Nov 8, 11 - Email saying visa issued!!!
Feb 14, 2012 - FLR issued!
Feb, 2014 - ILR issued!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »
My geographically challenged SIL continues to say I'm moving to London. I finally got so peeved at her that she said she wants to get better and she will do 10 push ups everytime she says London instead of Nottingham. All be darned...she's doing the push ups!

And if I hear one more Robin Hood wisecrack ("Are you marrying the sheriff of Nottingham?") I'm going to go ballistic.
Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.  A. Lincoln

09/09: Met in San Diego
09/09-04/11: 9 trips, 1000 hours of Skype, a billion IMs
04/11-08/11: Successfully lived under the same roof in the UK
08/11: Engaged
02/11/12: Wedding in San Diego
03/12/12: Submitted online application
03/16/12: Biometrics appointment, documents sent
3/28/12: Spousal visa issued!
4/24/12: Moved to UK
6/24/14: Passed Life in the UK test
7/3/14: Submitted SET (M) in person via Premium Service
7/7/14: BRP received via courrier! I'

• Liked: 9
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »
This anecdote isn't quite a London-equals-England thing... but it does show how thick some Americans can be!.....

I was working in a tutoring center and we have teaching assistants, generally who are in high school or early college, and generally are on the track to becoming educators themselves.  One of the teaching assistants and I stayed late one night and were chatting...  I found out she was a high school senior with a 3.8 GPA, taking lots of honors and college-prep courses.  I got onto the topic of my boyfriend being from England and such... and her reply was, "England?  What language do they speak there?"

I could have died....

Good giggle! ;D Before hubby and I were married, I was in management at a Wendy's. The district manager was in one day, and we were talking because someone had mentioned to him I was marrying a man from England. He asked me 'Is there a language barrier between you?'. I was stunned. I said 'Ummm... they speak English over there'.  A couple weeks later when he was in, he came up to me and said 'Well, I guess your husband could always get a job as a translator when he moves here'. How to answer that one without sounding like a smarta**? I just said there wasn't much call for English to English translation, and thanked him anyway.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 03:45:10 AM »
Good giggle! ;D Before hubby and I were married, I was in management at a Wendy's. The district manager was in one day, and we were talking because someone had mentioned to him I was marrying a man from England. He asked me 'Is there a language barrier between you?'. I was stunned. I said 'Ummm... they speak English over there'.  A couple weeks later when he was in, he came up to me and said 'Well, I guess your husband could always get a job as a translator when he moves here'. How to answer that one without sounding like a smarta**? I just said there wasn't much call for English to English translation, and thanked him anyway.

Reply "yes, he could translate clueless-eze (or redneck-eze) to English" and see if he gets it.
Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.  A. Lincoln

09/09: Met in San Diego
09/09-04/11: 9 trips, 1000 hours of Skype, a billion IMs
04/11-08/11: Successfully lived under the same roof in the UK
08/11: Engaged
02/11/12: Wedding in San Diego
03/12/12: Submitted online application
03/16/12: Biometrics appointment, documents sent
3/28/12: Spousal visa issued!
4/24/12: Moved to UK
6/24/14: Passed Life in the UK test
7/3/14: Submitted SET (M) in person via Premium Service
7/7/14: BRP received via courrier! I'

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
And if I hear one more Robin Hood wisecrack ("Are you marrying the sheriff of Nottingham?") I'm going to go ballistic.
Oh god.  ::)

(I'd say only if he looks like Alan Rickman, otherwise, no dice.)

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »
LOL! English to English translation.... hee hee!

Reminds of me of my first big job after College...was giving my details and told them where I was born (Puerto Rico) and after a bit he asked me for my green card.  I was really perplexed for a while and finally said "...um, Puerto Ricans are American Citizens..." But I digress...

Hubby gets a kick every time my family or friends say they love his accent.  He replies "I don't have an accent.  I speak the Queen's English.  You are the one with the accent."

Which makes my family laugh all the more. :)

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
My dad keeps calling the union jack the "London flag".

Most of my family keeps referring to my boyfriend's town as London. He lives in Banbury. We have explained to them all he lives an hour from London. Some of them understand it and remember for a while but then they just go back to asking "How is London?"

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 02:04:49 AM »
My geographically challenged SIL continues to say I'm moving to London. I finally got so peeved at her that she said she wants to get better and she will do 10 push ups everytime she says London instead of Nottingham. All be darned...she's doing the push ups!

Haha I've been getting that a lot too! EVERYTIME I correct people they keep saying London MAJOR sigh! :-\\\\
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:21 AM »

Haha I've been getting that a lot too! EVERYTIME I correct people they keep saying London MAJOR sigh! :-\\\\

Maybe they do it on purpose? Like "Hey! Here comes LittleMissSarcasm - lets all pretend we think she lives in London! Remember the fun we had last time? She went ape!"

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 01:57:35 AM »
Maybe they do it on purpose? Like "Hey! Here comes LittleMissSarcasm - lets all pretend we think she lives in London! Remember the fun we had last time? She went ape!"

Haha possibly ;) or maybe it's the fact some people are geographically challenged LOL ;D
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 08:38:31 AM »
It's just that I don't think I am the only person who really hates being corrected, and whenever someone does it to me, I make a mental note to, if possible, repeat the thing that they corrected me over, whenever I see them again in future. When I do this, it's really funny to watch their face. I find it very amusing.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab