Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London doesn't equal England!  (Read 9852 times)

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
Re: London doesn't equal England!
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 08:21:21 PM »
It's just that I don't think I am the only person who really hates being corrected, and whenever someone does it to me, I make a mental note to, if possible, repeat the thing that they corrected me over, whenever I see them again in future. When I do this, it's really funny to watch their face. I find it very amusing.

Well that's fine Tremula, that's your opinion. I just don't like it when the people in my life ask me about living/moving to a place I'm not moving to. Especially when I tell them where I'm moving to and they later ask me about the place that I'm not moving to. I highly doubt they're doing it to get a rise out of me, I believe it's more or less they weren't listening the first 5 times or they're truly geographically challenged! HAHA ;D
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 07:35:06 AM »
I believe it's more or less they weren't listening the first 5 times or they're truly geographically challenged! HAHA ;D
I think a lot of people really are geographically challenged.  If they've never been out of the US it all sort of blends together for them.  A friend of mine kept wishing me a good trip to every place within the British Isles and Republic of Ireland except for the actual place I was going to (which I told her repeatedly).  I thought it was a bit funny.  "Have a great trip to Wales!"  "Have a great trip to Ireland!"  "Have a great trip to Scotland!"  (It was Cornwall I was going to.)
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »
I sometimes get - "What part of England is Scotland in?"  

Oh and then you try and explain Northern Ireland and faces glaze over in complete confusion!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 09:10:03 AM »
This is always a good video to have people watch:

The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained

Their eyes might still glaze, but there's a chance that they will walk away enlightened.  Of course, those with no sense of how completely muddled some aspects of America are will complain about why you'd want to live somewhere so complicated. ;)

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 12:09:47 PM »
I tend to be good about remembering the minutia of people's lives.  Not everyone is.

I really don't think that just because someone doesn't remember where I am going on holiday or where I currently live means that they don't listen to me.  People have their own stuff to worry about. 

For instance my friend lives in Seattle, but I really thought it was Portland for about two years  Meh, they are both NW hippy cities. 

Also, I currently can't remember my friend's fifth child's name and all my endless hinting does not seem to be producing the desired effect.  But that doesn't mean I don't care about said baby, who I can at least remember is a boy.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »
I have this pet peeve myself.

I've gotten this a lot when I've told people I'm going to visit England again. Or, "Where is your boyfriend from? London right?" UGH, no! I also got the reverse kind of ignorance as well when I was there. I'm from New York. Not NYC. Upstate New York. I'm closer to Canada then the freaking city. Basically everyone I told where I was from "Oh my god, it's gotta be well nice in New York City!"

Um, I'm not from NYC.. been there once when I was 16 and that's it, there is a state as well you know not just a city. (Which some of them did not know :-\\\\)

Just minor annoyances I have when people assume. XD

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »
I have this pet peeve myself.

I've gotten this a lot when I've told people I'm going to visit England again. Or, "Where is your boyfriend from? London right?" UGH, no! I also got the reverse kind of ignorance as well when I was there. I'm from New York. Not NYC. Upstate New York. I'm closer to Canada then the freaking city. Basically everyone I told where I was from "Oh my god, it's gotta be well nice in New York City!"

Um, I'm not from NYC.. been there once when I was 16 and that's it, there is a state as well you know not just a city. (Which some of them did not know :-\\\\)

Just minor annoyances I have when people assume. XD

I get that. Im from LI, not NYC.
I tell people where Im from and comparing it to NYC is like saying someone from Essex is from London. Shuts most people up right away

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 11:39:37 PM »
Agreed. I'll have to remember that one next time someone says how lush being from New York City must be. It'd be nice if people just asked instead of assuming I'm from NYC. Or that the bf is from London.  ::) Would save people a bit of aggravation and annoyance.

• Vegetarians age well!
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2011, 12:44:51 AM »
I LOVE what Sheriam wrote/does--what a brilliant yet simple and comical way to counteract the confusion! 
The town I reside in is the opposite to London yet being 3 hours away, I get the same thing as everyone else who has posted here.  To make it worse, whenever my American friends come to visit, they only come to London and always make me meet up with them there.  They don't seem to want to experience the quaint historical villages and towns outside of Londonf and therefore still believe that London equals England.  If they stayed with me, they could have an entirely different experience or a combination of both (after all, London is a terrific place to visit). 
On the same hand, my British colleagues always ask me if I'll be visiting particular family members while in the US (i.e. "will you be visiting your sister in DC while you're visiting your friends in TX?").  They also ask if I know their friend in a particular state after asking where I am from (i.e. "I'm from TX"  "Oh, do you know my friend X?  He lives in CA.).  Of course, this is actually possible as I recently discovered when I went to Sydney, Australia, for a week and visited a friend who ended up knowing a couple of my work colleagues in England! 
Smile and the world will smile with you.
Laugh and the world will think you're a goofball.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »
Or because we fly out from Manchester, DW's dad is always asking me about Manchester United as though I most support them then.

God, since I live in Manchester I always get that. Man U is the only Premier League team most Americans have ever heard of. I tell them that I am a Manchester City fan (Premier League champs 2012!) and they give me an awkward silence...
"It takes a leap of faith to get things going. In your heart, baby, you must trust..."

• Liked: 3
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 04:35:41 PM »
God, since I live in Manchester I always get that. Man U is the only Premier League team most Americans have ever heard of. I tell them that I am a Manchester City fan (Premier League champs 2012!) and they give me an awkward silence...

I like Man Utd, prob my fave Premier League team, but I support and have season tickets for Barnsley.
DW was asked at work once who I supported and she told them Man Utd, when she said this I went mad and said "why did you say that?" and she said, "well, they are the team you like in the Premier League, Barnsley are Championship so he might not know them", I explained that he would and he would find it perfectly reasonable! What made it worse was this guy was a Leeds fan!
She is finally grasping that Barnsley aren't just some convenient, second choice because I live there so it's just easier to get to games! I'm the first to admit that had I been brought up elsewhere I'd have supported someone else.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »
I like Man Utd, prob my fave Premier League team, but I support and have season tickets for Barnsley.
DW was asked at work once who I supported and she told them Man Utd, when she said this I went mad and said "why did you say that?" and she said, "well, they are the team you like in the Premier League, Barnsley are Championship so he might not know them", I explained that he would and he would find it perfectly reasonable! What made it worse was this guy was a Leeds fan!
She is finally grasping that Barnsley aren't just some convenient, second choice because I live there so it's just easier to get to games! I'm the first to admit that had I been brought up elsewhere I'd have supported someone else.

For some reason, this made me  [smiley=smitten.gif] for Yorkshire. Thank you!  :D

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »
Lol, yep!  Moving to Newcastle.  People dont know anything about it but "is that beer from there"?   ;D
Met DH Feb 2004 | Engaged Dec 2004 | Married Oct 2005 | Spouse Visa/ILE March 2012 | Arrived UK Jul 2012

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »
I grew up in Glasgow...being in America for a short time I gave up saying I was from Scotland and getting the "where's that?" response (as well as the do they really speak english there questions), so I started saying I was from England. Getting back to the UK I found myself still giving this answer which got some very funny looks from people who were from Scotland themselves!

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »
Lol mumof4!
Met DH Feb 2004 | Engaged Dec 2004 | Married Oct 2005 | Spouse Visa/ILE March 2012 | Arrived UK Jul 2012

Sponsored Links