Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Q: Leapfrog Leappad  (Read 2448 times)

Q: Leapfrog Leappad
« on: October 06, 2011, 08:39:49 AM »
Probably a daft question, but does anyone know if the new Leapfrog Leappads are regionalised?  ie. If I bought the system in the states, would games bought in the UK work on it?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Q: Leapfrog Leappad
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
I haven't actually got a LeapPad but not sure if this helps:

LeapPad is an electronic interactive children's book platform for children aged 4–8 produced by LeapFrog Enterprises from 1999 to 2008. Various models of the toy were released up until 2008 when the Tag reading system superseded it.

Region locking status

The LeapPad apparently makes no effort to verify the region of the cartridge and book placed in the unit- a North American Read and Write LeapPad has been tested on a British version of the Tad Goes Shopping title and the device functioned correctly with the British cartridge and book. This does not guarantee that the LeapPad will function correctly for all the titles, however, and in some cases, the software on the cartridge may attempt to load a sound sample that is stored on the LeapPad itself, resulting in problems ranging from missing sounds to abnormal behavior (i.e. mismatched speech samples and sudden changes in speech accent). In fact, LeapPad titles that were released during the launch of the system in 1999 may not be compatible on newer LeapPads from the same region as well (tested with a first-generation copy of Leap's Friends From A to Z with a Read and Write LeapPad, which exhibited missing sound samples).

Spin-offs incompatible with the mainstream series

The LeapPad's popularity helped spawn other LeapPad branded devices that are incompatible with the mainstream LeapPad series of players. These devices are meant for younger audiences who are not ready for the mainstream LeapPad's titles.

My First LeapPad - Targeted for Pre-schoolers to Kindergarten-going children, the design of the LeapPad is different from a regular LeapPad in that the books are flipped upwards. The unit was later redesigned to be shaped like a school bus. A British voices version is also available in the UK.
    LittleTouch LeapPad - Targeted at infants to toddlers, the unit operates significantly different from a regular LeapPad in that it does not require a stylus to operate. The unit also features a soft pad underneath to allow for the device to sit comfortably on the parents' or toddler's lap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeapPad

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
Thank you, Tremula!

I forgot there were other versions of the Leappad.  ( :-\\\\ D'oh!)  I'm more interested in the Explorer, which is more like an ipad for kids (and a fraction of the cost).  I'm thinking it would be the same as previous versions (and essentially region free), as it says you can use the games from other platforms, but just wanted to be sure before buying it and then finding out after.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
Thank you, Tremula!

I forgot there were other versions of the Leappad.  ( :-\\\\ D'oh!)  I'm more interested in the Explorer, which is more like an ipad for kids (and a fraction of the cost).  I'm thinking it would be the same as previous versions (and essentially region free), as it says you can use the games from other platforms, but just wanted to be sure before buying it and then finding out after.

I was thinking of getting one of these for Noah, he will be 6 in January. I thought he might enjoy downloading the crappy photos that he takes on my camera. Does it do that? Download photos?

Sponsored Links