Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: does your cat likes catnip?  (Read 1856 times)

• Liked: 5
does your cat likes catnip?
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:34:13 AM »
i bought my cat this scratcher that uses catnip and he seems to uninterested in it... my mom is finally comfy enough for me to house train my cat.... and now its not going well with anything i bring in the house that has catnip
live, love, laugh

Jan 2013 - Tier 4  Student Visa
Mar 2015 - Met Him
Dec 2015 - Engaged
April 8 2016- Wedding
April 11 2016- FLR (M) -Sheffield

Re: does your cat likes catnip?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 07:08:52 AM »
A friends mom was making these little catnip cushions to sell for charity. LIttle brightly coloured pillows stuffed with catnip. We bought two for our cats to see what happened. The older female sniffed at hers once and then ignored it but the other guy went really weird. He lay down on the floor and held it with his front paws and chewed on it and sucked it until it was completely soaked with drool (yuk). He just would not stop and it was not very nice really. He seemed to have been taken over by it and turned into a kind of junkie. So we put them in the trash.

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:22:57 AM »
A friends mom was making these little catnip cushions to sell for charity. LIttle brightly coloured pillows stuffed with catnip. We bought two for our cats to see what happened. The older female sniffed at hers once and then ignored it but the other guy went really weird. He lay down on the floor and held it with his front paws and chewed on it and sucked it until it was completely soaked with drool (yuk). He just would not stop and it was not very nice really. He seemed to have been taken over by it and turned into a kind of junkie. So we put them in the trash.

Hehe!  Your catnip junkie cat was a lot like my now dearly departed Poochie.  I got her a cushion stuffed with catnip as well, but it was in the shape of a very fat cigar.  She also got it covered in drool but also would put it between her back legs and tried to 'disembowel' it.  She loved that thing.  Eventually the smell of the catnip wears off, but she still liked to play with it at that point.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 07:24:32 AM »
I think it does depend on the cat. My cat loved catnip, but only when it was loose. If we bought pre-made catnip toys, she wasn't interested. She wasn't a very playful cat to begin with, but once we bought some loose catnip and sprinkled a bit on the floor. She would roll around in it for a few minutes and then fall asleep! I think it was a bit more potent that way, and it was great for pacifying her enough to get her into her crate to go to the vet.  :)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »
Ours both did when they were younger -- up until age 13 or so.  Now, at age 15, neither gets too excited, but every once in a whole, I'll hear a funny noise and investigate and discover one or the other has dragged out some catnip toys.  When they were spry, they'd go nuts.  We had cat mats with cat nip in the filling and they loved them!  We put them in their carriers for the plane to the UK -- not with fresh nip, but they were covered in drool and fur and we figured that it helped make the kennel a little more familiar!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
Maxwell loves nip in most instances. They do suddenly develop an indifference from overdosing. So if he plays with a catnip mouse for a while he'll suddenly lose interest and walk away.
M. shows absolutely no interest at all in the fancy scratching pad (for dulling his claws) even if it is saturated in nip. He does sometimes use one of those carpet covered posts (which I found at the dump!) But mostly he uses the furniture and woodwork  >:(
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
M. shows absolutely no interest at all in the fancy scratching pad (for dulling his claws) even if it is saturated in nip. He does sometimes use one of those carpet covered posts (which I found at the dump!) But mostly he uses the furniture and woodwork  >:(

Maxwell sounds an awful lot like Willie, unfortunately. We've never been able to keep him from scratching the sofas no matter how many enticing catnip-laced pads and posts we've bought.

But he does love his catnip toys! Even at the ripe old age of 13, he turns into a complete kitten when you give him a catnip mouse!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »
this was the loose kind....i tried showing him how to use the scratcher..... i tried placing his paws on it... all he would do was sniff and walk away. lol
live, love, laugh

Jan 2013 - Tier 4  Student Visa
Mar 2015 - Met Him
Dec 2015 - Engaged
April 8 2016- Wedding
April 11 2016- FLR (M) -Sheffield

• Liked: 12
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
There's no accounting for cat behaviour!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

Sponsored Links