Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A sewing machine question  (Read 8512 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: A sewing machine question
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
Just saw a blog post about this very topic this afternoon so I thought I'd pass it on...

http://blog.megannielsen.com/2011/10/what-beginner-sewing-machine-would-you-recommend/

I don't have any suggestions, myself. The only sewing I've done has been with a lot of help on my grandmother's vintage and VERY vintage Singer sewing machines.

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 11:06:42 PM »
Yeah Brother are usually alright. You may want to plug that specific model in at the machine reviews section of patternreviw.com before you buy if you're concerned... (sorry I'd look for you but I'm on my iPhone atm)
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
oh you can totally cheat and not have to use buttons. I used to make cushion covers and did the folding kind in the back, kind of like a duvet.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 08:15:27 AM »
oh you can totally cheat and not have to use buttons. I used to make cushion covers and did the folding kind in the back, kind of like a duvet.

Yes, but I prefer the way buttons look! It's all about the look!  ;D

Yeah Brother are usually alright. You may want to plug that specific model in at the machine reviews section of patternreviw.com before you buy if you're concerned... (sorry I'd look for you but I'm on my iPhone atm)

Thank you! I'll do that.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 08:43:47 AM »
My overall feeling is that it's a great beginner machine because it's lightweight (you'll likely be carting it to and from the kitchen table!), cute, and fun, it'll actually encourage you to sew. There are so many frustrations that beginning sewers face anyway, why make your machine one of them?  

I'm sold!!!  ;D  I might put the sewing machine on my Christmas wishlist.

My grandma had the most awesome, heavy, seriously old/vintage Singer sewing machine (from at least 1950 or earlier!) that had been fitted into a custom-built sewing cabinet/table in dark natural wood - with all kinds of drawers & cubbyholes for organising your notions.  I was so sad when the time came - I had no way of transporting the whole thing (with the cabinet it was mahooosive!) & nowhere to put it...it sold at auction along with the rest of her stuff for a song.  :\\\'(  I spent so much of my childhood at her side when she was sewing on that - often clothes for me as I was growing up.  :)

If I do end up getting a machine, I will probably PM you for the sewing machine driver's test - it's been a long, long time since I used a sewing machine.  It would be so nice to have one - even just to alter/hem trousers, jeans, etc.  Plus I keep getting the free sewing pattern each month with my Prima magazine subscription!

chary, much like some of the knitting shops about here & there, I believe I have also seen sewing shops around where you can go for a few lessons & such.  Maybe worth looking into if there's anything like that around you?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:48:11 AM by Mrs Robinson »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Snaps
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 09:04:43 AM »
My grandma had the most awesome, heavy, seriously old/vintage Singer sewing machine (from at least 1950 or earlier!) that had been fitted into a custom-built sewing cabinet/table in dark natural wood - with all kinds of drawers & cubbyholes for organising your notions.  I was so sad when the time came - I had no way of transporting the whole thing (with the cabinet it was mahooosive!) & nowhere to put it...it sold at auction along with the rest of her stuff for a song.  :\\\'(  I spent so much of my childhood at her side when she was sewing on that - often clothes for me as I was growing up.  :)

My mother had one like that! I know she bought it in the '60s, but it was second-hand and was about 25 years old then! I don't even know what became of it, but I think she unloaded it at some point during my adolescence. Shame. However, as you said, those things are massive and I'm not sure where I'd keep one like that at the moment. Still, it was gorgeous!

chary, much like some of the knitting shops about here & there, I believe I have also seen sewing shops around where you can go for a few lessons & such.  Maybe worth looking into if there's anything like that around you?

I have a friend who's going to give me lessons!

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 11:50:15 AM »
I know about the "old vintage" sewing machines.  My mother has the sewing machine that her mother used.  It is a very heavy Pfaff, in a cabinet.  Grandma made me lots of baby clothes on that machine and my own mom made all us kids clothes on it.  Grandma passed away when I was 4 months old in 1952, at the age of 45, and mom got the machine......she told me it was mine and I could take it as she bought another one, same brand just a bit newer.  Grandma's still works....anyway when I called my mom to tell her my son would come and get the machine so I could arrange to have it sent over here she told me I could no longer have it....I was heartbroken.....so my DH bought me the one I have now....I did have a sewing machine in the states that I used to make quilt tops and such...it was a White brand, but my son asked me for it so he can sew things, which he still does!!!  I am so proud of him....he is also going to school for Criminal Justice.......sorry I got carried away again....anyway like I said I hope you find the machine that is right for you....

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »
I have a Brother XR-6600 and love it. 

This Janome looks like a good starter machine http://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/JanomeSMD500_info.htm

I love machines that have the automatic buttonhole feature.  Another thing I always look for is ease in threading it.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »
I am completely clueless about sewing, though I would like to learn. I have nothing to add, but I am wondering if someone could enlighten me as to how a sewing machine makes a buttonhole!  :)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 08:19:11 PM »
I love hearing how everyone's grandmothers had/has such wonderful sewing machines. Mine does, too! She has at least 8 in her house (she takes sewing to an extreme level), some of which are completely computerised. But my favourite is an incredibly antique one where you actually have to use foot power to get the needle moving:

They just don't make them like they used to.  :-\\\\

I bought a cheap-ish Bush machine from Argos a few months ago. It's not bad and I got it for a really good price, but I can't seem to find it anywhere to link to it now.
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »
My grandma was a natural seamstress - she made it seem just effortless.

My poor mom (who for whatever reasons - often thought she was in a competition for domestic virtues with my grandma--her mom, a competition that my mom would lose every time) was not.  Mom had a modern sewing machine (in the 1970s) that I think my grandma bought for her.  I don't know if it was the machine being wonky or operator error, probably a bit of both...but she had the worst trouble with the thread getting all knotted up & in an utter mess when she was trying to sew with her machine.  Next thing I'd know - I'd hear a string of profanities, things being thrown around the room, and whatever garment she was working on would be ripped out from under the presser foot & it would go flying across the room too.  Then the lot would be packed away for weeks until she would attempt another go at it.  I still don't understand why she didn't just say - screw it, I'm not doing this anymore.

Of course, whatever Mom ended up making - you had to say it was beautiful & brilliant etc (even though it often wasn't) or she would be so hurt otherwise.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »
I am an appalling sewer. But Elias Howe, who had the first US patent for a sewing machine with a lockstick design was born and raised in my hometown.  And The Beatles dedicated their movie Help! to him.   :P ;)
Also, his brother William Howe patened the Howe Truss and which those of us engineers learned all about during Engineering Mechanics and Statics class.

Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah, my mom is a fantastic sewer of costumes! She made us all kinds of halloween/play/musical/theatre/role playing costumes - anything from Superwoman to dogs to princesses to Titianic dresses to midevil wenches to Beauty and the Beast costumes to a fish costume to Mr and Mrs Potato head to Marching band uniforms...  She still loves to make costumes for my older sister's high school students plays and musicals and for all the grandkids.  She loves to make costumes more than anything because she gets to be completely creative and more importantly, the stitches don't need to resemble anything close to perfect!   :P
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
My mother could sew but had poor time management skills.  We had a mending basket.. not a wee one... a great big American-sized laundry basket that could easily hold two loads of laundry.  It sat in a corner of her bedroom full of clothes that needed tiny amounts of work done to them... clothes that we had long outgrown many years ago.  Every five years or so, she would give in and throw the un-mended clothes away.

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
Well, enquiring minds want to know...
Have you decided? Which are you going for?!!?

• Snaps
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »
Well, enquiring minds want to know...
Have you decided? Which are you going for?!!?

I'm hoping someone near and dear to me will have a look at my Amazon wish list before Christmas! But, if not, I'll buy it for myself in the new year. The one I've put on my wish list is an SMD former display model that's not overly pricey but still has lots of good features.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab