Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A sewing machine question  (Read 8669 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: A sewing machine question
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »
I think you will be satisfied with good features. It is likely to motivate you to want to do more. Good luck!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »
Sorry to revive a dead thread,  Just remembered this topic from a while back, and figured everyone who's already commented here would be the best people to ask--

I've been wanting to get a sewing machine, and was thinking one of those mini machines at John Lewis would suffice.  However, does anybody have experience with the Tesco Ej09 machine?  Between the low price and this review, it looks like this could be a bit more useful all around than one of the mini's.  That, and by cashing in £16 of clubcard points (which double), I could get it for quite a steal!

Thoughts?

Edited to add:  I currently intend to do basic things-- make pillow cases, hem some curtains, mend clothes when necessary, and make the odd arts&craft gift items, maybe a quilt....
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:08:21 PM by PickledSakura »
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »
I am glad you revived this thread! I am looking for a sewing machine too, I have a Janome DC3050 back in the US that I am very happy with  :D and miss very much  :( I got that one used from a sewing machine shop at a pretty good price with 3 lessons thrown in too, which came in handy as I hadn't really sewn anything on a machine since high school!

PickledSakura, that Tesco machine looks alright, I looked at it very quickly and will put it on my "Search For a New Sewing Machine List" to look at again :)

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
If you are going to be sewing just the basics I would definitely say spend as little as possible. I have a machine that cost a fair bit that doesn't get used often, and I would have been just as happy with a basic model. I thought that I would be encouraged to see more if there were more machine features but I stick to knitting with sewing being a poor second.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »
If you are going to be sewing just the basics I would definitely say spend as little as possible.

Thanks Fruitgum, I figured the same-- I spent all my clubcard points and £13, and will be picking it up from my local Tesco metro tomorrow.  Woohoo!  Already started planning what christmas decorations I'm going to make with it too :)
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 11:41:58 PM »
I agree that it's best to stick with a basic machine, if nothing elaborate is needed.  I'm in the States, and bought myself a new Singer earlier this year.  It's replacing my 1978 electronic Singer that I don't think I want repaired again.  It's amazing how inexpensive the technology has become!  I paid $478 (on sale from $529) for my 1978 Singer, at a Singer store.  I paid $130 (on sale from $150) at Target for my new one, and it offers even more stitching options.  I was sold on the 1-step buttonhole.  My 1978 machine has a 2-step, and my late mother's old Necchi had a 5-step buttonhole. 

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
If you are going to be sewing just the basics I would definitely say spend as little as possible. I have a machine that cost a fair bit that doesn't get used often, and I would have been just as happy with a basic model. I thought that I would be encouraged to see more if there were more machine features but I stick to knitting with sewing being a poor second.

I agree  :) My Janome back in the US has a ton of stiches that I will never, ever use, but it has features that I love and definitely want on whatever UK machine I get, such as the automatic threader, drop in bobbin and button holes, oh and has to handle the odd heavy duty job!
I could get the same Janome DC3050 here, but it would cost well over 300 pounds  :o, errr, no, not spending that much! I will keep an eye out to see if I can find a used version and also continue to search to see I can find a different machine that has all the features I want for a not so scary price.

Thanks Fruitgum, I figured the same-- I spent all my clubcard points and £13, and will be picking it up from my local Tesco metro tomorrow.  Woohoo!  Already started planning what christmas decorations I'm going to make with it too :)

Yay! Good luck with your new sewing machine PS, you must give a review once you start using it!  :D

• Liked: 585
Re: Re: A sewing machine question
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 11:15:08 AM »
I  got a wee £30 Hyundai machine for Christmas last year,  but as yet have been too scared to touch it!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab