Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: BBC iPlayer in the US?  (Read 2415 times)

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
BBC iPlayer in the US?
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:48:22 PM »
I am going to be back in the US for 2 months and I'll be darned if I miss the last couple of episodes of Merlin!  :)

I've used Hot Spot Shield to varying degrees of success here, to watch Hulu, though that was about 2 years ago (I don't really miss anything that doesn't eventually show here). Does it work in the US the same way it works here, or is it only for watching stuff on American websites?

I have BF recording Merlin, so if worse comes to worst, I can just wait until February when I come back, but I just love BBC programming and BBC America is kind of rubbish.  :P

Thanks!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 3595
Re: BBC iPlayer in the US?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:51:51 PM »
Does it work in the US the same way it works here, or is it only for watching stuff on American websites?

Hotspot Shield only works for accessing US websites in the UK, but it has a counterpart called Expat Shield which allows you to access BBC iplayer and other UK sites in the US. I used it to watch Wimbledon on the BBC website when I was in the US in the summer.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »
I use a VPN program calle tunnelbear.  Here is the website      http://www.tunnelbear.com/
For me its worth the $4 a month to be able to watch us shows here in the uk. and uk stuff while in the us Its very easy to use. Its always been reliable for me.
Take Care

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:52:04 PM »
Hotspot Shield only works for accessing US websites in the UK, but it has a counterpart called Expat Shield which allows you to access BBC iplayer and other UK sites in the US. I used it to watch Wimbledon on the BBC website when I was in the US in the summer.

OMG! Expat Sheild is amazing!!! Wish I had know about it earlier in my US visit. Works better than hotspot sheild. Thanks so much for posting that info! :D
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 31
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »
Slight hijack, but I've never gotten Hotspot shield to work for any of the websites I've tried using it on (mainly Comedy Central and Hulu). Are there any tricks or a better free option?
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »
Thanks guys! This is all great. I am pleased that I won't have to miss the good stuff!  :)

Slight hijack, but I've never gotten Hotspot shield to work for any of the websites I've tried using it on (mainly Comedy Central and Hulu). Are there any tricks or a better free option?

I don't know if this helps you at all, but I found it worked better if I had the computer connected to the modem via an ethernet cable rather than wirelessly. But eventually it just stopped working for me entirely, or I would have to sit there for ages waiting for the programme to load because it slowed down my connection so much.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:55:59 PM »
Modify Headers in Firefox works with CC and Tunnel Bear works with Hulu. If trying to use tunnel bear, make sure MH has been turned off as your connection gets all confused.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:37:52 AM »
We use ExpatShield - by the same people that do the HotSpot Shield...works just dandy for BBC & ITV, hit & miss w/C4 and I've only had it work once with C5.

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »
Ugh, there isn't a Mac version for ExpatShield, I don't think.  :-\\\\ Any other (free) suggestions?

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 08:23:35 AM »
Ugh, there isn't a Mac version for ExpatShield, I don't think.  :-\\\\ Any other (free) suggestions?
TunnelBear will give you 1.5 gigs free (500mb + tweet them and they'll add another 1 gig)

Theres no ads/banners and if you need more, $5 a month or $50 for the year.

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:38:50 AM »
Thanks! I just tried it out and it works really well, so I just went ahead and did the $5. I figured that for the 2 months I'm away, it will be worth it.  :)

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
I am going to be back in the US for 2 months and I'll be darned if I miss the last couple of episodes of Merlin!  :)

I've used Hot Spot Shield to varying degrees of success here, to watch Hulu, though that was about 2 years ago (I don't really miss anything that doesn't eventually show here). Does it work in the US the same way it works here, or is it only for watching stuff on American websites?

I have BF recording Merlin, so if worse comes to worst, I can just wait until February when I come back, but I just love BBC programming and BBC America is kind of rubbish.  :P

Thanks!

I love Merlin too. WE are a year behind on the series.  It starts again on Jan 6th on SYFY.  I guess I'll catch up when I move to the UK

Sponsored Links