Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marrying in Massachusetts, but have a question...  (Read 2012 times)

• Liked: 1
Marrying in Massachusetts, but have a question...
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
Does anyone know if you can marry in Massachusetts if the bride is a resident and the groom isn't an American citizen? I know that Massachusetts requires a 3 day waiting period to obtain a license and that neither party had to be a resident of Massachusetts, but I was wondering if that only applied to citizens of the United States?

I plan to make some official inquiries about this next week, but I figured someone here might know the answer.

Thanks either way!  :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:07:55 PM by PlainPearl »

• Liked: 3
Re: Marrying in Massachusetts, but have a question...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »
Yes. My US citizen friend married her Irish husband in Boston.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
Thanks, CharmCityGirl! By any chance, do you know if the groom had to be in the US a certain number of days before applying for the license?

• Liked: 387
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
I used to be a MA resident and I married my UKC DH in MA.

Other than the 3 day waiting period, there weren't any special requirements.  Just the waiting period, and we had to have separate evidences of identity and age.  I think we both used passport and birth certificate.

(I wouldn't think it would differ too much between towns in the same state, but my disclaimer is to always double check exactly in the town you'll be getting married... just in case)

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:19:02 PM »
Thanks!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 12:25:13 AM »
Also, if either of you have been divorced you might need to show proof that it's complete.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 01:28:46 AM »
Also, if either of you have been divorced you might need to show proof that it's complete.

Thanks for the information. Fortunately, neither of us has been divorced...yet.  ;D

• Liked: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 03:19:23 AM »
Don't forget the blood tests.  Hubby wasn't a legal US resident when we married and we still both had to get them done.  Unless that's changed...it's been almost 8 years.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:31:00 AM by kbeaumont »

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 05:42:05 AM »
From what I've read, they stopped doing blood tests in 2008, but I'll be sure to ask about it.  :)

• Liked: 387
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
Don't forget the blood tests.  Hubby wasn't a legal US resident when we married and we still both had to get them done.  Unless that's changed...it's been almost 8 years.   ;)

DH and I got married in 2010 and we didn't have to have any blood tests.  We were told they were no longer required.  I would think this is a statewide rule, but again, double check specifically in the town where you'll be getting married just in case.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
Thanks for your help!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 02:07:29 AM »
From what I've read, they stopped doing blood tests in 2008, but I'll be sure to ask about it.  :)

That's lucky.  It wasn't a hassle, but just "another thing to do before the wedding" pains.  Couldn't hurt to double check with the city/town you're getting married in, though.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 03:04:48 PM »
Always call the county clerk to double check! I am american and my hubby is Scottish, and we talked directly to the county clerk on the phone first to get all the details. Very helpful! Also, after you are married you will probably have to go back to the county clerks office to get the official certificate with the seal. Get multiple, official sealed COPIES then and there, bc it's much cheaper to do it within the first weeks, and you will need them for future visas or documents in the uk, or the USA if u are staying there. You'll be thankful later, trust me!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »
Definitely call the town hall first before going down there to do the deed.  And like papaya said, get multiple copies.  Get at least 20.  I'm serious.  You'll need a copy for everything. 

And just to chime in, when I got married I was a US citizen/MA resident marrying a UK citizen.  He'd only been in the country a few weeks...we had to get married within three months of him arriving for the fiance visa. 

You need a bunch of stuff, like your birth certificates and parents middle names and all that.  Get a copy of the form so you know what, talk it over with the clerk, then gather your documents.  Good luck!  and congrats!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab