Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gifting a Kindle book to someone in Amazon UK?  (Read 5360 times)

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
Gifting a Kindle book to someone in Amazon UK?
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »
This should be easy, but in practice, I'm going round in circles.

I want to buy my husband the new Neal Stephenson kindle book for Christmas. The Amazon US store makes it sound easy, but I don't see anything equivalent for the UK store, and this page seems to only mention gifting a kindle reader, or purchasing kindle gift certificates.

Is it possible to gift a kindle book to someone else through the UK Amazon? My brain says that surely this must be possible, as it'd be really dumb in the leadup to Christmas to not be able to do this, right?
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

Re: Gifting a Kindle book to someone in Amazon UK?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »
This should be easy, but in practice, I'm going round in circles.

I want to buy my husband the new Neal Stephenson kindle book for Christmas. The Amazon US store makes it sound easy, but I don't see anything equivalent for the UK store, and this page seems to only mention gifting a kindle reader, or purchasing kindle gift certificates.

Is it possible to gift a kindle book to someone else through the UK Amazon? My brain says that surely this must be possible, as it'd be really dumb in the leadup to Christmas to not be able to do this, right?

My in laws tried to do it on my birthday and couldn't seem to manage it on the UK store, there's so many more features in the US for kindle then in the UK and gift giving is just one of them, so they ended up gifting to me via the US store and the books were added on my US kindle account.

You could purchase amazon gift vouchers, but they're not as personal. Do you know his amazon account password, if so, credit his account and then purchase the book for him and it will whisper sync to his kindle. (Send him to  bed early on xmas eve!)

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »
they ended up gifting to me via the US store and the books were added on my US kindle account.
This might work! The books I want are available in the US Amazon. How do I know if his Kindle account is a US or UK one (I'm guessing it'd be UK)? From your point of view, is it a pain to switch between accounts, or do the books on those accounts all just go into the same pot? thanks!
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
18 Sep 10 - wedding!

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
This might work! The books I want are available in the US Amazon. How do I know if his Kindle account is a US or UK one (I'm guessing it'd be UK)? From your point of view, is it a pain to switch between accounts, or do the books on those accounts all just go into the same pot? thanks!

Well, you can have both accounts  that's what I do and I swap between them, if a book is cheaper on the US store I buy it there, cheaper on the UK store, buy it there. It's about two clicks to switch between accounts, it's on amazon in the "manage your kindle" settings, you can change that at will as it isn't your billing address, I use my MiL's address in the US as my "delivery" address there.

They did block me from buying more US books at one point as they noticed I was in the UK, so I got the boy to call up with his best Texan drawl and they unlocked it, but that was a couple of years ago now.

Most of the time the US store is cheaper so I use that, (it also has MUCH better range of books). I haven't used my UK account in months. If he buys his kindle books via .co.uk he has a uk account, if he's paying in $ on .com he has a US account.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
EN has described it really well here - http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=69222.0

At that point I just had a US account (with UK debit card), I now have both, but mainly use US :)

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »
Awesome thanks SO much for explaining all this!!
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
18 Sep 10 - wedding!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »
Well, you can have both accounts  that's what I do and I swap between them, if a book is cheaper on the US store I buy it there, cheaper on the UK store, buy it there. It's about two clicks to switch between accounts, it's on amazon in the "manage your kindle" settings, you can change that at will as it isn't your billing address, I use my MiL's address in the US as my "delivery" address there.

Thats good to know and you've just answered a question we had. Which was that I bought DW a Kindle for aher birthday and bought from Amazon.com and had it shipped to the friends we were staying with for Thanskgiving as it was much cheaper over there. She then downloaded a couple of books over there which aren't available on the amazon.co.uk site and I wondered if it would delete these books if you switched the settings to be a UK based and not US.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

Sponsored Links