Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Will a UK solicitor know if my living trust is valid here?  (Read 716 times)

• Liked: 0
Will a UK solicitor know if my living trust is valid here?
« on: September 19, 2004, 11:44:19 AM »
I know this topic has come up before but I am searching for a definitive yes or no answer on living trusts and wills.  If I have a living trust drawn up by a US trust attorney, is it valid in the UK if god forbid something happens to DH or me?

Or do we need two trusts?  Is there such a thing as a trust (vs a will) in the UK?

Has anyone contacted a solictor here to find out these answers?

Thanks and sorry for all these questions. :)

• Liked: 0
Re: Will a UK solicitor know if my living trust is valid here?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 07:30:44 AM »
Can't remember where I heard this but I'm pretty sure it was from a Barrister friend of ours. Your Wills and Trusts from the US are only valid in the US...Vice versa. You would need to have your Will drawn up by a UK Solicitor in order foe things to go accordingly in the UK. I also heard that if you have a US Will and were to expire in the UK after making the UK yuour Perm Residence then your Will in the US can be contested, considered invalid and automatically be turned over to the Probate Courts. Sucks, I know but to be on the safe side...I would have them drawn up in both countries and I would also make video tapes to leave in a safe deposit box  somewhere because they can't dispute You being you on video.

Re: Will a UK solicitor know if my living trust is valid here?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 04:22:32 PM »
There's a bit about it on this thread.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3967.0

Sponsored Links